• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Connect with mu edit REMOTELY

Reaction score
Mu Editor 2.1
MU Editor is a program that lets you (or a remote GM) do reg, vault edits, character changes
get the program here:

How do I connect remotely with MU Editor?

Go to start > programs > administartive tools >data sources (ODBC)
On the new window, select system dsn, then click the add button, select sql server, click finish.

For the name put MuOnline, on the server put the ip address of the MU Server, click next.

Select "with sql server auth...", then on login put sa and password (the password of the sa user on the sql server running on the MU Server), then next.

Select "changing the default database" and MuOnline, click next and finish

Now change SQL Authentication (Enterprice Manager > Action > Properties > General > Security) Set it to 'SQL Server and Windows'

Make a new account with all rights to MuOnline and Ranking.

Now go to the MuEditor folder, open the dsn.ini file
Only change the password to the password of the user on the sql server running on the MU Server)

IF THE OTHER COMPUTER HAS A ROUTER AND A FIREWALL, MAKE SURE THEY UNBLOCKED MuEditor and THE PORT 1433!!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Dude everyone apreciates this. But the most replies on a post are questions.. from ppl who didn't understand :) So u should be happy cause u're guide was good and there weren't any questions :p

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I made what u said and disabeled the firewall but still doesnt let me connect :((

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
yea.. nice guide.. archmage2 is banned. why? btw u can help me alot dude!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
thnx for the portinfo, that was what i needed . Thnx

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
PLz help me

Hi, plz can you help me??
i read post carefully and i make it all carefully
but it doesnt work!!
plzz help me :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Mu Editor 2.1
MU Editor is a program that lets you (or a remote GM) do reg, vault edits, character changes
get the program here:

How do I connect remotely with MU Editor?

Go to start > programs > administartive tools >data sources (ODBC)
On the new window, select system dsn, then click the add button, select sql server, click finish.

For the name put MuOnline, on the server put the ip address of the MU Server, click next.

Select "with sql server auth...", then on login put sa and password (the password of the sa user on the sql server running on the MU Server), then next.

Select "changing the default database" and MuOnline, click next and finish

Now change SQL Authentication (Enterprice Manager > Action > Properties > General > Security) Set it to 'SQL Server and Windows'

Make a new account with all rights to MuOnline and Ranking.

Now go to the MuEditor folder, open the dsn.ini file
Only change the password to the password of the user on the sql server running on the MU Server)

IF THE OTHER COMPUTER HAS A ROUTER AND A FIREWALL, MAKE SURE THEY UNBLOCKED MuEditor and THE PORT 1433!!
NIce but some problems :
First of all if u let anybody connect to youre sql remotley than that means that u can be hacked very easley
Second if u block SQl from firewall than that means that nobody can access SQl database in any other way that from MuServer...

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
NIce but some problems :
First of all if u let anybody connect to youre sql remotley than that means that u can be hacked very easley
Second if u block SQl from firewall than that means that nobody can access SQl database in any other way that from MuServer...

Config your firewall to let paticular ip's connect, not very intelligent are you? lol

Z80

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I think all of above have some good parts, but nobody tells it all!
1) You have to make sure, that SP4 for SQL2000 is installed!
2) You have to configure your SQL server for remote access.
Its not the best idea to use port 1433. Many attacks which have nothing to do with MU are active on this port!
You can use port 2433 and HIDE your server. You have to configure this with the Server Network Utility from SQL 2000. Keep in mind to configure the TCP/IP Properties ^^!
3) After that, restart your sql server.
4) Start your Enterprise Manager and create a strong!! password for the sa login!
5) Create a new login, i.e. MuBoss, with a strong!! password and grant public and ownership to the db Muonline and Ranking.
6) Don´t use the sa user for any part of you muserver. Use the new "MuBoss"!
After that, restart your sql server.
Now you server is prepared for secure remote access to your sql database.

Client side:
Here you have 2 options:
A)
If you have sql client tools installed you can create a server alias with the Client Network Utility, i.e. MU-remote.
Rember, you have to configure the TCP/IP not named-pipe, etc...
(See picture), Unmark dynamic port detection and put port 2433 here.
This gives you the advantage to register your remote sql server, and you will gain access to you database with the enterprise manager and the query analizer.
You have to create a ODBC to access your remote server with MUEditor.
If you don´t know how to create an ODBC - check out the attached screens .....
Rember: User is "MuBoss", xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your global IP or in case of no-ip (Dyn.DNS) or similar, put your Dyn.DNS here. Check the client options and replace server name with your global IP or Dyn.DNS. Ckeck the port: make sure its 2433!
Finish the steps for creating the ODBC (checkout that you are connecting to the MuOnline database, and finish the ODBC.

Last thing: modify your ini file of the MuEditor, using your new created ODBC instead of MuOnline , MuBoss as user, and the databases Muonline and Ranking.

B)
If you dont have SQL client tools installed, just create the ODBC as discribed above. In this case MuEditor works fine, but you dont have the enterprise manger and query analizer remotely!

Now release port 2433 for TCP at you router (firewall). Blocking MS-SQLserver by your firewall make no sense. SQL needs to broadcast on your LOCAL network.

Some comments: Who says that you have to grant access to your sql server for everyone??? You will do this only for 1 or some special persons.
You will no publish your remote access, do you?? Not knowing the access and the strong!! password on a hidden SQL server, who will "hack" this??? Now you understand why NOT using the sa account!!
If your staff is not reliable, and giving secret informations away, this can be hardly controlled by an operating system. But this has nothing to do with attacks from hackers, lol!

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
-Element I'd like to inform you that your link for the mu editor download is dead and you should fix it.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Re: [Guide] Connect with mu edit REMOTELY

i tought this guide never worked i tryed it right now and it didnt get some odcb error

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Re: [Guide] Connect with mu edit REMOTELY

Great Guide Man, im going to try it and see if it works with my data source problem...LOL

Back