Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Common Beginner Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deny everything.
Reaction score
Repeating answers is a pain in the butt. So let's collect all the common questions that pop up on a weekly basis and compile them into one big thread.

Please note that this thread does not deal with PHP or SQL problems. You're required to solve those yourself.

General Questions

Anything I should know before starting?
Yes, you should absolutely read this thread first and decide for yourself what to make of it.

You have been warned.

What software do I need to run the Pangya server 4.9?
You need the server software itself and Microsoft SQL Server. Any edition starting from 2005 and newer will do.

If you run the server on a different machine than SQL Server, you will also need to install SQL Server Native Client as an access driver on that computer.

Too many threads! Is there any step-by-step tutorial to get me started?
You can give terrorofdeath's tutorial a spin.

I need the challenge, I want to contribute! Is there a todo list?
Yes, there is.

I think you're missing a common question.
That's not a question. Anyway... send me a PM with the question and a link to the answer (or include the answer in the PM) and the question shall be added. If you derive the answer from other people's posts please give credit.

First Setup, Database

Can the server software work with MySQL, Postgre SQL or Oracle instead of Microsoft SQL?
The databases are making use of some MS-SQL specific features, so the answer is "no".

I run the Pangya_S4_TH.sql or INI3Bill_DB.sql and get a lot of errors. Is this normal?
Yes, that's normal. The dumps are incomplete, therefore some references are missing. As long as it doesn't disturb the commonly used features, it shouldn't matter.

I get F_ODBC errors stating it cannot connect to the database. What's wrong?
The most likely cause is that you did not create the system-dsn connections for ODBC. Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Data Sources and add three new System-DSN connections:
  • Pangya_S4_TH
  • INI3Bill_DB
  • ini3_py_account

Make sure you use the Native Client as access driver.

Note to 64bit users: Please read when setting up DSN connections; 64bit Windows systems differentiate between 32bit and 64bit ODBC connections.

If you still encounter problems on 64bit systems, you can try the SQL Server driver instead (solution suggested by Baharia).

How do I create user accounts?
Execute the stored procedures SP_PANGYA_REGIST and SP_PANGYA_ACTIVATE in ini3_py_account.

What do the values in SP_PANGYA_REGIST mean?
@idcard: I treat this as an increasing int, starting from 1 I always increase the value by 1 for every account.
@sex: 0 = Male, 1 = Female
@birthday: Necessary, format is YYYYMMDD, i.e. 19801224
@zipcode: 00000 sounds like a great area to live in if you don't want to provide this information.
@id: The account login name, i.e. tsukasa.
@pswd: No explanation necessary...

I tried using SP_PANGYA_REGIST but I always get errors regarding Visa_Ref. What's wrong?
You need to alter the table Ini3_UserLogin to allow NULL values for the Visa_Ref and VisaIDCard fields.

How do I make a GM account?
After registering your account you login, create the character name etc., logout and open Pangya_S4_TH's Pangya_Member_Info table and set the "capability" value of your account from 0 to 4.

Can't I just insert rows directly into the tables?
If there's a stored procedure for it, please use it.

How do I add Pang and Cookies?
To add Pang you can execute the stored procedure Ini3sp_AddPang. There are various ways to add Cookies, see this post.

I heard there is a way to enable self-design (UCC) and Ghost mode but I can't find the files or the threads. What's with that?
People didn't have a handle on their web-server setups, causing both systems to behave erratic. Combine this with a lack of knowledge in PHP, the unwillingness of those people to debug or even provide a packet-sniff of the HTTP reply and you get the picture... too many generic "here's a screenshot, fix my problem" or "your poop doesn't work" PMs.

Biting the hand that feeds you is usually a bad idea. As a consequence the files have been pulled and no further support will be given.

You can thank the legions of brainless blokes for that.

It has also been brought to my attention that some people are making use of this situation trying to sell these files. Do not pay for them, you're obviously getting scammed. The UCC and Ghost systems are free - everyone who offers them for money is nothing but the lowest form of scum.

Running the Server

Yay, server is up and running! But I cannot login. I get the message "down due to maintenance"
Type "alluseropen" into the login-server window and press enter.

The ticker doesn't seem to work, the messages are empty.
Make sure the pangya_th.iff file in the Login and Game server directory is the same as on the latest client PAK.

I am GM, what commands can I use?
Ingame type /command into the chat to see a list of available commands at your level.

You can get help for each of these commands by typing /help <commandname>.

I have edited the items/updated my client and get a "item not on sale" message every time I try to buy an item. What's wrong?
The pangya_th.iff file on the server is not the same as on the client. Example: while your client handles an item as something you can buy, the server does not - resulting in you getting an error.

To fix this, simply replace the pangya_th.iff file in the Login and Game server directories with the one you edited/updated.

In the case you updated your client, simply unpack the latest PAK file and copy the pangya_th.iff you get from it to the Login and Game server directories.

I want to raise the drop- and exp-rates and enable the Angel Wings. How does this work?
You need to familiarize yourself with the GMtool interface. Read the thread (that means: The entire thread!), it contains practical examples for all these use cases.

Client

Do I have to use the Pangya TH client or can I use my US client?
You have to use the TH client.

If you're concerned about the ingame graphics and texts, please rest assured: By unpacking and copying the necessary graphics and .dat files from your English Pangya client you can fully translate the TH one.

Please be aware that copying the IFF files from JP/KR will not work, the files have a slightly different layout the TH client does not understand.

As soon as I open the game, it crashes back to the desktop. What's going on?
You need to up- or downgrade your Wangreal.dll.

I've read about the TH IFF encryption. What's the deal with that?
Starting with 585.00 the client has been changed to make use of encrypted IFF files and use a slightly changed login procedure.

This is an answer to the growing problem of private servers. Use 584.05 or 584.04 executables/IFFs as your base.

There's currently no publicly available way to decrypt these files.

So how do I unpack these encrypted IFF files?
See the previous point. There's currently no publicly available way to decrypt these files.

I cannot start the client. It says "Please reinstall or run the updater". What can I do?
Create a new batch file with the following contents and run it:

(For 32bit systems)
Code:
@echo off
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Ntreev\PangYa_Th /v Patcher /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "update.exe"
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Ntreev\PangYa_Th /v PatchNum /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "185"
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Ntreev\PangYa_Th /v IntegratedPak /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "projectg500+.pak"
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Ntreev\PangYa_Th /v Ver /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "TH.R4.583.02"

(For 64bit systems, courtesy of Sonict)
Code:
@echo on
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ntreev\PangYa_Th /v Patcher /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "update.exe"
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ntreev\PangYa_Th /v PatchNum /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "185"
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ntreev\PangYa_Th /v IntegratedPak /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "projectg500+.pak"
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ntreev\PangYa_Th /v Ver /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "TH.R4.583.02"

Note: On Windows Vista and newer you have to run the batch file as administrator. Either right-click on the batch and select "Run as Administrator" or start it from an elevated command prompt.

Client should start fine afterwards.

When I start ProjectG.exe I get an "error occurred while receiving the file list from the server" message. What is this about?
Believe it or not - every time you start your ProjectG.exe the game will check ini3's official patch-server for updates.

The game does this to determine whether it has been tempered with (this check is deactivated in hexed releases here!) and to determine which PAK files to load.

Since ini3 cannot provide a perfect 100% uptime service or you might be trying to play offline, this won't check out - the file cannot be downloaded and you will get the error message.

Luckily you can set up your own patch-server, it is ideal for LAN play.

The simple steps to success are:
  • Grab the updatelist from
  • Get portable XAMPP, IIS or whatever webserver you like up and running on your local machine/server.
  • Create a new directory patch_S4 in the htdocs or webroot folder of your webserver and place the updatelist you grabbed in it.
  • Open your ProjectG.exe with a hex editor, search for patch.pangya.in.th and replace it with your machine's hostname/IP address. If your modification uses less characters than the original address, fill up the rest of the address with the hex values 00.

FFS! I'm stuck on the server chooser at my first login and there's nothing to choose. What's wrong?
It's a known issue. Just exit the client and log-in again and it'll work.

Every time I try to create a game I get prompted to update to the latest version. What's wrong?
The server only accepts game clients with a specific version string. This string is usually in sync with the update number (or very close to it).

When you download a fixed executable from here you'll notice that the topic contains a version number (i.e. 584.00). This is the version string you must use in the database.

To check up the value you can query the table Pangya_Server_Config which is part of the database Pangya_S4_TH:
Code:
USE Pangya_S4_TH
GO

SELECT * FROM Pangya_Server_Config

To alter the value there are two ways of doing it. I will show both ways here; I do recommend the first one, it does not require you to restart your game-server (so basically you can do live updates):

Method 1: Using the GMtool interface
Code:
USE Pangya_S4_TH
GO

INSERT INTO Pangya_Server_Command
( Command, Arg1, Arg5, Target ) 
VALUES
( 11, 1, '584.00', 20201 )

Method 2: Altering the values manually
Code:
USE Pangya_S4_TH
GO

UPDATE Pangya_Server_Config SET client_version = '584.00'

Be sure to restart the server components afterwards for the changes to take effect.

I want to modify items. How do I do that?
Read the release thread. It explains in detail how to edit items. If you want to learn more about the internal structure of Pangya's IFF files, I recommend reading this thread.

Can I modify items without hex editing them?
Nope, the IFF files are also used on the server side, so you need to modify them.

I have created my own PAK file but the items don't show up. What's that about?
You need to rename the PAK file to the latest one in your directory. If you've installed update 584.01 then the latest PAK file is most likely projectg584tha.pak. Unpack it, replace what you want replaced, repack it and use it ingame.

Please note that if there are "newer" PAK files in the directory, the contents of these files take priority over files present in older PAK files.

I have seen these incredible anime models for Pangya on Youtube (like Shana, Suzumiya Haruhi, OS-tan, Aisaka Taiga, Misaka Mikoto etc.). Where can I get them?
These modifications have never been released to the public, so you won't be able to get them. If, by any remote chance, you should get your hands on any of them, please feel free to post them here.

The "I want" and "I need" questions
(You better don't ask those!)

Feature XYZ doesn't work.
D'uh! The database is incomplete, so instead of complaining start contributing and help fixing it. Less complaining, more fixing! :laugh:

I need GM tools. Where are the GM tools?
None available.

I need events. Where are the events?
None available.

ถ้าปะการังฟอกขาวไม่ถูกเอาไ
Sorry, I copied that from Yahoo! and have no idea what it means. So please keep it English in here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back