Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Development] Reconstructing Shockwave MMOCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: No longer developing an MMOCC, but I still need a team for a reconstruction!

Sup, G's of /f206/.

Background Info
So instead of building a new MMOCC, I'd rather rebuild one of my all-time favorites. You've probably seen the name Spineworld at least once online. Either here or on Miniclip, or on the actual game itself! Just a little bit of background information on it, Spineworld was a creation of Playdo AB back in 2006/2007. It's an isometric, non-tile based, Shockwave game, whose concept and draft artwork was actually drawn up by an artist that did a fair amount of work for Harry Potter (Not sure which but he was a big player, and this information comes from the second-in-command of the office). If you've never seen Spineworld, then know that "beautiful" is an unfit descriptor of the artwork. More like fantastical, and magical. It's all pixel art that belongs in a museum. It shut down in early 2010, being replaced by Migoland, which was a huge disappointment for all of its fans.

Project Information
That being said, one amazing man ThuGuie (AKA MaouKami) had archived some DCRs from 2008 and created a functioning server for them. Unfortunately, these files are pretty boring and are missing quite a few features. Considering there are no public Director decompilers available (due to the file formats of Director like .DIR, .CCT, and .DCR being closed, unlike Flash's .FLVs and .SWFs), it's made restoring the client to its original conditions an impossible task. Unless..there happened to be a crack team of people willing to help out? What the project needs is a group of Spineworld, MMOCC, or just MMO enthusiasts willing to research the game's inner-mechanics and help us time travel to the game's world as it was in 2009. Nobody needs much for this project besides..a heart of gold<3 Kidding, but seriously you probably should know a little about Adobe Director, Shockwave, and Lingo. And probably be an OK artist.

PM me, post a profile message, or email me at hunter.kirkland@live.com if you believe in this magic!

Last edited:
凸(ಠ益ಠ)凸
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Re: [Development] New MMOCC

Sounds interesting and fun. Shame i don't have enough pixeling experience or else i would of given you a hand.

凸(ಠ益ಠ)凸
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Either way, you would still need the rest of the team.

ThuGie.NL - Webmaster
Reaction score

Just wondering,
Why are you limiting the client to Flash ?
Android stopped supporting it, or was it flash stopped supporting android.. well anyway.
These days there are way more options like HTML5, works on mobiles a well!

Since your not making the client, any language should be fine, and it would give more people a chance to join.
As per server, Even if client is made in Flash, there should be no need for the Server creator to know the language,
As long as the protocol is documented and well explained any language should be fine for that as well.

Good luck with the project.

Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Just wondering,
Why are you limiting the client to Flash ?
Android stopped supporting it, or was it flash stopped supporting android.. well anyway.
These days there are way more options like HTML5, works on mobiles a well!

Since your not making the client, any language should be fine, and it would give more people a chance to join.
As per server, Even if client is made in Flash, there should be no need for the Server creator to know the language,
As long as the protocol is documented and well explained any language should be fine for that as well.

Good luck with the project.

Thanks for the feedback. Adobe was the one to cut off support, not Android.

99% of browsers support Flash, only 82% support HTML5. You can compile a whole library of media and resources in an SWF file, but with HTML5 you have many directories and files, and you have to protect them. No HTML5 editors/workbenches are really prominent and/or good.

This game isn't built for mobile, I don't know how that should be a factor. HTML5 development seems much more difficult and unsupported than Flash. Flash is more unified than HTML5. In Flash you only need to worry about AS3. In HTML5 you need to worry about CSS, JS, and HTML itself.

I only asked that the server programmer be familiar with AS3 because it'd be a huge bonus to find a client and server-side programmer. Like, just because I'm hosting the socket server doesn't mean I don't need to be familiar with .NET framework (Assuming the server is written in C#).

凸(ಠ益ಠ)凸
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Yes which is why I'm worried I won't be able to form one without paying them. What skills do you have, at least?

I don't have any programming experience if that's what your asking?

凸(ಠ益ಠ)凸
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Done quite a lot of graphics, for my past servers ( Not incredible, but i do what needs to be done) . A little of music producing, but haven't found time or a program i felt comfortable with. Programming i have no ability to, but i have work on a lot of sql databases.

Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Done quite a lot of graphics, for my past servers ( Not incredible, but i do what needs to be done) . A little of music producing, but haven't found time or a program i felt comfortable with. Programming i have no ability to, but i have work on a lot of sql databases.

What kind of music do you produce dude? :p Have you tried FL Studio?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback. Adobe was the one to cut off support, not Android.

99% of browsers support Flash, only 82% support HTML5. You can compile a whole library of media and resources in an SWF file, but with HTML5 you have many directories and files, and you have to protect them. No HTML5 editors/workbenches are really prominent and/or good.

This game isn't built for mobile, I don't know how that should be a factor. HTML5 development seems much more difficult and unsupported than Flash. Flash is more unified than HTML5. In Flash you only need to worry about AS3. In HTML5 you need to worry about CSS, JS, and HTML itself.

I only asked that the server programmer be familiar with AS3 because it'd be a huge bonus to find a client and server-side programmer. Like, just because I'm hosting the socket server doesn't mean I don't need to be familiar with .NET framework (Assuming the server is written in C#).

Just touching on HTML5, from what I understand it's just javascript, so any IDE will do.... Not sure where you get "HTML 5 Editors"...

Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Just touching on HTML5, from what I understand it's just javascript, so any IDE will do.... Not sure where you get "HTML 5 Editors"...

As in design labs. Like, with Flash IDEs you can debug a project, test out movements, and with HTML5 you need a browser. It's a weak argument but for some people it might make a difference to have an 'official' IDE for writing and testing.

That's another issue though. Why call it "HTML5"? All it is is the same Javascript that's been there and a few new elements. It doesn't seem more or less powerful, it just seems like more people are using animation tools in HTML.

Reaction score

Please keep it on-topic of actual recruiting questions, if you have anything else to say PM each other. Thanks.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Answer why this needs reconstructing because I did a search already and found two results.

Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Answer why this needs reconstructing because I did a search already and found two results.

Ah, sorry for the late reply.

See, the first result is an older version that we are trying to update. And Migoland is the poop version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back