Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Q&A: Is the RuneScape section dead?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Good day to all,

My question today is Is the RuneScape section dead?
I shall be answering this question.

RuneScape started off as a sweet MMORPG, which kept growing and growing. And once Private Servers hit out, the community slowly left RuneScape to create servers or join them.
RuneScape servers I would say are one of the top 5 private servers of all time, why? They are strong and full of features, Java itself is quite an easy language to learn. The structure of RuneScape Servers are just amazingly set out, It depends what source you download and how you make it.

Back to the question itself,
On many scales the RuneScape section here is dead but still slowly growing, within our footsteps are still functioning amazing and popular sources and worthy tutorials.
With over thousands playing RuneScape Private Servers(RSPS), where are they possibly going to develop,discuss and share?
RuneScape Private Servers always have at least 1-2 strong community forums which will let you do them very listed features (Download,Help,Discuss,Troll,GFX and others), and the most popular at this time is Rune-Server, which is were I am assuming all the RuneScape Guru's and RSPS Guru's are at, which is why this forum itself is starting to die out.

I am starting to think the RuneScape section should be moved or migrated in MMORPG Extra's for the time being as it'll bring a hopefully bigger crowd to it's eyes.

Thanks for reading!
-NintendoDS :8:

Reaction score
Is this a stealth advert?

You're right, the section IS dead, actually pending archival. It is due to the fact that all of our best developers left for other projects and games. I'm the only one left, but I cannot call myself an expert anymore, as I've switched professions and do not focus a lot of my energy into programming anymore.

A few old faces pop up and things look cheery for a bit, but it won't change the fact that RaGEZONE just doesn't have the intelligence level to produce anymore top notch developers internally. Everyone would rather stick to easy things like maplestory, with it's developed emulator, and Habbo Hotel, with it's stupidly easy everything

The light can't stop me.
Reaction score
It's a bloody shame this section died, I remember when I first joined RZ, there were so many people here.. :/

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Pssht who said this section was dead?
You're obviously not a ghost whisper like us lot ;p

On a serious note, if someone made a decent server I'd prolly play it.
Don't develop 'cause I'm thick.

Ex-Mod
Reaction score
My opinion?

Archive it.

I was one of the first RS mods, I was a mod right when the first RS releases were out - back when all you did was walk around and chat.

Sure, it has evolved... but look at it... posts are days if not weeks old, without replies.

Archive it, and find a new MMORPG.

Just saying.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
With what I've said, RSPS Community's altogether are dying. MoparScape only has 20 users online nowadays and Rune-Server only 40, RS-PS is dead .
RuneScape will probably die in a few years time too.

Reaction score
Jagex are struggling themselves, you have seen them reopening old classic servers etc, to gain more players...
Problem is nowadays is that MOST pservers are exactly the same, there are only 2 or 3 servers out there that are worth playing and have decent devs.

I myself did a lot of Runescape work, but moved onto gunz, now im done with that and just getting on with my life and on rare occasions check different sections of Ragezone.

I think this applies to mainly everyone that was here with me and the other devs a few years back now, just hope everyone is well ;)
<3 Joe

☮TAKU????
Reaction score
I wish the RS section was more active. I can't seem to like other RS-reletated forums

Ex-Mod
Reaction score
Things come and go, fade in and out.... time to move on.

I used to be into Runescape, not anymore.

The light can't stop me.
Reaction score
I'm too busy nowadays with Uni work and stuff which is a real shame. I play oldschoolscape occasionally so if anyone wants to hmu, send me your ign. :)

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
they should add a 07scape section,since many people play that,and its alot better too

There's no RL just AFK
Reaction score
Is this a stealth advert?

You're right, the section IS dead, actually pending archival. It is due to the fact that all of our best developers left for other projects and games. I'm the only one left, but I cannot call myself an expert anymore, as I've switched professions and do not focus a lot of my energy into programming anymore.

A few old faces pop up and things look cheery for a bit, but it won't change the fact that RaGEZONE just doesn't have the intelligence level to produce anymore top notch developers internally. Everyone would rather stick to easy things like maplestory, with it's developed emulator, and Habbo Hotel, with it's stupidly easy everything

It's a shame to read that the section now finally faces archival, after all it's been through and the faces that have come and gone. I appologise for being one of those faces that slowly disappeared into the void, but when I started uni I no-longer had time for server development, as Ghost says, we all have things to focus on and programming the servers was time consuming.
I've always been around, snooping here and there to see if there have been any new posts made in the section, or anything interesting going on, and as bitblaster (nice to see you're still here too btw), says, it's far and few between with the replies :(

As this thread shows, there are still a few old school members here, but none of us are actively developing anymore :(

I do however hope you're all doing well, I do miss the scene we once had, but I can provide no answers to it being saved from archival.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I know this thread is a few months old but the section is dead anyway as we've established here.

RuneScape will probably die in a few years time too.

RuneScape won't die in a few years time, it'll go on much longer than that. It's one of the biggest MMORPG's just now and is probably the best browser-based one and with this new RuneScape 3 coming out you'll probably get a lot more people joining too. There are still between 50-100k people online average on RuneScape so I don't see how they will all quit within a few years unless Jagex done something completely stupid (it would have to be worse than removing the wilderness).

Private servers are dying because basically they suck. It's too easy, you get to the highest levels in every skill no bother and once you've done that you'll find everybody else has max stats and are as rich as duck which leaves no challenge and no feeling of accomplishment when you even get your first 99.

A lot of people only played private servers so they can play the old RuneScape again but now that they released that Rs2007 people have went back to that (well the ones that are still interested in RS anyway, which probably wouldn't be a lot but still).

In RuneScape it is a lot more challenging to get skills up, it is a lot harder to get rich, there are loads of fully-working quests, more minigames, that proper clan poop and a load more stuff. Sure most people would say it's better to get skills up really easy and getting loads of money and items easy but it get's far too boring.

Just my opinion anyway.

Reaction score
You're wrong about that, michael. Runescape Private server development Will eventually die out, and not for the reasons that you highlight.

Yes, players play it for the old school feel, but they have RS2007 for that now (and boy, is it fun). What is killing RS private server dev is the stingy developers themselves. On top of being a low-skill population of programmers, we have every kid on the block not wanting their code "leeched." This is what started the decline here, and I'm guilt of it as well.

See, most sources still use the same fundamental code, and it's not very good. While we have bad-asses like Graham, Super_ and Luke from RS-Server that shell out high-quality frameworks, that's all they are... Frameworks. They have a good knowledge of the game's functionality, but not of the game itself. They end up perpetually releasing more frameworks instead of doing what matters; getting content working is last on the to-do list.

This, in turn spawns out the "servers suck too easy nothing to do" attitude that drives PS users back to official. If there was a community project, like WoW's MangOS or maple's open source projects. If we had a community actually LEARN the game client and the server framework, we could have many developers add their content to the game (after some discretion of course). If we had something like that, our feature list would be a lot more complete. RS itself is a lot smaller than wow, and a community of a few hundred could easily populate content while a handful of core programmers ensure stability.

This section died beacuse we didn't think like that, so our developers grew tired of just making frameworks. I did. Jangan did, Fedexer moved on, and so on and so forth. It won't be coming back here.

Reaction score
RuneScape itself is dying, not rsps. As long as Jagex is adding useless, and just down right stupid content the RSPS industry will expand, this section might be dying, but as long as I'm here I'll do my best to keep it active, I will be releasing old servers of mine a long with writing tutorials amd snippets and helping the noobs in the help section. I will maintain this section the best of my abilities, and that is a fact.
I really do hope to bring this section back to its full potential.
Thanks,
Bickets.
P.s. I am NOT a amuetur and ill introduce myself soon!

Reaction score
And it took you two years to accrue 10 posts? I'm sorry, but you're going to end up like everyone else that brags about how they're going to revive the section.

And I don't know about you, but RuneScape is stronger than ever, ESPECIALLY with the launch of RS3. Bringing back old school RS has also brought in a bunch more players from the Private Server scene. I personally have invested much more time playing rs2007 than developing in the last 6 months. I see at least 20k on rs2007, and that's good enough for them to keep it alive (20k x 8$ a month).

Reaction score
It's been dead for a long time now...

The main reason (in my opinion) why it's dead, is because the whole community expects developers to finish stuff for them. Most developers will try their best to add content, but it gets really repetitive and boring after adding some content. That's exactly what happened to me, I created Jolt, created a nice base to work with, and got bored once everyone expected me to add all these skills, etc. Now I am so out of sync with RS overall.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Runescape is dead. Runescape forums are dead. Everything about Runescape is dead. Why? Because like every single other online game maker, Jagex is incredibly greedy. They have also ventured much too far past what they were ever intended to become. The game was muhc better before the Grand Exchange ever came around, but even when the Grand Exchange was there, it was a relatively fun game to play. Once they started expanding farther out into the Members Only areas and even minimized the free-play portion, everything went downhill. All of the buttons changed, there were too many add-ons, and many of the old members didn't want to deal with the change. I know I didn't.

Runescape did the same thing that many other games have done: developed far past what the players wanted, and at a much faster pace than they should have.

Rogu3
Reaction score
I'm not a very active user in this section or on RuneScape anymore, but I don't think it can be revived. I mean sure, at first, RSPS was a good idea, but everything goes bad when anyone can start opening them up just like Habbo "Retros". At the same rate, the game does not require money or membership to have fun or get money. So, there's not much of a need for RSPS, but some people just like everything free.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
And it took you two years to accrue 10 posts? I'm sorry, but you're going to end up like everyone else that brags about how they're going to revive the section.

And I don't know about you, but RuneScape is stronger than ever, ESPECIALLY with the launch of RS3. Bringing back old school RS has also brought in a bunch more players from the Private Server scene. I personally have invested much more time playing rs2007 than developing in the last 6 months. I see at least 20k on rs2007, and that's good enough for them to keep it alive (20k x 8$ a month).

I'm Learning Programming (Java, c) and more, I'm Still Newbie, But I'll Learn in sites for now and between 1-2 months I'll get books to read for Programming so I Can Become a Programmer for RuneScape Section, And I'm a big fan of RS and I've server, and i'll start Release things

Note:: I'll work more in my Grammar Too xD :thumbup1:

Back