Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Adsense Advertisments Within Client

Xca

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Acclaim, Inc, in 2005 developed an ingame advertising popup window which would generate the company money by all of the players simply seeing the ads in their F2P mmorpg, 2Moons (known as Dekaron now).

Lots of KalOnline deals with popup windows, and Adsense has many js libraries. I wonder if this idea can become a possibility..

The code is floating around the Dekaron forums in their client.

Thoughts?

Xca

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Good question. But this would fall under the same protocol as ads being on SQL games, or iPhone games with popup ads.

If this was true, RageZone owner, MentaL's adsense account would be suspended as well.
http://forum.ragezone.com/play/goodgameempire/

It wouldn't be a violation so getting this to work would be very profitable. ^^

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Idea is good however ad serving is not just simple banner showing everytime when someone ask for it. There's a lot of javascripting behind this to detect if you are watching this from mobile or desktop, which useragent or even version of your OS and screen size or is this window actually active. If something is not okay with target you will receive nofill errors. To get this working you should play as web browser with specific useragent which is quite easy in c++ but I have no idea how you are going to render this in d3d maybe just some panel on top of kal window? But panel can be easly turned off if someone wouldn't want to see your ads ;/ Then this browser should just show ad from your website. Another problem is that you can't put ads on blank 'adspage' it should be with your content like on server website so another thing to do might be rewriting website to show only some parts of your site (ads) when you call it from your specific useragent. Then it might be working. But as MentaL said above don't play with adsense or anything like this where they serve permament ban per person.

At the end it might be worth just to search ad services where rules allows you to serve ads inside desktop games.
Then they will also provide whole SDK for it.
//Ah and I forgot to mention.. In mobile advertising (and desktop propably too) for games you must agree that you have all rights to this game and to advertising in it :) I know I know - who cares..

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm actually completely certain that they don't allow you to run ads within a game like that. A mobile game and a desktop game are two completely different things, and I can assure you that just like FritzPL said, it's going to be quite the challenge to get it working at all. And 2nd, they will ban you within a second once they are unable to actually test where your ads are being displayed, also that they see that youre running an illegal private server.

If you want to risk your personal AdSense account, be my guest. But I got banned once just for having the phrase "please click" in one of my flash banners on the website (it wasn't actually relevant to the ads, it was a flash thing). Also I did research having ads in games before, especially desktop games as that can give you an additional (small) source of revenue, but unfortunately they will ban you.

Xca

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I have no idea how you are going to render this in d3d maybe just some panel on top of kal window?

Dekaron / 2 Moons have done this, as well PlanetSide2 and EVE Online.

This

REMOVED

Once this is accomplished, the possibilities are endless.
We all (at least i think so) run at least one game server, this is worth experimenting with.

Currently, this is the impressions rate for adsense. $48.50/1000 impressions (ad views).
Have an ad pop up every 30min in kal, that, on a populated server, is $48.50 every 1h 30min.. for as long as you're server is alive. Lazy google employees wont even care to look if you own the game or not and just assume its yours, google makes money off of this stuff.
poop your pants now? Lets do this.

Somebody throw up a calculation how much money this is in 1 year. LOL

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dekaron / 2 Moons have done this, as well PlanetSide2 and EVE Online.

This

REMOVED

Once this is accomplished, the possibilities are endless.
We all (at least i think so) run at least one game server, this is worth experimenting with.

Currently, this is the impressions rate for adsense. $48.50/1000 impressions (ad views).
Have an ad pop up every 30min in kal, that, on a populated server, is $48.50 every 1h 30min.. for as long as you're server is alive. Lazy google employees wont even care to look if you own the game or not and just assume its yours, google makes money off of this stuff.
poop your pants now? Lets do this.

Somebody throw up a calculation how much money this is in 1 year. LOL

Sorry for being so slow to respond to this, and sorry for bursting your bubble:

This

lxgx493 - Adsense Advertisments Within Client - RaGEZONE Forums

What you are planning to do is:

1. Against multiple parts of the Google TOS. Including but not limited to:
- Publishing ads on something you don't own, or have the rights to.
- Against their TOS on integration
- Not documented as a actual integration method (ie, you need to "hack it in")

2. Illegal, plain and simple. Now, we all know that hosting a KalOnline server isn't always legit, however this kind of crosses the line, as you start drawing attention to yourself quite a bit, and start inconveniencing your players (kind of defeats the purpose of pservers morally don't you think?).

Also, if you think Google don't check these types of things out, you are very naive :). They do, as they have obligations to their customers (the advertisers), and they are very strict and very good at what they do. Also, you would have to mimic a lot of stuff in order for this to work properly, and having one useragent always download the ads etc is pretty damn obvious, so they'll suspend your account on that basis alone. ESPECIALLY if you start making a lot of money off of this.

In their eyes, banning your account is just enforcing their own TOS, and the employee doesn't see a differnece in wage from banning you, so he/she won't care, and on top of that, I really don't think google thinks your account on there makes any difference on their bottom line at the end of the year ;).

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list

Xca

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
biggest load of google poop ive ever read.
apparently, google has double-standards; allowing ads to be displayed on hand-held computer games, but not desktop/laptop computers games?

thanks for your research.

apparently, ill have to launch automatic notices to get players to click the ads to "pay for $200/m hosting".

Tantra Freelancer
Reaction score
SO from what I understand developers or game owners can't integrate Adsense to their software? and be just allowed to place it within their webpages (correct me if I am wrong)? How about those Google ads popping out in Mobile Games why is it allowed and why it can't be allowed in Desktop Application?

Reaction score
SO from what I understand developers or game owners can't integrate Adsense to their software? and be just allowed to place it within their webpages (correct me if I am wrong)? How about those Google ads popping out in Mobile Games why is it allowed and why it can't be allowed in Desktop Application?

Because an iphone game is not the same as a desktop game. And also, because it says so in the image I posted above. If you want more of an explanation than that, you will have to ask them.

Tantra Freelancer
Reaction score
Because an iphone game is not the same as a desktop game. And also, because it says so in the image I posted above. If you want more of an explanation than that, you will have to ask them.

I see thanks. So any alternative for Adsense then?

Reaction score
I see thanks. So any alternative for Adsense then?

Not really, mainly because you don't own the rights to the game, so no serious ad provider would let you put their ads in the client (as their clients, the advertisers, don't want to be involved in anything that's actually illegal).

Tantra Freelancer
Reaction score
Not really, mainly because you don't own the rights to the game, so no serious ad provider would let you put their ads in the client (as their clients, the advertisers, don't want to be involved in anything that's actually illegal).

Eventhough the said game was long dead? Like there are files here in RageZone that had been release together with tutorials on how to run it and the game was long abandoned few years ago.

Reaction score
Eventhough the said game was long dead? Like there are files here in RageZone that had been release together with tutorials on how to run it and the game was long abandoned few years ago.

It's still the property of NCSoft and unless you buy the license for the game, you don't own it regardless of if the files have been released or not. And even if you do get a license somehow (buy NCSoft or buy the licensing right), you can't integrate the ads since they don't support desktop games. So the only way you would be able to put in the ads is if you:

1. Buy the rights to KalOnline from NCSoft or get a license.
2. Convince google to change their policy, make an exemption for you (no chance of this happening)
or
3. Remake Kal into a tablet/phone game (requires complete rewrite pretty much, so no point).

Tantra Freelancer
Reaction score
It's still the property of NCSoft and unless you buy the license for the game, you don't own it regardless of if the files have been released or not. And even if you do get a license somehow (buy NCSoft or buy the licensing right), you can't integrate the ads since they don't support desktop games. So the only way you would be able to put in the ads is if you:

1. Buy the rights to KalOnline from NCSoft or get a license.
2. Convince google to change their policy, make an exemption for you (no chance of this happening)
or
3. Remake Kal into a tablet/phone game (requires complete rewrite pretty much, so no point).

Thats a full point you cited there mate. I guess I have to jump right in in some advertising sites which could allow copied games. Anyways, may I should plan placing ads on my websites and not in the application itself. Pretty much safe I think.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Well im not so sure about that advertising client thing.
Thats what i think:

1. We host Kal Private Servers without Inix Soft permission, so why should anyone care about Adsense permission?
2. I dont know the policy of Google but there are many other Ads companies out there
3. If you start an HTML Viewer and fetch the content clientside, it would be like opening a website, but ingame. So it is possible to add any website
advertising ingame, with an own small ingame browser adaption.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well im not so sure about that advertising client thing.
Thats what i think:

1. We host Kal Private Servers without Inix Soft permission, so why should anyone care about Adsense permission?
2. I dont know the policy of Google but there are many other Ads companies out there
3. If you start an HTML Viewer and fetch the content clientside, it would be like opening a website, but ingame. So it is possible to add any website
advertising ingame, with an own small ingame browser adaption.

I looked into this for you guys, as my Servers situation is slightly different.

1) you can use Adsense if you have Publishing rights and can provide proof of said contracts.

2) you CAN however use Adsense ONLY in your Game Launcher - provided that you have permission from the coder of said launcher and provide proof of this. If the game Launcher is freeware, you must specify that it is a freeware launcher or provide proof of purchase.

Hope this helps some peeps :)

Back