Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

hi and a few thoughts...about improving the forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Building a community takes time effort and committment.

So first off I want to give thanks and gratitude for everyone who keep's this forum alive.

However, just like in any organization, over time people setup rules, so that one set of rules make it easier to deal with all situations.

However, not all situations are the same, or have the same set of needs or values or cultures.

So while I totally appreciate the technical effort that it requires to keep a site or forums up alive,
building and growing a community sometimes means adapting and trying new ideas, to see what works.

Keep trying, use what works, dump what doesn't.

The problem is that with one site hosting many communities, it becomes easier for admin's to just have one way of doing things, so it is less of a headache to administer.

And I understand and appreciate that.

But that doesn't mean those rules are right.

So here are a few suggestions that I have, some you may like, some you may not, and that's your prerogative.

Suggestion 1.

Create a subforum called "Start Here - Start Hier" and in any other languages that are most common.

Then inside this subforum, are more subforums.

1. Website Setup
2. Database Setup
3. Server Setup
4. Mob Basics
5. Map Basics
6. Item/Weapon/Armor Basics

However you want to do that.

This is not meant in any way to replace tutorials or releases or help.

But to make it far easier for new server people, or old people to refresh their memories, to just go right to the "Start Here" section, have the very simplest and most basic tutorials/guides reposted here.

Plus with translations of those 3-4 posts into several of the most common languages.

Then once everyone agrees that these are the most visual and easiest tutorials to start off with, then you close all threads, disallow all replies.

The point of this is to create a simple-read only area that get's you started.

Just make sure the titles, reflect the subject matter, and are in many different languages.

Suggestion 2.

Team Recruitment Thread, is just a bad idea. I am sorry but it is.

It makes it hard to respond to individual offers/availabilities, without making it a convoluted and disorganized thread.

Create a new subforum called Team Recruitment

In there are two subforums, one for Available, the other for Recruiting.

Part of the rules of posting in there, has to be a timeline, and some proof of what you can do. Screenshots etc.

Then let's say you need some x people for jan-feb, then in march, that thread can be closed, and archived, and shoved down to invisibility, so that only active team recruitment can be seen.

Suggestion 3. It takes a lot of work to let a forum like this grow.

In order for future growth to happen, even if the official kalonline server/site dies, we must be adaptable, and show some creativity.

I propose that the moderator's let us know what technical limits there for allowed vbulletin themes, and either let people submit their own kalonline themed vbulletin theme, or show links to ones that they like.

Then from those posts, mods can create a voting post/poll, where people can look at screenshots, and vote on a new theme.

This may give some drive to compete and create a better looking kalonline forum here on ragezone.

It may just be fun :)

Suggestion 4. Have experts in the main languages, outside of english write up tutorials how to communicate clearly in english.

I am not indicating the other languages do not deserve respect, and I know it is very hard to learn and master new languages.

But when people are communicating, and we can barely understand each other, it just makes working together far harder.

So maybe some basic english tutorials written in other languages, might provide a useful reference.

Suggestion 5. Maybe a Monthly or every few Months have a different contest

Like best forum signature art, or best screenshot of their server, etc.

Be creative, have fun, and encourage others to have fun....

Suggestion 6. Maybe a good memories forum?

To share screenshots, stories, of your favorite server, favorite guild, or favorite pvp, or whatever...

I am not a moderator, and I have no inclinations to do so.

But people like to brag, and if you want more conversation, then make it more fun for them to talk.

I hope some of these ideas are helpful and useful.

While I can't play kal because I'm on linux now, I still miss it, and have fond memories.

LordJustice
-Leader of the 47 Ronins and many other guilds

Live with honor

Omega Male
Loyal Member
Reaction score
1. "Start Here - Start Hier" - not really a good idea since this is an English only forum. Also, Rz is a development forum, not a customer assistance forum.

2. I don't think this should be considered as a factor of improving the community or the development of the game at all.

3. You may not have realized this yet but, Kal is not the only section in rz. And a game-based theme wouldn't really look good if ever, so this will never happen.

4. This would be very time consuming and would really be a big hindrance to the communication. We use English because it's the easiest and most used globally. Allowing other people post in foreign would duck the whole forum and the games' developments. It would even make us mods' job harder.

5 and 6. Go to the Outerworld or any sections outside Kal and you will know that all you're saying already exist.

666. Please think before you post.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
1:
Eahm wat? People are already lazy as hell. Do you want to increase that, just because some idiots can't use the search function?

2:
You know, there's something called PM. In a pm you can ask questions and also apply.

3:
Ragezone is the nr.1 forum if it's about kalonline developing. The game's also to old...There's no need to get even more newbies who don't even know the game.

4:
If you can't even read tutorials in englisch, you shouldn't bother opening a server. Cause there will be many different languages and the most common one will be englisch.
so...there's actually the lazyness talking again. Learn to get something!

5 & 6:
Wat again?? is this something like a "whish something" forum xD? Rz is a dev. forum.. if you want to chitchat, then go into http://forum.ragezone.com/f10/.

Let me guess, you're 15-17 years old, aren't you?

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Building a community takes time effort and committment.

So first off I want to give thanks and gratitude for everyone who keep's this forum alive. However, just like in any organization, over time people setup rules, so that one set of rules make it easier to deal with all situations. However, not all situations are the same, or have the same set of needs or values or cultures.
So while I totally appreciate the technical effort that it requires to keep a site or forums up alive, building and growing a community sometimes means adapting and trying new ideas, to see what works.Keep trying, use what works, dump what doesn't. The problem is that with one site hosting many communities, it becomes easier for admin's to just have one way of doing things, so it is less of a headache to administer. And I understand and appreciate that.But that doesn't mean those rules are right. So here are a few suggestions that I have, some you may like, some you may not, and that's your prerogative.

Suggestion 1.

Create a subforum called "Start Here - Start Hier" and in any other languages that are most common. Then inside this subforum, are more subforums.

1. Website Setup
2. Database Setup
3. Server Setup
4. Mob Basics
5. Map Basics

However you want to do that. This is not meant in any way to replace tutorials or releases or help.

But to make it far easier for new server people, or old people to refresh their memories, to just go right to the "Start Here" section, have the very simplest and most basic tutorials/guides reposted here.Plus with translations of those 3-4 posts into several of the most common languages.

Then once everyone agrees that these are the most visual and easiest tutorials to start off with, then you close all threads, disallow all replies.
The point of this is to create a simple-read only area that get's you started. Just make sure the titles, reflect the subject matter, and are in many different languages.

Suggestion 2.

Team Recruitment Thread, is just a bad idea. I am sorry but it is. It makes it hard to respond to individual offers/availabilities, without making it a convoluted and disorganized thread. Create a new subforum called Team Recruitment. In there are two subforums, one for Available, the other for Recruiting. Part of the rules of posting in there, has to be a timeline, and some proof of what you can do. Screenshots etc. Then let's say you need some x people for jan-feb, then in march, that thread can be closed, and archived, and shoved down to invisibility, so that only active team recruitment can be seen.

Suggestion 3. It takes a lot of work to let a forum like this grow.

In order for future growth to happen, even if the official kalonline server/site dies, we must be adaptable, and show some creativity. I propose that the moderator's let us know what technical limits there for allowed vbulletin themes, and either let people submit their own kalonline themed vbulletin theme, or show links to ones that they like.

Then from those posts, mods can create a voting post/poll, where people can look at screenshots, and vote on a new theme. This may give some drive to compete and create a better looking kalonline forum here on ragezone.

It may just be fun :)

Suggestion 4.

Have experts in the main languages, outside of english write up tutorials how to communicate clearly in english. I am not indicating the other languages do not deserve respect, and I know it is very hard to learn and master new languages. But when people are communicating, and we can barely understand each other, it just makes working together far harder. So maybe some basic english tutorials written in other languages, might provide a useful reference.

Suggestion 5.

Maybe a Monthly or every few Months have a different contest Like best forum signature art, or best screenshot of their server, etc. Be creative, have fun, and encourage others to have fun....

Suggestion 6.

Maybe a good memories forum? To share screenshots, stories, of your favorite server, favorite guild, or favorite pvp, or whatever... I am not a moderator, and I have no inclinations to do so. But people like to brag, and if you want more conversation, then make it more fun for them to talk. I hope some of these ideas are helpful and useful.

While I can't play kal because I'm on linux now, I still miss it, and have fond memories.

LordJustice
-Leader of the 47 Ronins and many other guilds

Live with honor

Looks better now [VISUALLY ONLY...].

By the way, you have to be out of your mind to suggest such a thing, like:
Create a subforum called "Start Here - Start Hier" and in any other languages that are most common. Then inside this subforum, are more subforums.

1. Website Setup
2. Database Setup
3. Server Setup
4. Mob Basics
5. Map Basics
:stupid:

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Well if none of you cared that much for this game, why not just delete your account?

I am sure most of us can live without the any of you being here.

As for me, I like this game, and have fond memories. And I just wanted to help as I can.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Suggestion 1.

Create a subforum called "Start Here - Start Hier" and in any other languages that are most common.

Then inside this subforum, are more subforums.

1. Website Setup
2. Database Setup
3. Server Setup
4. Mob Basics
5. Map Basics

However you want to do that.

I can Make a Sticky with the "Basics step by step" threads all in place

As for the Section 5 part.. ummm i like it.....

Might also bring the community together some more.

Abry is also correct, There are TONS of competitions outside of the Kal section... but most dn't venture into the outside world of the Kal section... i think Section 5.. i might be able to swing :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back