Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[RELEASE][DEVELOPMENT] RSX (RealSpaceX)

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
anyhow I got the deferred shading stuff sorta working and added specular reflections, . it makes the lighting look much better IMO.
Yes it looks much better, I think the RS3 models also have a 'roughness' parameter which currently I do not use, in the future you could also use other specular model like Cook-Torrance, I once implemented it it looks really nice.
BTW the models actually use a specular mask, the specularTexture.w contains the mask. As you are using deferred rendering you could use an RGBA texture for the first RT and save the specular mask in the A channel for later use in the pixel shader. But everyhing wil not appear as shiny as they look in your pics, I was tempted to not use them but some objects don't look right without using the mask.

there are some artifacts like where it just refuses to light the area to the right of the lamp for some reason, even though the normal map looks ok. not really sure how to debug issues like these effectively with d3d9, software like renderdoc, the VS shader debugger, etc. don't tend to support it cuz too old. :|
Seems everything in your code is right. When I was implementing lighting something like this happened to me. It occurred because when the camera is inside the light sphere it must be handled differently (but your code seem correct). Another issue I had was that I did not saturate the specular term then sometimes it went negative and it canceled the lighting term (but again your shader seems correct).

Edit
I usually debug things the hard way, using shaders to test and dump everything I want to check as colors on the screen. Did you update the directx sdk? if you are using the directx libs that came with gunz I advise you to download the latest directx 9 sdk and replace the old libs and headers by the new ones. The NVIDIA nsight is more or less useful also.

Last edited:
Reaction score
nah it's just my bugged worldedit XD the point wasn't that particular shadow, just that if you wanted a precise shadow for something complex like a tree, it'd get pretty bad

yeh I'll try to add support for such a lightmap format sometime, shouldn't be too hard to do. high poly count rs2 maps being slow also sounds like a fixable problem caused by bsp trees, the 16 bit indices creates a hard limit of 2^16 vertices so there's no way ppl are making maps that are all that geometrically complex

yeah they work perfectly and it'd surely be very helpful to ppl with older hardware. though, it still doesn't help if the normal fps just goes down to like 20, at least not unless you cap visual fps at something even lower than that

yeah it's terrible, I'll try to do better with that XD

anyhow I got the deferred shading stuff sorta working and added specular reflections, . it makes the lighting look much better IMO.

there are some artifacts like where it just refuses to light the area to the right of the lamp for some reason, even though the normal map looks ok. not really sure how to debug issues like these effectively with d3d9, software like renderdoc, the VS shader debugger, etc. don't tend to support it cuz too old. :|

Looks great, but just so you know, I tried and failed, therefor you must be cheating. Haha jk, but for real great job man.

Edit:
Also to let you know, even if you can increase framerates on larger maps (more intended for map devs than you, but should be a little enlightening for you as well), Mapmakers will still need to target a framerate of around 250 frames per second. The way gunz input related to framerate, 250 is the sweetspot for getting the fastest reactions out of each technique in the game.

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
i want to test try this but where is the sql database for this server. i cant find it the download pack . . coz it says incorrect password although i set the password for login as sha-512 so i guess its has its own database. . need help

bumped..

Back