Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[RELEASE][DEVELOPMENT] RSX (RealSpaceX)

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
This project initially aimed to add support for Gunz 2 maps (RS3) to Gunz 1 but later it changed to improving Gunz (features/quality/security).
In the mean time I joined legacy gamers team, but due to lack of devs the project was stalled. Thus we decided to share our work with the community in the hope that it will be useful and that the community will contribute back improving the source.

I'm releasing the full git source tree, the unpacked client with a compiled gunz binary (if any one wants to test it without having to compile the src) and the compiled server binaries.

This source is a cleaned up source with the following features:

* Support for RS3 maps
* Whole new file system, with new encryption and new compression algorithm (better compression & faster decompression)
* sha-512 db password hash (no plain pwd in the db)
* Other fixes

The client comes unpacked, with a test binary, which can read the unpacked files, and a packer utility.
To see the source after extracting it you'll have to 'git reset --hard' it.
Modified database is in the main source directory.

How to contribute

I intend to continue working on the source improving it and updating the thread when I have time. If some experienced dev with the 'open source spirit' wants to contribute FOR FREE and need some help (if I can help) feel free to ask me.

Users - can report bugs
Developers - can fix bugs / improve the source. I'll accept git patches, which will be merged on the git tree.
Level designers - If you want to build custom maps with special feature (physics/graphics effects), you can explain what you need and I'll work on adding these features, I'm also planing to create a 3ds plugin for exporting maps.

If you just want to try Gunz 2 maps you can setup a server with the provided binaries and database, run the game and create a 'mansion' room.
Notice that when creating your account in the db, in the password field you have to put your password sha-512.

This is my effort to bring Gunz to life again, but alone it will not work. I expect that the community will move this project forward.

Thanks to Keith and legacy team which worked on the source and provided support.

gunz-client
gunz-src
gunz-sv -

ZcAuqz - [RELEASE][DEVELOPMENT] RSX (RealSpaceX) - RaGEZONE Forums

ZYuSKEa - [RELEASE][DEVELOPMENT] RSX (RealSpaceX) - RaGEZONE Forums

7rAPVUB - [RELEASE][DEVELOPMENT] RSX (RealSpaceX) - RaGEZONE Forums

pGLv7Ww - [RELEASE][DEVELOPMENT] RSX (RealSpaceX) - RaGEZONE Forums

DBVOHN - [RELEASE][DEVELOPMENT] RSX (RealSpaceX) - RaGEZONE Forums

kz7BwAt - [RELEASE][DEVELOPMENT] RSX (RealSpaceX) - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Very nicely done :)

Been following your project for a while now, I hope this'll make a major change in the GunZ scene, though the FPS slightly worries me, it's very important that high end pc's are able to reach a minimum of 333 fps easily. I hope people here are clever enough to implement and test it. Please post the results since these Screenshots were taken from a Laptop in window mode.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Very nicely done :)

Been following your project for a while now, I hope this'll make a major change in the GunZ scene, though the FPS slightly worries me, it's very important that high end pc's are able to reach a minimum of 333 fps easily. I hope people here are clever enough to implement and test it. Please post the results since these Screenshots were taken from a Laptop in window mode.

Nice job grandao awesome!

We'll never know if this will change anything in the GunZ scene or when it ends for good but if there is still a huge playerbase that likes and enjoy the game playing, Even Lambda is back in the GunZ business that means something right. we can only rely on people that actually still care about GunZ and make new and big projects.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
asdasdasdas

Last edited:
Retired. Don't PM.
Developer
Reaction score
This might make me get off GTA V for a bit and develop. I'll run my performance testing suite and see if I can get more frames out of this.

Nicely done! This is going to be great to contribute changes to.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
This might make me get off GTA V for a bit and develop. I'll run my performance testing suite and see if I can get more frames out of this.

Nicely done! This is going to be great to contribute changes to.
I'm sure the performance can be improved. Two things that can be easily improved are collision detection and occlusion culling.
Currently the collision detection uses the whole map polygons to check ray intersection and cylinder intersection. The latter is very expensive ( If you go up the chandelier, in picture 2, I'll see fps dropping). So we can have a detailed collision map for ray and a more rustic one for cylinder. We can also use multi-threading, rendering and character collison done in parallel.
Another point is occlusion culling, currently all geometry is draw even if it is outside the view frustum, using bounding box checking against the frustum would improve it.
Also directX 9 is really bad for rendering, if someone port the game to directX 10/11/12 or OpenGL, things could be done more efficiently.

Some numbers:
On a i7 3537U IGP I get ~20FPS (window mode)
On a i7 3770 & GTX 670 ~200FPS 1080p fullscreen

You can also improve fps disabling lighting in src/rsx/rsx.cpp on rsx::initialize you can switch between
Code:
//no lighting
m_pRenderer->setTechnique(m_pSimpleTechnique);
//or lighting 
m_pRenderer->setTechnique(m_pDeferredTechnique);

I'm retired, I'm already
Banned
Reaction score
Excellent work, but we must accommodate the FPS.

Retired. Don't PM.
Developer
Reaction score
Seem to be having an issues with the deferred renderer; it causes the screen to be entirely blank. The objects load under the simple render technique however.

I have a GTX 980 in case that matters.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Seem to be having an issues with the deferred renderer; it causes the screen to be entirely blank. The objects load under the simple render technique however.

I have a GTX 980 in case that matters.

I have no clues about what is causing it. If you have Intel IGP, do you get the same blank screen using it?

For testing purpose you can do the following:
* Download and install directx sdk ( )
* Set all options to 'application controlled' in NVIDIA control panel

If none of these work go to DxDeferredTechnique::end method and try
* comment depthCopy();

Still not working then try commenting the block
Code:
pRenderer->clear(true);
beginLighting();
drawLighting();
endLighting();

depthCopy();
and m_pRT->unbind();in DxDeferredTechnique::end and m_pRT->bind(); in DxDeferredTechnique::begin

it should now disable lighting.
If you still get a blank screen undo these code changes and uncomment the dumpTexture in DxDeferredTechnique::end. This will dump the drawing buffers every frame then you can see if they look ok or send it to me.

I can also accept a sample GTX 980 to test it :):

Back