Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Discussion] Your Experiences on SQL Servers for RanOnline

Graveyard Networks
Reaction score
I was in a thought, of upgrading my system to much latest SQL Server. I am currently using SQL Server 2005, I'm thinking of upgrading to SQL Server 2008. Anybody here have experiences of using SQL Server 2008? Which do you guys prefer? 2008 or 2005 for RanOnline? and Why?

Keep the discussion clean. This isnt a debate, any input about your experiences are welcome.

Graveyard Networks
Reaction score
1st time when i setup ran online is use 2005
after that
i got setup another game call DDTank
it need 2008
so i del my 2005 then use 2008 XD

I am currently using 2005 and i am thinking to upgrade, i am just curious abit afraid also that i might get errors or lag issues or anything relates to that LOL

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
for me 2005 is friendly user as compare to 2008.
I'm using 2008 as test server and a feel a little bit conflicated rather than 2005.

QT is better than VS
Reaction score
good to go for 2k8, a lot of huge revision i see on 2k8 compare to 2k5
i see it when i start coding some public site which process almost 5K-6K user a day.. RHS website.. with almost 9K+ student enrolled

expirement: benchmark
2k5 - slow when retrieving large tables like student info 800K record or least
2k8 - much when retrieving large tables like student info 800K record or least
2k8 is more powerful much secure than old, more matured i think. less resources usage

i dunnot have the actual test here but it just base on my experience and the nature of my work too..

hmm its only my opinion...

mysql - 5.5 much improve than mssql APC is integrated already (i just include it)

Graveyard Networks
Reaction score
good to go for 2k8, a lot of huge revision i see on 2k8 compare to 2k5
i see it when i start coding some public site which process almost 5K-6K user a day.. RHS website.. with almost 9K+ student enrolled

expirement: benchmark
2k5 - slow when retrieving large tables like student info 800K record or least
2k8 - much when retrieving large tables like student info 800K record or least
2k8 is more powerful much secure than old, more matured i think. less resources usage

i dunnot have the actual test here but it just base on my experience and the nature of my work too..

hmm its only my opinion...

mysql - 5.5 much improve than mssql APC is integrated already (i just include it)

Thanks So Much Ser!

I'm a bit afraid to upgrade, because i have encounter some issues before on Windows Server 2008 and MSSQL 2008 delays in-game, Im not so sure if it relates to that or the ddos protection of my host but i was fixed when i go back to 2003 and mssql 2005...

Thats one of the thing i have encounter before im not sure if there are others who encounter this kind of thing also before

Unknown Place
Reaction score
Thanks So Much Ser!

I'm a bit afraid to upgrade, because i have encounter some issues before on Windows Server 2008 and MSSQL 2008 delays in-game, Im not so sure if it relates to that or the ddos protection of my host but i was fixed when i go back to 2003 and mssql 2005...

Thats one of the thing i have encounter before im not sure if there are others who encounter this kind of thing also before

Depending on the DDoS Protection, it can add unexpected lag/latency to your stuff...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
For my opinion they both work the same. One thing I know though, when you upgrade to 2008 you can't use your DBbackup2k8 for 2005 SQL

base on my experience DB backup2008 still usable when you going to restore it into 2005. This is what im using right now.

QT is better than VS
Reaction score
The only way to do so, is to import/export the database, not through a backup, but through the export/import agents.
very critical when large data is in issue. another things is the triggers . i do not recommend this but if this so just try it. lets go back to the main topic.
2008 is much stable than 2k5 i know most of us began with 2k5 but maybe we need also to evolve and get higher version of tools.
that offers a lot of improvement than old one..

if you code a program u will be always wanted to use latest libraries right? simple reason (to get more stable codes/classes/function/

so it mean some of libraries/function used by 2k8 is more latest than 2k5 obviously..

all unmentioned bugs/error/slow performance in 2k5 is fixed in 2k8 release and same aspect with 2k10 or soon.

INNOVATION that's us..

Reaction score
if 2008 is more stable than 2k5 then what bout mssql 2012... i dunno about performance but i use 2012 and it works... if you guys have a .edu email you can get the enterprise edition for free at dreamspark.com it is a microsoft website giving free server software for any school with an email....

my db server is
DB: MSsql 2012

working on RAN online

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
i encountered an error in sql 2k8

simple error
cant login it will result to dds error in website
simple solution
restart pc :)

QT is better than VS
Reaction score
you maybe close the sql services in task manager.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
im using 2005 and i upgrade it to 2008... no conflict no errors!!!

2005 is slow retrieving and small hard drive requirement
2008 is fast to retrieving and big hard drive requirement and 2008 is secure to sql inject better than 2005

i think 2008 is the best...

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
if 2008 is more stable than 2k5 then what bout mssql 2012... i dunno about performance but i use 2012 and it works... if you guys have a .edu email you can get the enterprise edition for free at dreamspark.com it is a microsoft website giving free server software for any school with an email....

my db server is
DB: MSsql 2012

working on RAN online

well it depends if your school registered to dreamspark, even you have school email but your school didn't registered you can't get any product. i'm also using 2012 from dreamspark

be good to beat evils
Loyal Member
Reaction score
im using 2012 crack,T_T
since we are not registered
torrent can helps

and yes higher version loads faster than old, i test it with my old db with over 100K characters, 2003 slow, 2008 faster 2012 , same faster but cant see the difference that much

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Untitled - [Discussion] Your Experiences on SQL Servers for RanOnline - RaGEZONE Forums

@JerM i got the same error with you is it an attack? coz lately i got this error many times a day.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Back