Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    True MemberRank
    Dec 2005 Join Date
    /f248/Location
    835Posts

[Discussion] Your Experiences on SQL Servers for RanOnline

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

I was in a thought, of upgrading my system to much latest SQL Server. I am currently using SQL Server 2005, I'm thinking of upgrading to SQL Server 2008. Anybody here have experiences of using SQL Server 2008? Which do you guys prefer? 2008 or 2005 for RanOnline? and Why?

Keep the discussion clean. This isnt a debate, any input about your experiences are welcome.
    At least i am not stupid and very disrespecting like some greens.

Alpha MaleRank
    Jan 2012 Join Date
    MalaysiaLocation
    1,682Posts

Re: [Discussion] Your Experiences on SQL Servers for RanOnline

1st time when i setup ran online is use 2005
    after that
    i got setup another game call DDTank
    it need 2008
    so i del my 2005 then use 2008 XD
    This is my Website http://www.gypsumhong.com/
    hahaha sorry bad website

True MemberRank
    Dec 2005 Join Date
    /f248/Location
    835Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stormcch View Post
    1st time when i setup ran online is use 2005
    after that
    i got setup another game call DDTank
    it need 2008
    so i del my 2005 then use 2008 XD
    I am currently using 2005 and i am thinking to upgrade, i am just curious abit afraid also that i might get errors or lag issues or anything relates to that LOL

Alpha MaleRank
    Jun 2009 Join Date
    MalaysiaLocation
    1,850Posts

im prefer sql 2005..much easier to configure and install..and my machine win server cant install sql 2008 properly..

MemberRank
    Aug 2013 Join Date
    54Posts

for me 2005 is friendly user as compare to 2008.
    I'm using 2008 as test server and a feel a little bit conflicated rather than 2005.

True MemberRank
    Jul 2009 Join Date
    earthLocation
    976Posts

good to go for 2k8, a lot of huge revision i see on 2k8 compare to 2k5
    i see it when i start coding some public site which process almost 5K-6K user a day.. RHS website.. with almost 9K+ student enrolled

expirement: benchmark
    2k5 - slow when retrieving large tables like student info 800K record or least
    2k8 - much when retrieving large tables like student info 800K record or least
    2k8 is more powerful much secure than old, more matured i think. less resources usage

i dunnot have the actual test here but it just base on my experience and the nature of my work too..

hmm its only my opinion...

mysql - 5.5 much improve than mssql APC is integrated already (i just include it)
    http://lifeline-gamez.com my development
    SLOW LOADING WEBSITE? PM ME and we will make lighter and load your site like a rocket :D

True MemberRank
    Dec 2005 Join Date
    /f248/Location
    835Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tearhear18 View Post
    good to go for 2k8, a lot of huge revision i see on 2k8 compare to 2k5
    i see it when i start coding some public site which process almost 5K-6K user a day.. RHS website.. with almost 9K+ student enrolled

expirement: benchmark
    2k5 - slow when retrieving large tables like student info 800K record or least
    2k8 - much when retrieving large tables like student info 800K record or least
    2k8 is more powerful much secure than old, more matured i think. less resources usage

i dunnot have the actual test here but it just base on my experience and the nature of my work too..

hmm its only my opinion...

mysql - 5.5 much improve than mssql APC is integrated already (i just include it)

Thanks So Much Ser!

I'm a bit afraid to upgrade, because i have encounter some issues before on Windows Server 2008 and MSSQL 2008 delays in-game, Im not so sure if it relates to that or the ddos protection of my host but i was fixed when i go back to 2003 and mssql 2005...

Thats one of the thing i have encounter before im not sure if there are others who encounter this kind of thing also before

True MemberRank
    Mar 2013 Join Date
    598Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -Jumong- View Post
    Thanks So Much Ser!

I'm a bit afraid to upgrade, because i have encounter some issues before on Windows Server 2008 and MSSQL 2008 delays in-game, Im not so sure if it relates to that or the ddos protection of my host but i was fixed when i go back to 2003 and mssql 2005...

Thats one of the thing i have encounter before im not sure if there are others who encounter this kind of thing also before
    Depending on the DDoS Protection, it can add unexpected lag/latency to your stuff...
    Looking for DDoS Protected: Web Hosting - Cloud Servers (VPS) - Dedicated Servers or Remote Protection Services ?
    Then, have a look at Ragezone's sponsor website: www.hyperfilter.com - quality, stability & reliability.

True MemberRank
    Jun 2010 Join Date
    750Posts

For my opinion they both work the same. One thing I know though, when you upgrade to 2008 you can't use your DBbackup2k8 for 2005 SQL

MemberRank
    Aug 2013 Join Date
    54Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bianx View Post
    For my opinion they both work the same. One thing I know though, when you upgrade to 2008 you can't use your DBbackup2k8 for 2005 SQL
    base on my experience DB backup2008 still usable when you going to restore it into 2005. This is what im using right now.

True MemberRank
    Dec 2005 Join Date
    /f248/Location
    835Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamerz143 View Post
    base on my experience DB backup2008 still usable when you going to restore it into 2005. This is what im using right now.
    i have no plans of having a debate but you are wrong... once you upgraded it you cannot restore it back to 2005

True MemberRank
    Mar 2013 Join Date
    598Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -Jumong- View Post
    i have no plans of having a debate but you are wrong... once you upgraded it you cannot restore it back to 2005
    The only way to do so, is to import/export the database, not through a backup, but through the export/import agents.
    Looking for DDoS Protected: Web Hosting - Cloud Servers (VPS) - Dedicated Servers or Remote Protection Services ?
    Then, have a look at Ragezone's sponsor website: www.hyperfilter.com - quality, stability & reliability.

True MemberRank
    Jul 2009 Join Date
    earthLocation
    976Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MaxZeus View Post
    The only way to do so, is to import/export the database, not through a backup, but through the export/import agents.
    very critical when large data is in issue. another things is the triggers . i do not recommend this but if this so just try it. lets go back to the main topic.
    2008 is much stable than 2k5 i know most of us began with 2k5 but maybe we need also to evolve and get higher version of tools.
    that offers a lot of improvement than old one..

if you code a program u will be always wanted to use latest libraries right? simple reason (to get more stable codes/classes/function/

so it mean some of libraries/function used by 2k8 is more latest than 2k5 obviously..

all unmentioned bugs/error/slow performance in 2k5 is fixed in 2k8 release and same aspect with 2k10 or soon.

INNOVATION that's us..
    http://lifeline-gamez.com my development
    SLOW LOADING WEBSITE? PM ME and we will make lighter and load your site like a rocket :D

True MemberRank
    Feb 2009 Join Date
    /var/users/Location
    582Posts

if 2008 is more stable than 2k5 then what bout mssql 2012... i dunno about performance but i use 2012 and it works... if you guys have a .edu email you can get the enterprise edition for free at dreamspark.com it is a microsoft website giving free server software for any school with an email....

my db server is
    DB: MSsql 2012

working on RAN online

True MemberRank
    Jul 2013 Join Date
    318Posts

i encountered an error in sql 2k8

simple error
    cant login it will result to dds error in website
    simple solution
    restart pc :)