The OmegaRank
    Dec 2007 Join Date
    new holland.Location
    6,054Posts

Re: The history of this section.

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

Quote Originally Posted by Moogly View Post
    ^ Has a lot of the history. This is the original post Nillus did quite sometime back untouched. It is his view on the history, bear in mind, he didn't experience everything like other users did, so there's obviously things that are missing. :P
    Never read that before. Good reading a bit of the history of this section.

I was never really a fan of 'customs' items because they always seemed to look off coloured or just didn't seem to fit the Habbo look but Tsuka made some amazing customs that just blew me (and the rest of the section away), I think it was @salamander@ who modified Tsukas custom CCTs and made them have interactions e.g. opening a door/gate/garage; he also threw up in depth manual on how to create advanced custom items and I think that helped a lot of people of the years.

I enjoyed the Holograph Emulator projects, every time I would come on RZ there would be like 5+ pages added to the thread - mind you it was the same help questions over and over. I personally liked that stage the most because it seemed like a 'real' open sourced product where a lot of people were involved with the project - obviously the foundation being done by Nillus and then updating it every so often was good.

I wish we completed the RZHabbo project, I was really excited about getting that up & running, AJ had a dedicated server that was running Woodpecker (v3) and I think the only thing at the time that was missing was spaces/camera/games and from the tests that were done on the 'BETA' hotel it could of pulled off big numbers - it had pretty much everything, this section was at it's peak, it's own private emulator with a good developer leading the way and the only thing stopping it from what I remember was the senior moderators from RZ having 'personal issues' with Nillus, something about rubbing one of them the wrong way, and a couple of moderators followed their lead and didn't want the RZHabbo,

From what I vaguely remember MentaL wasn't listening to Moogly about the hotel, and they had an argument, and then Carlos didn't want to work with Mental any more. I think it was like a couple of talks later, and Mental was like get the source and we'll still do it without them, from then I new it was going to fail so I didn't bother with it and asked to be demoted from moderator status shortly thereafter. It just seemed at the time it had everything but the barriers were the senior moderators =/

If there's one thing I've learned, archive every source.
    Pretty much every server that needed if I couldn't find in the section or couldn't find a working link - I'd just ask you and have it within half an hour lol.

Alpha MaleRank
    Oct 2008 Join Date
    United KingdomLocation
    2,347Posts

I've never contributed anything major but was around here when we had "v15". Good days.

True MemberRank
    Apr 2009 Join Date
    504Posts

I love how Hebbo doesn't even get a mention.

Mar 2007 Join Date
    AB, CanadaLocation
    1,728Posts

My hopes for this community died when it became a business, I don't mind people making money, but when it's off someone else's work, or via destructive means, it's just fucking stupid.
    Amen. This is a private server community. Not an entrepreneurial section.

Alpha MaleRank
    Feb 2008 Join Date
    Vault 111Location
    2,336Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ethicks View Post
    I love how Hebbo doesn't even get a mention.
    He rarely ever released his server though, it was always "leaked".

True MemberRank
    Mar 2007 Join Date
    www.Prime.sxLocation
    1,208Posts

I think in the thread you should involve more notes about the culture rather than the server history. It'd be good to let current hotel owners know why retros were started in the first place.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been around retros since USA111 was released and took off, and back in those days retros were all about rebelling against habbo. People didn't agree with no swearing, so the retro community made servers where you could swear all you want with no rules. People didn't agree with 20 dollars for 50 habbo credits so then it was made possible to have free credits and design new rooms all you'd like. The list goes on with rebelling against staff, etc etc.

Now if you look at retro development today, the things we've innovated such as VIP, customs, and other features we've created have oddly enough shown up on Habbo Hotel. The tables have turned, habbo is trying to copy retros and be one step ahead and they're running out of ideas to keep users on Habbo. They've merged all the english hotels into one and now all it gets is the same user count that one of those hotels would get single handedly. Habbo's sweating, they're helpless and we've bled them dry of all their resources only to turn around and do the exact same thing Habbo does with corny staff, stupid competitions and charging for as much as you can without getting shunned for it.

I think there's no real heroes of the habbo section because of that exact change when retros turned from a hobby into a business. Why would anyone want to develop software for hotels to just leech for themselves and turn a profit off of it?

What's the point of retros now and why are they trying to copy every single aspect of Habbo that retros used to fight against in the first place?
    Vivid imagination is key for building a successful game!

GammaRank
    Apr 2010 Join Date
    GothamLocation
    3,679Posts

I brought this thread back because it's important for them youngins' to understand!

I'll update this soon.

ModeratorRank
    Dec 2010 Join Date
    AustraliaLocation
    3,126Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
    I brought this thread back because it's important for them youngins' to understand!

I'll update this soon.
    Does the thread need updating?

GammaRank
    Apr 2010 Join Date
    GothamLocation
    3,679Posts
    I missed out on some past events.

True MemberRank
    Jun 2011 Join Date
    354Posts

it's amazing how my only mention I get is for slowing down development by co-operating with sulake, from the paleolithic age to the Dark, Meidival, Feudal Age my name isn't mentioned once. Your view on the history of these emulations is severely lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
    Sorry, I'll ad ya in later.

I used to talk to MDK, if it wasn't him directly he did FUEL the leak.

I roamed around during the Greek period, and have been registered since Pax Romana times. Rose up ever since.

And for those who say these are errors? This is directly from Me and Moogkip's memory, as he posted before!
    Additionally, you never talked to MDK. You talked to Bobby, who was pretending to be MDK

GammaRank
    Apr 2010 Join Date
    GothamLocation
    3,679Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DominicGunn View Post
    it's amazing how my only mention I get is for slowing down development by co-operating with sulake, from the paleolithic age to the Dark, Meidival, Feudal Age my name isn't mentioned once. Your view on the history of these emulations is severely lacking.

Additionally, you never talked to MDK. You talked to Bobby, who was pretending to be MDK
    1. It was a combined effort from Moogly and I
    2. I posted later acknowledging I was talking to Bobby..

Alpha MaleRank
    May 2011 Join Date
    LondonLocation
    1,908Posts

Bit odd of you to leave out Dom to say the least...

I'd like to see the history of this section from others viewpoints (Dom, Mike, and anyone else who still lurks from the old days)!
    Interested in joining a developer/tech discord? PM me for more information!

GammaRank
    Feb 2007 Join Date
    The NetherlandsLocation
    2,630Posts

thumbs up Re: The history of this section.

This is fairly accurate. In my eyes, the birth of CMS'es (thanks to the jump from flatfiles to a relational SQL database) was what made retros so big. CMS'es turned retros into full-fledged mass communities with news and shops and whatever. Before that, they were just, retros.

True MemberRank
    Jun 2011 Join Date
    354Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caustik View Post
    Bit odd of you to leave out Dom to say the least...

I'd like to see the history of this section from others viewpoints (Dom, Mike, and anyone else who still lurks from the old days)!
    I remember, way back in 2005. office.boy over at http://script-o-matic.net started running a v1 server, I looked into it a little and found out some geezer named 'MDK' had created and released an emulation of Habbo V1 (ofcourse this later turned out to be JoeH and DeK's work). This server went viral, and alot of people who were at the time scripters on Habbo (like me for example!) suddently became interested in emulating Habbo.

Lots, and lots of time was spent on this version of the server. Hundreds of different tutorials about how to add furniture to certain areas of the one available room began to hit forums, code fixes, and updates were constantly being talked about, some released! ThuGie appeared and after some work with the V1, everyone began discussing if we could emulate Habbos latest version (which was at the time, v9).

As most of us were scripters, we could easily log the information needed to do this. However, none of the guys working on emulating the V9 really understood the structure of the messages. ThuGie was the first to have a shot, and released a server that would allow the client to connect to you, and then the server would instantly ban you with the "@c" message. This was great, we had a connection!

Some one began work on a class that would change "@c" into 35. The first B64 decoder/encoder. It looked something like this

PHP Code:
    Public Function B64Length(ByVal TheString As String) As Integer
    Select 
    Case TheString
    Case "@@"
    B64Length 0
    Exit Function

Case 
    "@A"
    B64Length 1
    Exit Function

Case 
    "@B"
    B64Length 2
    Exit Function

Case 
    "@C"
    B64Length 3
    Exit Function

Case 
    "@D"
    B64Length 4
    Exit Function 
    Still in VB6, nasty right? People would just laugh if they saw something like that now! It's hard to believe that, that function was used for a very, very long time and only allowed us to decode/encode up to 1000. I forget the name of the guy that wrote it, but we all really, really appreciated it at the time. It was used until Jeax released a .dll he wrote in c# that properly encoded and decoded everything we needed (and even this was re-wrote and implemented into Vb6, as no one could use it properly in their servers!)

The very 'first' private 9 server is disputed, it's hard to define what one person would call a version 9 server. Flex had a server that was released before USA111's, and before mine! You couldn't use private rooms, but you could login, register, change your looks and mission, and most importantly you could enter and walk around public rooms. this was a _massive_ leap. The first iteration of my v9 server was released shortly after. You could now enter private rooms and talk! You couldn't walk, place or move furniture, or interact with the room at all. Days after I released my server, a guy by the name of 'Genaga' released his server. It allowed you to fully interact with private rooms, you could purchase, place, move, pick up and interact with furniture and other users in private rooms. A massive milestone.

A month or two after that, USA111 released his v9 server. it had all of Genaga's features, but was better. Genaga's server was all formed in one module. Just one, there was nothing else. USA111's server, split up code into more logical steps, and started to show early stages of OOP.

It was then massive challenges came up for V9 developers, lots of people were now doing it. 'Mark' appeared with his V9 which was very, very popular at the time. It was essentially the most used, all of these servers were still flat file. This is also around the time that 'Otaku Hotel' (what is now Phoenix, by Sojobo) appeared, and started to be sold, it was entirely based on USA111s work.

All of this work was still v9 based and in VB6. Habbo had released Habbo v13, and no one could modify their servers to get it to work. Until I teamed up with USA111. We released 'USA111 and Myrax's V13 Server' compiled, it was massive. USA111 left shortly after and without my permission, released the source-code. This created a massive boom in developments.

I'm pretty sure this is the stage where users such as Nillus, Moogly, mirkan, Donkjam, NGansta and Hebbo hit the scene. We still did not have SSO login, but hundreds of variations of USA111 and my server started hitting ragezone and hw-forum (which is now otaku).

I did not like that my work had been used without permission, to started another server with Nitrojan and well_thats_not_funny, called 'Project Xeon'. It was v9, and the very first Habbo emulation that used Habbos encryption. office.boy helped us alot, and infact logged around 100 keys from Habbos server (so that we could use the encryption properly!), only later to be told by me that you could use any random key! :D

A foreign user, that no one had really heard of before (and again, i've forgotten his name, apologise) claimed that he had cracked 'sso login'. And he had! it was still flatfile based, and forced the user to store all user data in the /web/ folder where the login script was, but we finally had SSO login.

Project Xeon evolved with this, and began to implement mySQL. it certainly wasn't the first server to try (and I don't remember what was), but use of mySQL in servers was still relatively unheard of and no one did it. After obviously hearing about my work with mySQL, Nillus asked me for help implementing mySQL into Debbo (which was now on its third, or fourth iteration). I said I'd help him, but don't think i ever actually got around to it, he learnt off his own back!

Sometime between then, and the next paragraph 'MeGrim' (no idea who it was!) began publicly advertising his complete V7 server. It had everything, everything. Camera worked, moderation tools worked, public & private rooms worked. It was just perfect. it's homepage can still be found here Habbo Hotel - Huoltokatko
    (though i think it has been updated since its initial release, note it is no longer online). This server was never released.

My memory gets cloudy around this point as so much happened. I think it's now 2007, and Jeax has released his server 'Project Warlord' (the server before Project Cold Coffee!). it was in C#, and everyone was excited. It was a new language, it was faster, smoother, and had much cleaner code than almost all of the VB6 servers.

People like Nillus and I quickly snatched up the source and began to learn from it, this is when Nillus started the 'Holograph' server. Project Warlord pretty much hit the deck, few people could figure out how to use it so they just never bothered. This is one of the reasons Holograph was such a hit - it was easy.

We're now in mid 2007. Jeax has released Project Cold Coffee, and Nillus some iteration of 'Holograph'. Holograph took lead, again, it was easier. VB6 servers slowly began to die and be wiped out of the scene, it became 'nooby' and 'idiotic' to program in VB6.

This is around the time I drew the line, and stopped publicly working with emulations. I tried to keep track of the thousands of renames and rips that appeared, but I just couldn't do it. There was no real 'milestones' after this. Nillus successfully programmed Battleball after many failed attempts, including some by me, and continued to release the most easy to use and popular servers.

JoeH began work on Thor (Habbo V9), which he released using a MSSQL database. I think this was around 2009. Nillus took it and used it as the base for woodpecker (and blunk). Again, because no one could really use it, it didn't take off either.

Sojobo took holograph when it was released, and used that as the new source for his sold work, and did the same when uber was released (except he bought the rights to uber).

I never kept up with CMS or customs development, so you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge in that area. Like all peoples recounts of the past, mine will not be complete. but I think it helps serve some insight into what happened back then. :)

True MemberRank
    Jun 2011 Join Date
    354Posts

It's possible my timings are a little off. Alot has happened since I first started here. :)

Advertisement