Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Binding server to specific IP

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I've ordered a new server and I've 3 ips available.
Is there a way to make the server listen on a specific IP ?

I don't want the server to listen on all available ips and also I don't want to listen on the primary ip.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
More to the point, there isn't an easy way to make it listen on any IP other than the one specified in the configuration...

/me mutters to himself "What a very *odd* question?" and shrugs.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
the server itself binds on *:port no matter what ip you set on whatever configuration you are saying.

you can check it on netstat:
TCP 0.0.0.0:10016 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

I don't want it to listen on 0.0.0.0:10016, I want it to listen to a specificip:10016.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting effect. I've always seen the opposite. If I do not specify the exact IP allocated to the NIC I want it to listen on, the port is not open, and no communication occurs.

I'll have to check with different server releases, but... yea, I actually advise people to check the IP and port the server is binding to with PortMon in one of my guides, and always do that as a matter of course when setting up a new server. So I know it's never happened to me before. (not while I was watching)

My firewall would block communication on any IP I hadn't designated though, so it's not something I worry about as much as I try to keep any and all such resource consumption to a minimum and lower potential attack footprint. As I'm sure you are doing.

See if you can spot anything odd in the WinSock APIs in your server, they should specify the exact IP you stated in the config (hotuk.ini, usually) during bind. If they are, check your system libraries, because PT uses some massively old headers, and the wrappers to the modern interface could be over-compensating in the name of "compatibility". (Microsoft have a tendency to do that)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
and what is this hotuk command that should be responsible for the listening ip ?
*GAME_SERVER ;
*SYSTEM_IP ;

.. ?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
*GAME_SERVER

I've never used *SYSTEM_IP in a server config.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
game_server for sure doesn't mean the IP that is going to be bound, all it does is tell what ip the user is going to connect.

I believe there is no (easy) way to make the server.exe bind on a specific ip.

Back