Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Community spirit - "Off Topic"

Should this become a permenant - sticky - feature of the PT Development section?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
zgjs0 - Community spirit - "Off Topic" - RaGEZONE Forums

hqe9w - Community spirit - "Off Topic" - RaGEZONE Forums

(Until someone takes it down)

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
9RUCN - Community spirit - "Off Topic" - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
@DarkKnightH20
LOL that chicken (look like rooster to me) got a chin like Bruce Campbell :)

Now that's MMOFPS ;)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Oh wow that's a crap load of people on that MMORPG!

Too crowded :blink:

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
And it's all made with the Unity web plug-in too. ^_^ Flash games on speed!!!

I actually looked into making a PT client in Unity, but they seem to emphasize 3D renderings of a 2D world. (Like the original Doom or Wolfenstien 3D) So you have a 2D world, with things moving around the X & Y, but render a height map on the world, and use 3D sprites. Which would be okay most of the time for PT... but some things would have to change. :(: I didn't look into enough depth to see if those limitations in their tutorials could be worked around. (2D layered slicing or such)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I actually looked into making a PT client in Unity

That would be nice, instead of inventing wheel every time we need to add something to PT.

I read FAQ and I don't get few things in Unity, anyone would like to help me?

Unity is basically C# oriented? So other languages might work but not recommended?

In part "what works, and what doesn't" there are thing that I don't get:
- "GUIText will have a dramatic impact on performance" <- just like in PT XD

Not supported:
- "Terrain" >_> don't get it.

Is unity better than any other alternatives? It look like its obsessed with flash o_O Can I make decent directX/OpenGL app on it? Not web based app (still cool feature).

There is lot of stuff but unity don't look like good engine for full scale MMO.

PT already have everything we need, ideas, models, terrains, animations, 2D art. I considering redoing source from scratch.
Any better engine to do that?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Unity is basically C# oriented? So other languages might work but not recommended?
Unity Website said:
Unity supports three scripting languages: JavaScript, C#, and a dialect of Python named Boo. All three are equally fast and can interoperate. All three can make use of .NET libraries which support databases, regular expressions, XML, networking and so on.
Not supported:
- "Terrain" >_> don't get it.
Nor do I. I've seen Unity games creating "Terrain", even somewhat "dynamic terrain", but only in so far as the objects upon it. (trees, parked cars etc) Perhaps it is referring to the common technique of creating land masses based on fractals, composite wave modulation or seeded chaos theory. By such means you can reproduce a natural land mass "terrain" / height map from a single floating point figure. Quite effective even from only a 16-bit float.

Certainly, I have only seen Unity creating "maps" from pre-rendered meshes, the way PT does. I've not even seen games randomly "stitching" such maps together they way the Diablo series (among others) games always did. (Random maze algorithm)
Is unity better than any other alternatives? It look like its obsessed with flash o_O Can I make decent directX/OpenGL app on it? Not web based app (still cool feature).
DirectX / OpenGL are not alternatives to Unity, they are pre-requisites, Flash, Shockwave, AdobeAIR, Java or Silverlight would be the alternatives.

Consider the speed and performance of 3D highly multi-media interactive experience and the wide variety of supported platforms (including consoles and hand-held devices) which Unity supports. Which of those really competes? I would say Shockwave is the closest contender... but I've seen some good J3D examples which come close too.
There is lot of stuff but unity don't look like good engine for full scale MMO.
My favourite MMO right now, and for the past 6 - 8 months is written in Unity. Check out it's free to play! You can also try if you prefer Sci-Fi / Flight Sim MMO. It's also written in Unity. ^_^
PT already have everything we need, ideas, models, terrains, animations, 2D art. I considering redoing source from scratch.
Any better engine to do that?
I considered Ogre or Irrlicht several times... but because of the format the assets are in (converting them) I've never got anywhere.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I would be cool to remake PT1 (gameplay/system/ideas) using PT2 models, I think that I will do some tests/educate myself on this subject. You got me pumped ;)

I don't see any classes for MMO server in UNITY and C#

mpc - Community spirit - "Off Topic" - RaGEZONE Forums

...again... I guess I will not be able to doge it XD ...still trying to understand why it don't use .h files ;)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You know I really struggle with C#, but I've managed to write some Python, and I quite liked the "Boo" in Unity.

I planned on linking the Unity based client to a traditional PT Server. A great means for Mac converts continue playing their beloved game. ^_^

I got as far as re-writing the intro sequence and login prompt. The meshes didn't convert "right" for me though. :(: I was inspired by the RZ user who posted a [Development] where you get to play a low level pet running around Ric collecting stars. :D: Great fun.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
O do you still have link? I can't find that game.

IMHO you don't have to remake PT in UNITY 1:1. If we where talking about old opening then you would had no choice ;) but new OP... it's just asking itself to be changed :)

Interesting thing about unity is that you can make PT that will also work on phone.
I'm still reading documentation but it's looking more and more interesting.
I like license. Ofc PRO version have some nice features but it's a bit expensive.
It's not Unreal Engine but for PT - UE would be over kill ;)
Hopy tessellation XD

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Chain Golem... Physicked. :love:

I don't, and wouldn't be surprised if the server isn't hosting it any more.

No you wouldn't have to reproduce PT as it is. The intro was because it's not really interacting with the server, and is a good test to get the map, camera and animating characters, 2D overlay, music and Click sounds all into Unity... it's a test I failed.

I never managed to figure out what files I needed to "back up" to be able to restore my project either, so I lost it all when I last re-installed. :(:

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Backups in unity are not that bad. You just saving and importing your whole project to another. You can chose what you would like to import too, so you don't have to import everything.

Well there are some +/- things about unity:

+ I can make 64bit PT
+ Web player
+ simpler that UE
+/- C# ;) *lol*
- no 2-sided materials? o_O (need some scripts to fix that, rly strange)
- I need pro version to cast shadows and who knows what else, but I can make lightmaps

I will add character and see If its worth to remake PT in unity + server.

For now ruin-4 (because it's map with 0,0,0):

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Awesome sauce!

Maybe the double-sided materials was what was wrong. I remember bits being missing, but thought I had some strange points sticking out in weird places too. (like when you have a corrupt true-type font, but in 3D)

It doesn't look bad, even without shadows TBH.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
@SheenBR

People watched 10h of nyan cat...

...what's 10h of trololo for me :)

Here you go gamers friends :)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Do other people find as annoying as I do?

That's a massive quote, and the post only relates to a single URL link in it.

I find it so annoying I'd like to make a rule against it, but that would be zealous if it's only me it bugs.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Bugs the crap out of me. But I do like it for when people randomly decide to remove all the valuable info from the post that's being quoted.

Back