Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[KPT] Hangul appearing as '???'

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi I am having an issue with KPT, whenever I type Hangul characters, they appear as "??????". everybody else's Hangul text appears normally.

I have the Korean language pack installed for Windows 7 and I am able to type Hangul normally anywhere else, but in PT it just appears as "????".

Does anybody know what the issue might be?

Thanks in advance.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If you're using the official Korean client, or one that only you have modified, then we can assume you haven't altered the default code-page in the client it's self. Otherwise, check that.

All Microsoft software, and most programs which have aquired the Made for Windows logo for XP or newer will pick up your default locale. I've said several times that Priston Tale would not get that logo, as it fails far too many of the style guide recommendadions. It assumes the system has the same local as it was compiled for, so if your default system (not login, but system) language isn't Korean, it will expect input in that form to just be Korean. If you input Korean, on an English system it will be converted to ASCII (or "??" for any character which doesn't exist in ASCII) and then provide that to PT, which will interpret it as being Korean and needing no further alteration.

The usual solution, if you are running Korean on your user account and an English Windows install is to go beyond the language packs to the Multi-User Interface kits. (MUI) Combine that with AppLocale, which can provide an alternate default local to the program, and you should be golden. It's worked well for me, but I've never had a Korean keyboard to try it out fully. (I just sort of guess)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi bobsobol, thanks for the quick and insightful reply to my issue.

Although I eventually went a similar but different approach, you helped me understand what the issue was. I had no idea there were even unicode and non-unicode applications.

I dug a little more into the unicode/non-unicode business and discovered that windows 7 was built "language neutral" so that one can easily switch the locality, with Korean being one of the languages which was fully supported.

I wasn't sure what you meant by "MUI", I searched around a bit but I couldn't find anything that might be of use to me.

I did try out AppLocale, and it got me halfway. Things that were previously being displayed in random symbols were now being displayed as Hangul.

When it got to typing out my own Hangul though, things went a bit strange. I was still getting "???".

I did manage to solve the problem by changing my regional language (for non-unicode programs only) via the control panel in Windows 7.

Control Panel > Clock, Language & Region > Region & Language

Then I clicked on the "Administrative" tab in the window that appeared.

And there, there was a dialogue to change the system locale language for non-unicode applications. I changed it to Korean, restarted my computer and everything works as it should.

Thanks again for putting me on the right track, bobsobol!

Back