Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

PT server on WinServer 64bits ?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Is it possible ?

I used to run PTserver on Win 2003 32bits and Win 2008 R2 32bits.
However, I've now purchased a Windows 2008 R2 Standard 64bits and it seems that the server isn't working at all.

First issue detected: when I've my GameServer/Monsters folder with some monsters, the server crashes as soon as it launches.
Second issue detected: it seems that the server is unable to connect to AccountDB and verify my userid, because everytime I try to login, the client just hangs on "Estabilishing connection..." and I don't see the server connecting to the SQL port (1433).
Third issue detected: I was able to bypass the authentication in order to log in with any userid/passwd provided, but sometime after, the server just crashed out of nowhere aswell.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Is it possible? Yes.
Is it simple? No. (it doesn't "just flippin' work")
What should you do? Lots, various, and variable. Start reading the existing threads on this subject, and start by understanding that the PT server doesn't run natively on x64.

When you run either PT or it's server on an x64 system it will be running in a Virtual Machine. That VM doesn't have access to the normal system registry, or file system. It's isolated. So anything you do in 64-bit mode to the file system or registry will be invisible in the VM that PT is running in. Anything PT does to the Registry or file system will show up somewhere odd in the host system.

Depending on how you set everything up, files and settings will show up in different places. Or, may just be destroyed.

Multiple x86 VMs exist, so using admin tools can be funky. Each tool may end up working on it's own set of virtualised files and settings, making no changes to the actual server VM at all. Watch out.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
64 bit server always have problem , becouse server.exe dont know more memory then 4gb , but you will have problems with sql.dll and clan.dll , when we move from 32 bit to 64 bit , we was re-write full new sql.dll and clan.dll , now it work with 64 bit

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I think there may be (depending on how you set up) additional issues depending on whether you are running x64 or x86 MS-SQL Server on your x64 OS.

The PT server should be happier to work with the SQL server in it's VM. However, even then, the SQL server may start in a different VM instance, (to increase potential memory space for each) and IPC may not bridge cleanly between the two.

Ultimately, everyone's mileage seems to vary on x64 systems, and what works for one person doesn't seem to help much for another.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Just a follow up, I've changed from 64 to 32bit.

Thank you.

Back