Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Reading from Character files (.chr)

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hi all PT devs

Have anyone had success in converting or attempted to read all data from raw character files (.chr) into other readable format such as database tables?

If not, before I try and do this task is there any pro / con of using another source to store the data (such as MSQL) instead of .chr files?

I can see one obvious pro. It allows you do create a script to modify or remove items etc in player's warehouse and character file (inventory). And look for items that were edited (hack)

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Okay, I'm getting somewhere with this..

I was able to read in items stored in .chr. However if I try and modify the stats of items (patching) it won't work in the end (item disappears). I think it's because the checksum values no longer reflect the newly modified data.

Item struct has these two DWORD membrs
- iChk1
- iChk2

Does anyone know how these two checksums are calculated / generated in the first place? All checksums have certain pattern in how they were generated. I'll look around, but perhaps someone here already knows the answer to this one.\

Nevermind - it's funny how after you ask for help, you end up finding the answer to your own question shortly later....!

Reaction score
I do have a program that reads all item data in the char file and spits it out into a sql database.
SUPER easy then for hacked/modified item detection.

Made by Gregoo, source included.

Back