Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Special accounts :P ?

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
A paper about path weirdness in a PT server.

Basically, we have 4 type of "special accounts" :
- com0 to com9
- lpt0 to lpt9
- prn
- any account starting with 'con'

So, what do you think about these accounts ?
Security threat ? Special privilege ? Or just artifacts of an old feature ?

Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
No clue :p
I just stumbled upon it while fixing a bug in an account manager.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Serial ports are given the DOS device "COM1:" to "COMx:" in even now in the NT Object Namespace. (Serial MUX boxes & IO Cards can allow a PC to have up to 15 or 25 serial ports per PC. We used to use a large 486 with Minix to run 45 "dumb terminals" via serial ports... In Unix they where /dev/tty0 - /dev/tty44, but if we installed DOS or Windows they would be COM1: - COM45: and base DOS / Windows 3.x wouldn't allow for more than COM9: NT4+ can cope with more, and can use other names, (via, Junction in the Namespace, but COMx: is what the OS sets up by default.

Likewise access to Parallel ports are "LPT1:" and "LPT2:"... I have had a PC with 2 IO boards giving 3 parallel ports, but couldn't ever allocate an LPT3: symbolic link in the namespace, but DOS and the "IBM Compatible" BIOS won't allow for the resources (IRQ and IO ports) for more than 2 parallel ports.

"PRN:" is allocated to the default COM, LPT or USB port on which the default printer is connected... both in DOS and (for backwards compatibility) in the NT Object Namespace.

Under DOS "CON:" refers to the default console / text mode output device where StdOut and StdErr are redirected from you C programs. A new one is mapped for each DOS window under the NTVDM (NT - Virtual DOS Machine).

You could "Subst PRN LPT2:" to use parallel port 2 (instead of port 1) as the default printer. Likewise you could "Subst CON COM1:" and attach a similar "dumb terminal" (teletype device, hence the unix name "tty", now "ttys0" - "ttys9" for the screen attached to the PC) to your serial port, and control DOS (or the NT command line) from that. You can attach a second PC via a 4-5 cross RS232 cable to your first and connect to such a "redirected" console via a Virtual Terminal program... one still ships with Windows OS. XD

Under NT, you can also redirect those ports to TCP/IP ports on your internet connection. :eek:

I respectfully suggest that this is protection against an attack... similar to the way you check for SQL commands in user names and password fields in registration pages.

You can read how NT maps the DOS device names we are still used to using (C:, D:, COM1:, LPT1: etc) from the true namespace name . You will find that explorer will navigate to directories via "//./" NT namespace paths just as well as the "old DOS" paths we still cling to.

There was some upset when they tried to remove drive letters from Vista "Home Server" Edition, but it really is an antiquated method of working... and NT is much more powerful than 24 lettered "drives". So we can blame "Windows users" (not Microsoft) for it's continued existence. MS have a fantastic OS, but most of the useful stuff is hidden because (despite what they say) it seem most people just want DOS to run more programs faster. <shrugs>

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Nope, can't log in into those starting from 0 or 9 they are leading me to nowhere :) I tried to force it... same result.

There are [9PersonalMember] and [9Channel] in SQL.dll
But my guess would be that they are no longer active, they need more details like PhoneNumber1. My theory would be that they where used when HanDes.dll was usable and you could get password or activation from SMS or when PT was P2P. They can be ADMINs premium account too or special accounts to put NPC in clan? (im making no sense now @,@) Maybe rewriting SQL 9personalmember to look like agameuser could help login, but I will not try anything strange right now, I don't wont to mess my database :)

Back