My article on Space Exploration

GammaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    Relative to YouLocation
    3,206Posts

My article on Space Exploration

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

First, I'd like to welcome you to my article on Space Exploration.

Keep in mind that this will be the first article that I have 'officially' authored, so don't expect it to be perfect

------------------------------------------------

Some of you may or may not remember/know of the great Space Race of 1957-1975. If not;

The Space Race - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

In a nutshell, the United States and Russia were in a 'race' to be the first country to send a man into space during the Cold War. There are some conspiracies and some speculation surrounding the matter of whether or not the United States was the first country or not, but the general consensus is that America was in-fact not the first country in space - the USSR (Russia) was. Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin was the first man in space.

The United States of America was the second, country in space with astronaut Alan Shepard - China being the third country, with astronaut Yang Liwei. Ever since, only 3 Nations have launched their own manned spacecraft, Russia, America, and China - you can view all of the United States' Space Shuttle launch details here, all of the Russian Soyuz launch details here, and all of the Chinese Long March Rocket details here. As you can see, there have been quite a few rocket/shuttle launches over the years - both successful and unsuccessful. So now let's focus on the numbers of these launches.

The average price of an American Space Shuttle launch is in the vicinity of half-a-billion dollars, (that is $450 Million dollars to be exact with you) you can view more information about the Space Shuttle program and all of the logistics and numbers here. The average price of a Russian Soyuz rocket launch is in the vicinity of 150 million dollars, you can view more information about the Soyuz Rocket launches here. I did a little bit of Googling to try and find out how much the average Chinese Long March rocket launch costs but I could not find any definitive figures that I would feel comfortable linking and relying on.

If you want an idea of how much money is spent on space exploration, than all you have to do is go to this link which lists just NASA's annual space budget for the United States since the mid-1950's. As you can see, it's quite a hefty chunk of money. So that is where the point/motive of this thread comes into play - are all of these resources, this time, money and manpower, being used towards something that is going to be beneficial towards the human race, or towards the Earth? Or are we just wasting money, time, resources and manpower, when we could be directing all of this towards something else?

Well, first, let us take a look at some of the things we have discovered/learned thanks to space exploration.

Here are 5 links alone that explain some of the everyday things we use now, thanks to space exploration;

http://www.care2.com/causes/5-things...ploration.html
    http://www.businessinsider.com/every...by-nasa-2012-8
    https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/tech_benefits.html
    https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...013-TAGGED.pdf
    https://mic.com/articles/123917/bigg...015#.IhFiQuCKL

As you can see, there are quite a few beneficial things that we have gained from space exploration, I'm not going to list them because I want you to read them for yourself But, we have to look at and consider both sides of this matter. There are also disadvantages to spending so much time, money and manpower on space exploration that not many people tend to think about when it comes down to it.

Sure, we learn a significant amount of information about the origin of the universe, and life, and reality, and time, and the list goes on; but we also could be spending these resources, and this time towards researching things here on our own Earth - and perhaps even save resources, and manpower by doing this in the long run. Who says we can not figure out the origins of the human race, by studying.... humans! So, why not put more of that NASA budget, into biology? Why not spend more time and manpower on studying, humans? Why not spend all of those resources and manpower on studying our own Earth, that we just so happen to live on - and in the foreseeable future, will continue to live on?

The main argument that people have when it comes to the necessity of Space Exploration, is that it helps us better understand the workings of everything inside the Universe. That would include humans, and of-course, the Earth! So, what is your opinion? Do you think that we should keep on spending as much time, resources, and manpower on space exploration, to perhaps maybe one day delve into the mysterious inner-workings of the Universe and how everything works and is made? Or do you think that we should cut spending and effort on space exploration and focus more on our own home planet, that we just so happen to live on for the time being - and the foreseeable future?

Discuss please!

MemberRank
    May 2008 Join Date
    Manchester, EngLocation
    105Posts

Re: My article on Space Exploration

How anyone can declare their opposition to space exploration is beyond me. Who doesn't want to research the vastness of your universe? I think the amount of money spent is more than warranted, especially since eventually we'll need to vacate the planet and colonise on a different habitable one.
    Do a bit of cloud engineering

GammaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    Relative to YouLocation
    3,206Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Calz View Post
    How anyone can declare their opposition to space exploration is beyond me. Who doesn't want to research the vastness of your universe? I think the amount of money spent is more than warranted, especially since eventually we'll need to vacate the planet and colonise on a different habitable one.
    I'm genuinely curious, did you read the entire article? Because I explained why spending so much could be bad.

Plus, I didn't say I was opposed to it I just asked if others were.

MemberRank
    May 2008 Join Date
    Manchester, EngLocation
    105Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justice For All View Post
    I'm genuinely curious, did you read the entire article? Because I explained why spending so much could be bad.

Plus, I didn't say I was opposed to it I just asked if others were.
    Yes, I still think it wise to continue with it though. Opinions ey! And I wasn't directing that at you, just at the world in general
    Do a bit of cloud engineering

LegendRank
    Aug 2010 Join Date
    2,322Posts

I do not believe that space exploration is entirely necessary for the survival of humankind.
    Benefit, yes. Survival, no.

The reason I say this? If humankind develops technology sufficient to send us to another habitable world, or technology to send humankind to a closer world that requires Terra-forming, then that same technology would be sufficient to deal with the current Earth issues like pollution and global warming, thereby negating the necessity to migrate.

It's a two-way street in my opinion. Studies on Earth will help us in space. Studies in space will help us on Earth.
    IXXI

Advertisement