Are Earthquakes getting worse and/or more frequent?

GammaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    Relative to YouLocation
    3,206Posts

Are Earthquakes getting worse and/or more frequent?

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

I just saw a news story talking about a 9.0 Earthquake is suspected to possibly hit Bangladesh soon. India has a megathrust fault lurking under about 140 Million people according to Google. To put that in perspective, the largest Earthquake of last year (2016) was only a 7.9, killing over 1,100 people - and you may or may not know - earthquakes get exponentially stronger each increment on the richter scale they go up. So a 9.0 is approximately 12 times stronger than the strongest Earthquake in 2016.

On top of this, there have been around 14,000 total earthquakes registered last year. This really isn't that much of a difference from other years and months, but some people still believe that earthquakes are getting worse and worse and are increasing in frequency, and they are only going to keep on doing this until something is done about it.

One thing that people believe is causing more earthquakes, is something called, "Fracking"

Fracking is where they pump high pressure water into the Earths crust and it forces oil and other natural resources to be expelled out. This in turn, disrupts the Earths plate boundaries, faults and crust, causing earthquakes to be more frequent and more intense. Now, this of-course is not the only reason earthquakes are getting worse, there are many others such as climate change and other environmental factors/human factors that contribute to it, but I just want to focus on the fracking and see what your opinion on the matter is.

Discuss :)

ModeratorRank
    May 2007 Join Date
    InternetLocation
    2,469Posts

Re: Are Earthquakes getting worse and/or more frequent?

What counts as a earth quake?

Most 'small' earth quakes aren't noticeable by us so we don't worry about those small quakes. But a computer feels them and registers them. Computers can register and write down all details of the quake but yet we humans didn't notice them their accuracy even increased of the years so that is most likely the reason why it starts to happend more 'frequently' because have more records of it.

Also I think that Fracking is also one of the causes but I don't know any details of that so I'm not going to go deeper on this.
    Moderator & Developer
    I CAN NOT HELP YOU WITH YOUR SERVER, USE THE CORRECT HELP SECTION INSTEAD.
    I AM ONLY TAIGA ON RAGEZONE!
    BE CAREFUL WITH IMPOSTORS!

DO NOT PM ME FOR GAME RELATED QUESTIONS, THESE MESSAGES WILL BE IGNORED!

The Rules | Discord | MMORPG Extra | Contact Me

GammaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    Relative to YouLocation
    3,206Posts

Well here's the definition of an Earthquake;

earth·quakeˈərTHˌkwāk/
    noun
    [COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

• a sudden and violent shaking of the ground, sometimes causing great destruction, as a result of movements within the earth's crust or volcanic action.

So IMO pretty much any shaking of the ground on a large scale would be considered an earthquake.

But not sure what seismologists would consider an earthquake. Probably whatever the richter scale can pick up.

SubscriberRank
    May 2012 Join Date
    The WastelandLocation
    1,369Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justice For All View Post
    Well here's the definition of an Earthquake;

[/LIST]

[/FONT]

So IMO pretty much any shaking of the ground on a large scale would be considered an earthquake.

But not sure what seismologists would consider an earthquake. Probably whatever the richter scale can pick up.
    I mean, the real question is, is there enough evidence to support the claim that "fracking" is really causing an increase in more dangerous earthquakes? Otherwise, will you really be able to get enough people behind the cause to stop fracking? If you're going up against the oil industry, you better have enough evidence and support to stop it. I also believe that this is something that really needs to be put out there, if it is the problem. Where I live, there really is rarely ever any earthquakes. There was one like 3-4 years ago, and I didn't even feel it. So, most people who live in areas like myself, honestly don't care about earthquakes and maybe we should. But nobody is telling us that this is a problem that can get worse and can spread to us, and if it does it could be a lot harder to handle then, then it is now.
    Not all fuckboys are heartless, some are just heartbroken.

Advertisement