Law of Conservation of Energy

GammaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    Relative to YouLocation
    3,206Posts

Law of Conservation of Energy

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

The law of Conservation of Energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Simple enough.

Or, to quote it from Google (or Wiki rather);

"In physics, the law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant—it is said to be conserved over time. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, it transforms from one form to another."
    So with the law of conservation of energy in mind, and the creation of the universe in mind, (i.e the Big Bang, the generally accepted model of the creation of the universe in the scientific community nowadays) what was 'before' the Big Bang?

If energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed, than the matter that was involved in the Big Bang had to have existed in some other form and just transformed into the energy in our universe today. (Which, fun fact, doesn't make up much of our universe. Our universe is made up mostly of Dark Matter and Dark Energy. In-fact, our universe is 96% made up of Dark Matter and Dark Energy!) Perhaps we just cannot see this because we are limited to only seeing whatever light enters into our telescopic lenses.

So, that is where theories 'come into play'. We have yet to definitively prove the exact origin of the universe; Dark Matter has not even been directly observed by scientists yet, so we combine theories with decades of scientific research by teams of highly intellectual people and usually all the logical and practical signs point to the research and information being correct.

All that being said, I would love to ask you the question, what do you think was before the Big Bang?

MemberRank
    Feb 2007 Join Date
    PortugalLocation
    248Posts

Re: Law of Conservation of Energy

I hate to say this again on this section, but, aliens!

Now seriously, I love the way you make people think, but I honestly believe we may never have the answer to that question during our lifetime.

I'm 99% atheist, yet I question the Bible, Genesis, in particular reference to this subject; who was there before God, who or what made God, why does even God - or whoever was standing there in the middle of nowhere (?) listening to his voice and watching his deeds - implies the existence of other Gods?

Sincerely, I don't know. the answer to your question.. Even with science's current advancement along with space exploration, all we can do is speculate, imagine, and theorize for now. As you've said, no one knows the exact origin of the universe.
    "Making mistakes is human, the ability to acknowledge them, the humility and maturity to apologize and try to correct them is GODLY"

ModeratorRank
    Feb 2008 Join Date
    Jaú, BrazilLocation
    2,391Posts

Nobody made or created God, because he is god, he was always there. That is called a "dogma". (Im not a believer...)
    Nothing was before big bang, because there was no time itself. Time itself was created with the big-bang, so we can only know what happened after it.
    Because there was no time before it happened! ^_^

Some nice readings:

The Beginning of TIme - Stephen Hawking
    cosmology - Did time exist before the creation of matter in the universe? - Physics Stack Exchange

GammaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    Relative to YouLocation
    3,206Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SheenBR View Post
    Nobody made or created God, because he is god, he was always there. That is called a "dogma". (Im not a believer...)
    Nothing was before big bang, because there was no time itself. Time itself was created with the big-bang, so we can only know what happened after it.
    Because there was no time before it happened! ^_^

Some nice readings:

The Beginning of TIme - Stephen Hawking
    cosmology - Did time exist before the creation of matter in the universe? - Physics Stack Exchange
    I've actually already read both of those articles, they are very interesting reads indeed :) Here is another one;

The Origin of the Universe - Stephen Hawking

The only problem I have with the idea of nobody creating God, and God just always being there is if that were the case than the present would not exist because there would be an infinite past. That's the main paradox issue I have with the idea of any 'God' being the sole creator of everything just since forever.

Time logically and scientifically has to have a beginning.

ModeratorRank
    Feb 2008 Join Date
    Jaú, BrazilLocation
    2,391Posts

Well, scientifically time had its beginning with Big-Bang.

As of god, well, thats why its called dogma, right? xD
    Im not sure if we can explain god with science.

MemberRank
    Feb 2007 Join Date
    PortugalLocation
    248Posts

There is also a dogma regarding the Virgin Mary, this, relating to a recent scandal of a nun who stated on television that the Virgin Mary, was, in fact, not a virgin, and got harassed by thousands of "good Catholics".

In the Bible, however, Mary and Joseph further had 4 sons, and at least 2 daughters, since it the Bible refers to "daughters" in plural.

About God, well, there's another contradiction, in which, as I've said above, God himself, implicates the existence of other Gods.

If you guys haven't read this website - Skeptic's Annotated Bible / Quran / Book of Mormon - I highly recommend it, it's amazingly enlightening.

Stephen Hawking is indeed a brilliant, remarkable, and admirable man, I will read these articles after dinner, thank you both for sharing them!
    "Making mistakes is human, the ability to acknowledge them, the humility and maturity to apologize and try to correct them is GODLY"

SubscriberRank
    May 2012 Join Date
    The WastelandLocation
    1,369Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justice For All View Post
    The law of Conservation of Energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Simple enough.

Or, to quote it from Google (or Wiki rather);

So with the law of conservation of energy in mind, and the creation of the universe in mind, (i.e the Big Bang, the generally accepted model of the creation of the universe in the scientific community nowadays) what was 'before' the Big Bang?

If energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed, than the matter that was involved in the Big Bang had to have existed in some other form and just transformed into the energy in our universe today. (Which, fun fact, doesn't make up much of our universe. Our universe is made up mostly of Dark Matter and Dark Energy. In-fact, our universe is 96% made up of Dark Matter and Dark Energy!) Perhaps we just cannot see this because we are limited to only seeing whatever light enters into our telescopic lenses.

So, that is where theories 'come into play'. We have yet to definitively prove the exact origin of the universe; Dark Matter has not even been directly observed by scientists yet, so we combine theories with decades of scientific research by teams of highly intellectual people and usually all the logical and practical signs point to the research and information being correct.

All that being said, I would love to ask you the question, what do you think was before the Big Bang?
    You're asking for trouble on this one. LOL.

Specific Religions aside, I do believe some higher power is at play. I don't know "who" or "what" exactly, but I think it's naive to assume that the universe so intricately designed itself. As a programmer, I like to call it "The Big Programmer in the Sky". Maybe it's "aliens", maybe it's Jesus Christ. I don't really know, but some of the most renowned theologists describe with certainty the creation of the universe very similar to the way renowned scientists describe the creation of the universe, which most scientists decide to ignore because you know equations can prove the existence of a higher power. a + b * c = no god. Seriously though, theologists describe it as "it wasn't and then it was" to keep it simple, and that's kind of how the big bang worked. Like someone just hit a switch.
    Not all fuckboys are heartless, some are just heartbroken.

MemberRank
    Feb 2007 Join Date
    PortugalLocation
    248Posts

On the "aliens" thread, I've referred the ancient civilizations that unexplainably vanished, in regards to the "Alien VS Predator" sci-fi theory, of the Predators being the "aliens" who gave those civilizations extremely advanced knowledge for their time.

Reading your post, @Wreckless, I've immediately remembered the "Prometheus" movie, along with the "Engineers" that created life. But then again, who created those "Engineers"? And who created the creators of those "Engineers"?

We can run around in circles for years and we'll never find any real answers, I guess. Only some major breakthrough in genetics, biology, space exploration, and/or others, could give us a permanent and definitive answer. Otherwise, the way mankind wastes time, resources, and energy in useless wars and personal enrichment, only our great-great-great-great-grandsons will be the ones who get to know exactly what happened and how everything really started - with a big "maybe" attached.

Unless, of course, we receive a visit of some kind of alien intelligent life form. And here I'm a bit divided: IF aliens exist, they are either unaware of our existence, or they're watching us while playing Gods.

SubscriberRank
    May 2012 Join Date
    The WastelandLocation
    1,369Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SKNeoDio View Post
    On the "aliens" thread, I've referred the ancient civilizations that unexplainably vanished, in regards to the "Alien VS Predator" sci-fi theory, of the Predators being the "aliens" who gave those civilizations extremely advanced knowledge for their time.

Reading your post, @Wreckless, I've immediately remembered the "Prometheus" movie, along with the "Engineers" that created life. But then again, who created those "Engineers"? And who created the creators of those "Engineers"?

We can run around in circles for years and we'll never find any real answers, I guess. Only some major breakthrough in genetics, biology, space exploration, and/or others, could give us a permanent and definitive answer. Otherwise, the way mankind wastes time, resources, and energy in useless wars and personal enrichment, only our great-great-great-great-grandsons will be the ones who get to know exactly what happened and how everything really started - with a big "maybe" attached.

Unless, of course, we receive a visit of some kind of alien intelligent life form. And here I'm a bit divided: IF aliens exist, they are either unaware of our existence, or they're watching us while playing Gods.
    In Science, everything is a theory, even when it's proven. Nothing is impossible, you can't say something or someone doesn't exist because you just really can't.

I tend to imagine it like this. It's like we, mankind, have been put into a room, and this room is filled with an infinite amount of crates and boxes. However, at the start, there is no record of any of it. When you open a box / crate, you learn something new, but there might be crates inside that crate or the crate might have nothing but clues to what lies inside another crate, you just don't know. One crate might have something that tells you about what could be inside another crate however you have no idea where this crate is, if it exists, and if you can even open it when you do find it. You can't just assume, "this crate does not exist", because you can't prove that unless you've searched every single crate which is essentially impossible considering there are an infinite amount of crates.

In a universe that is infinite, because it has not been proven to be finite, that has an alleged infinite amount of parallel universes that are also infinite, in my opinion ANYTHING is possible. If something is infinite, then most likely there are an infinite amount of possibilities. If something seems impossible, it just hasn't been proven to be possible YET.
    Not all fuckboys are heartless, some are just heartbroken.

Advertisement