Is the universe infinite? What is the observable universe?

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Gamma Justice For All is offline
    GammaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    Relative to YouLocation
    3,206Posts

    Is the universe infinite? What is the observable universe?


    RaGEZONE Recommends

    RaGEZONE Recommends

    First to start this off we need to look at the speed of light, and consider that the Big Bang causes the expansion of the universe to be at a finite speed; the speed of light. (Which, according to the theory of special relativity developed by the famous physicist Albert Einstein, is the universal speed limit. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light - that is, anything that has mass or information attached to it. Theoretical 'massless' particles and 'informationless data' can potentially propagate faster than light - unrelated to these two mentioned things, take black holes for instance, the gravitational waves produced by black holes are strong enough to pull light in, and also spew radiation back out, so there is something there 'faster' than the speed of light now isn't there?)

    But let's go back and focus more on the expansion of the universe. According to the Big Bang and the Hubble Constant, the universe exponentially grows expanding faster and faster as time goes on, by about 0.007% per million years, meaning that eventually, the universe (or rather the galaxies and stars inside of it) will be expanding faster than the speed of light. Are you confused at all? Well, think about this analogy of a ball of dough in an oven with chocolate chips inside of it. The dough is the space and the chocolate chips are the stars in between. As the dough expands, the chocolate chips grow farther apart from each other, exponentially, faster and faster as the dough expands more and more. The universe is the same way.

    Now, take our telescopes that we use to observe the universe. The way these telescopes work is they take in light being emitted from the different stars and galaxies within the universe, and they focus it on a lens which a computer then analyzes and creates an image of. If the speed of light were infinite, we would see nothing but light in every direction that we look. However, since the speed of light is not infinite, and it has a set speed, we can only see light that has been propagating a set amount of distance and time (this can be in relation to the concept of space and time being intimately related to each other, but that's a... relatively different matter than what I am discussing here today) since it was sent from its source.

    So, now that we know how that works, what exactly is the observable universe, and what is outside of it? Is it and will it always be impossible for us to see what is outside of the 'observable universe' since we are limited to only seeing what light has entered into our lens? We'll theorize that the universe was infinite, take the expansion of the universe in consideration here, it is expanding at an exponentially faster rate, (faster than the speed of light) so if it were infinite, than we would not be able to see the light traveling from galaxies and stars more than 13.8 billion light years away from us, because the light would not have reached us yet; so does that impose the hypothesis that the universe is finite, or infinite?


  2. #2
    [R8]ℓσℓ32 caja is online now
    Alpha MaleRank
    Oct 2008 Join Date
    Here!Location
    1,516Posts

    Re: Is the universe infinite? What is the observable universe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Justice For All View Post
    First to start this off we need to look at the speed of light, and consider that the Big Bang causes the expansion of the universe to be at a finite speed; the speed of light. (Which, according to the theory of special relativity developed by the famous physicist Albert Einstein, is the universal speed limit. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light - that is, anything that has mass or information attached to it. Theoretical 'massless' particles and 'informationless data' can potentially propagate faster than light - unrelated to these two mentioned things, take black holes for instance, the gravitational waves produced by black holes are strong enough to pull light in, and also spew radiation back out, so there is something there 'faster' than the speed of light now isn't there?)
    A black hole is the beginning and the end. Universe is finite and doesn't expand. The big bang theory is the biggest crap of universe.

  3. #3
    Gamma Justice For All is offline
    GammaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    Relative to YouLocation
    3,206Posts

    Re: Is the universe infinite? What is the observable universe?

    Quote Originally Posted by caja View Post
    A black hole is the beginning and the end. Universe is finite and doesn't expand. The big bang theory is the biggest crap of universe.
    Actually, black holes are a lot different in nature than we once thought. We once believed that nothing could escape a black hole, until relatively recently we discovered something called "Hawking Radiation" (Hawing Radiation) Basically hawking radiation is a black hole spitting out radiated particles (theoretically) faster than the speed of light, which escapes the pull of the black hole's immense gravity. So black holes are not the beginning and the end, however they still are a unbelievably strong force of nature which we still know very little about.

    In relation to black holes, there is actually a telescope that is getting ready to take the first ever picture of one;

    Astronomers just turned on a planet-size telescope to take a picture of a black hole - Vox
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...-a-black-hole/

    The redshift of galaxies alone is proof enough for most, of the universe expanding; this is not a 'belief' or something to have 'faith' in, this is fact and something you can see with your own two eyes - but I guess we're all different and we all have different reasons for why we believe what we do. But I'll just leave these here as proof of the universe expanding;

    Is there evidence for expanding universe - creation.com
    A Science Odyssey: People and Discoveries: Hubble finds proof that the universe is expanding
    https://cosmictimes.gsfc.nasa.gov/on...expanding.html
    http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/abo...g-intermediate
    http://www.livescience.com/32260-how...expanding.html
    http://gdn.glos.ac.uk/origins/earth/ch1_1.htm
    http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr1/en/ast...e/universe.asp
    http://www.physicsoftheuniverse.com/...expanding.html

    As for the Big Bang theory being, "the biggest crap of the universe" I beg to differ greatly, as it is the 'theory' which holds the most evidence. All of the other theories are just that, theories - The Big Bang actually presents itself with facts and evidence that hold it up against all others. The only thing is, most people are extremely (forgive me for being blunt here) ignorant and set in their ways, and just refuse to believe anything other than what they were either brought up to believe since they were young, or what they 'learned' themselves. They're not open to other options, and just simply instantly disregard everything that disagrees with what they believe. Forgive me for being blunt again, but we would call these people 'closed minded'.

  4. #4
    [R8]ℓσℓ32 caja is online now
    Alpha MaleRank
    Oct 2008 Join Date
    Here!Location
    1,516Posts

    Re: Is the universe infinite? What is the observable universe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Justice For All View Post
    Actually, black holes are a lot different in nature than we once thought. We once believed that nothing could escape a black hole, until relatively recently we discovered something called "Hawking Radiation" (Hawing Radiation) Basically hawking radiation is a black hole spitting out radiated particles (theoretically) faster than the speed of light, which escapes the pull of the black hole's immense gravity. So black holes are not the beginning and the end, however they still are a unbelievably strong force of nature which we still know very little about.

    In relation to black holes, there is actually a telescope that is getting ready to take the first ever picture of one;

    Astronomers just turned on a planet-size telescope to take a picture of a black hole - Vox
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...-a-black-hole/

    The redshift of galaxies alone is proof enough for most, of the universe expanding; this is not a 'belief' or something to have 'faith' in, this is fact and something you can see with your own two eyes - but I guess we're all different and we all have different reasons for why we believe what we do. But I'll just leave these here as proof of the universe expanding;

    Is there evidence for expanding universe - creation.com
    A Science Odyssey: People and Discoveries: Hubble finds proof that the universe is expanding
    https://cosmictimes.gsfc.nasa.gov/on...expanding.html
    http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/abo...g-intermediate
    http://www.livescience.com/32260-how...expanding.html
    http://gdn.glos.ac.uk/origins/earth/ch1_1.htm
    http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr1/en/ast...e/universe.asp
    http://www.physicsoftheuniverse.com/...expanding.html

    As for the Big Bang theory being, "the biggest crap of the universe" I beg to differ greatly, as it is the 'theory' which holds the most evidence. All of the other theories are just that, theories - The Big Bang actually presents itself with facts and evidence that hold it up against all others. The only thing is, most people are extremely (forgive me for being blunt here) ignorant and set in their ways, and just refuse to believe anything other than what they were either brought up to believe since they were young, or what they 'learned' themselves. They're not open to other options, and just simply instantly disregard everything that disagrees with what they believe. Forgive me for being blunt again, but we would call these people 'closed minded'.
    The big bang theory is such as mess, there are theories based on it which describes black holes and others which says black holes doesn't exist, others need to invent dimensions and unknown forces to explain it (dark matter is pretty much used here). It's more like a guessing/brainstorm game of wishes. There are theory's negating the energy conservation principle like quantum fluctuations but instead think a little bit more they say something like "it's an exception" or try to define using the uncertain principle or Schrodingers cat (no idea how is spelled), it's a good way to solve things to still match with your theory. More like giving philosophic answers they should try an objective one, they are fascinating but it's time to grown up and stop negating the evidence.

    The big bang theory is a theory is not based in facts and every probed experiment regarding that theory doesn't show proofs about the original purpose of theory, which is to shown the origin of universe (correct me here if I'm wrong).
    About being "mind-closed", it's actually the opposite. There has not been any good theory or discovery on physics since years 30 or 40 when the string theory came (which is wrong but it's my opinion). We "think" we are very advanced and things are not like before but nothing has changed in 1000 years, every new idea may sound crazy is killed and humiliated, there is no difference when Galileo said the Earth was not plain... it's same now if you negate a well known theory. Let's take for example Stephen Hawking, a man who wrote a lot of theory's and is like a "god"... what is the chance of all his theory's to be completely correct? I've read a lot of them and I've to say that man is not better than average physicist and only difference from other people work like him is he is famous and has a wheelchair, that's all. Always he publish something some people have orgasms and accept what he says with faith, it sounds more like a religion to me. While in science nothing is 100% correct but highly probable to be true.
    What I want to say is my understanding of universe is different from others, I think it's works like stairs/levels, when you reach a new level it may negate or not something previously discovered but not meaning to be incorrect but limited to some "space".

    I'm not saying everyone has take my word but they should because I'm right. This probably would fit perfect in your motivation thread.

  5. #5
    Cya nerds PunkS7yle is offline
    True MemberRank
    Feb 2010 Join Date
    1,408Posts

    Re: Is the universe infinite? What is the observable universe?

    Quote Originally Posted by caja View Post
    Let's take for example Stephen Hawking, a man who wrote a lot of theory's and is like a "god"... what is the chance of all his theory's to be completely correct?
    Dumbest shit I read all year, thanks.




Advertisement