Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Wings?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Been looking into the zmd skeleton for the player...thinking of playing around today and adding a few animation bones to the male.zmd skeleton and overlapping a few wing movement key frames into the idle motion...see if can get the wings to animate on the player...will share results if successful.:blink:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You can not edit character skeleton without having zmo issues after doing so.
There is a trick to have wings moving and make them look animated, tho I can not remember exactly how it was done.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So yeah got the new bones into the zmd.....
AnimalCrackerz - Wings? - RaGEZONE Forums

There's a process to adding the order of the zmo zms and zmd...took hours to work out...seems that you can add new bones and even overwrite ( actually save the newly added bone coordinates to and existing animation)

But as you see here I was able to add sample motion...but it's a super huge job retasking all the new skeleton to all the existing animations..you would actually have to rewrite every Avatar animation.

Within adding the new bones to the rig .. you have to add a skin modifier to the (mystery wing) which is another totally new issue..since while you use a sample wing as in this case the Astarot, when you overwrite the animation the (wing_bones I created) are all specific to the model (wing) used to create the xyz coordinates saved to the animation. If you don't understand, make a .smd conversion of a .zmo animation. Scroll down the .smd and below the skeleton and times are the specific coordinates logged for the appropriate zms model. So long winded as this explanation may seem It turns out it is possible ...BUT A TOTAL UN-NECESSARY WASTE OF TIME...LOL
Would instead go to the effort to create specific wing NPC's or rather commonly referred as MOUNTS..you can add a player ride animation as kind of Flying motion and then for the Mount in the .CHR the appropriate motions for idle, walk, run, etc. and use the pelvis bone as the attachment point. So Flapping moving wings more likely as mounts.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Kind of exactly what I said above.

You can not edit skeleton without screwing every other ZMOs.

If I have time I will look at it.

There was a trick I found to animate them, can't seem to remember how now.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yep So it is a long waste of time if your going to redo all the existing Avatar motions just to add the additional bones to the Avatar and animation time frames.

But this is how I applied the new bones and embedded them to existing animations

I first used the 64x Rose Tool plugin to import the male.zmd skeleton (in 3dsMax 2010) ..then model meshes. But no animation...then modify by adding new bones to skeleton. Then export with Rose Tool and save as Male2.zmd.

Then created new scene..Imported original male.zmd skeleton then model meshes and animation.

This is important. If you try to use your modified skeleton..you will get a bone mismatch error and fail to load animation.

After all assets are imported to scene you then open Rose Tool and import the modified skeleton Male2.zmd.

Now in the scene there are two skeletons. Open the Hierarchy editor and delete all the duplicated bones from the modified skeleton (when you load your modified skeleton the import tool will ask to rename duplicate bones, choose yes to rename). I then took the newly added bones and connected them to Original male skeleton's appropriate connecting bone in this case "b1_neck".

Now to add the frame times to include triangles for the new bones I had to actually Import a wing model mesh. Select the imported wing/model and add a skin modifier. Then assign the new bones to the wing mesh..don't forget to place the wing in appropriate position.

Now you can render scene or skip render seems to export new Frame times to the newly re-written .zmo (May have to double check by opening the .zmo in a .smd format). So once the wing mesh is added and working in scene. You can export the skeleton, mesh, and animation.

But this process is so long and drawn out..It is obscene the effort to rewrite every Avatar animation. But worthwhile for Modding NPC mob models and existing animations

After exporting convert zmd and zmo's to .smd to review the skeleton and times. Each time refers to a single key frame and corresponding bone coordinates. So if your animation has 30 frames..then then you should see 30 different time frames for each skeleton bone/to/.zms mesh.

This is interesting and not such a waste of time if we would like to change NPC's or rather Monster skeletons and modify their Motion files to create new Mob animations, ( ie: add a new monster model, but weight an already existing mobs motion files to it ! ) This isn't an exhausting effort since they basically only have 5-10 motion files applied in the .chr table file. So if you are interested in the future to create or modify existing NPC zmo motion files.. This is a workable process.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Kind of a long process still. Editing a monster/npc will rarely involve skeleton modifiations.

I'd rather create a new npc/mob from scratch than go throw this process.

Yet if it works it is good.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Almost finished this just have to make a few motions for the mob...
Used Easter Bunny and Male flying motion and added wings. Going to use a few Male attack animations and turn this into an monster NPC for Easter Event

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You know Hijakob... I want to honestly admit this is a stupid needless approach to a non-existent problem.. LOL. Honestly would like to bury this Topic as long winded tripe. I think today I might attempt to do a TUT that actually shows how to Import Models from other games or maybe even Player created. There must be an apology for this stupid topic, and forcing everyone to read through all this nonsense.:flute: We have better things to do with our time right?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong.

It is good work.

Hiding this is pointless. Thats the kind of topic where you can see a workaround process and it is interesting, inspiring, for anyone reading closely.

Don't underestimate yourself.

Back