Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Understanding the Trickster Online Server and Client

Libre Software Dev
Developer
Reaction score
So I've seen a lot of threads in the past on many different games including this one which explain releases, downloads, and setups but they don't really get into the thick of understanding the thoughts behind the software itself.
The process of understanding the software and how the original developers' thought processes worked are key to being able to reverse engineer and properly use any acquired software or source whether it be through legal means or otherwise.

I would like this thread to be dedicated to the understanding the software we have available to use for the game Trickster Online.

I do not want to see any post asking random common questions about my releases, such as raising the exp rate, changing character levels, etc. Such questions are in the realm of 'hackers' and 'modifiers' and are only important after something has already been created by 'programmers' and 'developers'.

Both myself and Ice will entertain any legitimate questions about game software that we have knowledge of. So feel free to ask all the "Why" questions that are relative.

So first off I want to explain the very confusing taxonomy of the maps which affects both the client and the server.

Explanation of the prefixes will be ordered like this [mapFilePrefix = Meaning (Ex: Example)]

Code:
map_sq  = These are the map files for [U]Sq[/U]uares and Plazas  (Ex: Megalopolis Square and Azteca)

Code:
mapg  = These are the map files for the normal [U]G[/U]ate maps  (Ex: Gate of Desert Beach)

Code:
mapf  = These are the map files for the [U]F[/U]ield maps, which are generally  (Ex: Beach Field 2 - Center)
        designated as fields in the pop-up descriptions on the warps
        before you change maps

Code:
mapp  = These are the map files for the [U]P[/U]ath maps  (Ex: Southeast Forest)

Code:
mapd  = These are the map files for the normal [U]D[/U]ungeon maps  (Ex: Undersea Dungeon 2)

Code:
maps  = These are the map files for maps containing, for the most part, man-made  (Ex: Beach Town - Paradise)
        [U]S[/U]tructures. These files will contain most of your [U]s[/U]hops and towns.

Code:
map_dg  = These are the map files for the new taxon of [U]D[/U]un[U]g[/U]eon maps.  (Ex: Nora Sewer)
          The majority of dungeons are in this taxon as the switch happened
          right after non-koreans started hosting the game

Code:
map_uw  = These are the map files for the maps that are [U]U[/U]nder [U]W[/U]ater  (Ex: Abyss Dungeon 4)

Code:
map_fd  = These are the map files for [U]F[/U]ield [U]D[/U]ungeon maps,  (Ex: Seabed Field 5 - Abyss)
          which are hybrids between field and dungeon map
          types

Code:
map_mn  = These are the map files for [U]M[/U]i[U]n[/U]e maps.  (Ex: Desert Beach Mine - Crystal Copper)

I'll add the rest later.

Back