Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

GunZ Server in virtual machine can't establish direct connection [Refined GunZ]

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
The server works just fine on the host pc, but when I moved the server to a vm, I suddenly have the error "Failed to establish direct connection to *player name*" causing 999 ping. This error code might be slightly different on Refined GunZ than other servers (I assume this is a NAT?). The vm is running in bridged mode with all the ports forwarded to the vm's ip. It might be relevant to mention that I'm testing on 2 computers on the same network and haven't done any outside testing yet. Also, the pc that the vm is on is also 1 of the pcs I'm playing/testing on.

The Sky's the Limit ^_^
Reaction score
Not sure about testing it on the same network, although I am sure with any source including the 1.5 sources this problem also remains. The error you got there I believe is refined gunz version of NAT. If you were to test it outside of your network I am sure it will work fine. I am using this on a production server and it works just fine, the strange thing is, I get the same error with certain players, but I can still play with them?

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I was also getting the error when hosting the server on the host pc (not in a vm) but it didn't have 999 ping so I was still able to play (sounds like you have the same thing). Then I changed the ip in the config.xml and the error went away and I was finally able to play without error for the first time. I only started getting the error with 999 ping when I moved it to a vm so there is surely something I can do.

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Update: I believe the problem was port forwarding incorrectly. I was trying to forward a range, but I must've done it wrong. I then forwarded each port individually and it worked. I still get the error but ping is normal and playable. I had a 999 ping error but rejoined the room and it worked.

Upvote 0
Back