Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Is Gunz worth getting back into now?

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So, it's been like, years since I've developed for or even played Gunz, and I have no idea what the scene is like nowadays. I gather that there are 1 or 2, maybe 3 or 4 servers that have a fair amount of players but I haven't done any extensive research on it and figured I'd just make a thread about it here.

I'm not asking what servers are the best or which one I should join - just what the community is like nowadays.

C:\User\Secondary\Desktop
Reaction score
Gunz is like poop now, MasangSoftGunZ(KoreanGz) Official is back, GunZ Ultra(spanish) one, still online, the player online count limit is like 300/100 players, If they putting GunZ on "Steam" maybe we getting a good future for gunz communty, if they don't do it still losing players and gunz communty dead.

2 Days ago i was looking on GunZ Ultra, they bought a new license for gunz etc!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Veni, Vidi, Vici
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Getting back into to do what?

If you're looking to play; no.

If you're looking to develop; sure. Pick up the Masangsoft client and work on an emulator.

Items and maps are just worthless add-ons in the end that carry very little weight. Gunz is a great way for anyone to learn emulation or programming in general.

This community has always been self-absorbed, and due to that, the game itself has died. If people here got along with each other and developed the game to make it go forward, people would still be playing it. Ever since Freestyle hired the Secret's tits and Linear, competition has gone sideways. Lambda threw in the towel as well, and honestly, that heavy metal fanatic was the last guy keeping Gunz together.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Rumor has it Monk of is working on on a contract get bring gunz to west and for some reason his small server made it to googles top ranking when you type "Gunz" on google above all other servers. A week before it was on Google's 10 page. So I'm shocked.

Upvote 0
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
just what the community is like nowadays.

The Gunz gaming community has pretty much narrowed down into a massive amount of donators, and a minority of non-donators.

The Gunz modding community is not very different, there's a massive amount of developers who want to get paid, and a minority who works for free.

Bottom line, the Gunz private server scene is all about money nowadays, and it's been like that for the last 2/3 years, which might explain, or not, the loss of interest in the game for so many people.

Rumor has it Monk of is working on on a contract get bring gunz to west and for some reason his small server made it to googles top ranking when you type "Gunz" on google above all other servers. A week before it was on Google's 10 page. So I'm shocked.

That's good, at least someone is trying to do something that will benefit everyone; unlike others, who only care about profit and personal enrichment. Although I don't know Monk very well, he doesn't seem very interested in creating another Gunz-money-making-machine.

AFAIK, please correct me if I'm wrong, Masangsoft asks 50.000$ for a national license, and 100.000$ for an international license. There's also the part of them wanting 50% of the income that any hosting company or individual receives.

I'm not sure about this, but haven't done much research nor contacted anyone to verify if this information is true or false; so as I've said, please correct me if I'm mistaken.

There was also a rumor that Masangsoft was going to open a "Western" server, but haven't heard anything further as well.

EDIT: And I almost forgot, Euro Gunz (UGG) still holds the maximum player count.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Retired. Don't PM.
Developer
Reaction score
At this point - the game is largely dead. Infighting, server political drama, and other such things have killed the game for those who actually enjoy developing and creating content.

There is not a single GunZ server that I can honestly trust anymore to provide the experience that players are looking for. Developers are unmotivated and everyone is concerned about SEO analytics and how much money they can make out of something that isn't even their own game.

My suggestion is - move on, make your own game, and learn from the past mistakes of others. Or - do things the legal way.

Upvote 0
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
It mostly depends on why your considering GunZ Development.
If you are wanting to make a profit, then the answer is no.
If you just want to build up a private community, it will heavily depend on what you have to offer.
If you just enjoy working on GunZ content and wish to show off your talents, It will heavily vary by the server and it's target audience.
If it's just because you enjoy the game itself, then yes.

I personally took a step back to GunZ 1.0 and cleaned out anything that was deemed useless or unimportant. I have began re-writing the source into something that is more efficient, and is easier to alter. A open-source GunZ Server is planned to be released in the near future. My Target audience is however content creators and programmers. There is no plan to make any money and I expect the player count and outside development to be minimal. The only reason I am personally doing this, is to allow people to take a different approach to GunZ and because I enjoyed the game so much in the past.

Just some advice. If you plan on getting into GunZ, just take a step back and think about what made GunZ so enjoyable to you, and work on that. Don't follow the footsteps of the typical private server development community.

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I guess gunz is a hobby for everyone here if not why would someone work on a game from 10+ years which will give you no money at all?
I still enjoy the game even if I do not play it as I used to, thats why I'm still on it.
For me it is a simple question: are you excited about what you are developing? If not it does not worth your time and effort.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
������ ������������������ i got some things in the works..

Justice For All - Is Gunz worth getting back into now? - RaGEZONE Forums
why don't emojis work here, duck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
If you are wanting to make a profit, then the answer is no.

why would someone work on a game from 10+ years which will give you no money at all?

The "top" servers with the biggest player count still get a lot of profit nowadays.

They are donator based servers, obviously, with paid content and paid developers.

NOTE: Both of you guys' work is great though, throughout the Gunz pserver scene "history", not that many people gave birth to open source projects; and it's always great going back to Gunz's roots. Reminds me of @Gunblade 's GunZPLUS project, which was also based on the 1.0 source.

To be honest i wouldn't start a server again, but i'd like to join a server (Developing)

I haven't yet given up on that collective project with several old school guys that I've mentioned here back in Nov/Dec; and despite having lost my motivation due to personal issues, I still want to do something with my colleagues and friends, along with the Gunz developers that don't give two shits about money - who are extremely rare nowadays.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Nope, unless you get a decent team together and you can get a decent community to play the game, it's not worth it. Miracles still happen, but I wouldn't bet on it. There's better games and better communities.

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I am an active, above average gunz player. I have played the game since international gunz. Here is what I know:

These days people are more friendly and I see less egoism than I was used to on Ijji or EuroGunZ. I think this is because these days most players play for fun, not for fame.

Here is what I know about the current servers:

[Universe Gamers GunZ] (Former EuroGunZ)
This is the server I play on. It is currently the most active clan war server. Anti-lead and Lead are decent, but are contain many bugs imho. I am a highly experienced lead player, but leading on that server doesn't work like I was used to on Ijji or EuroGunZ. A lot of the players are from south america, but there are also some Korean, Europeans and North Americans playing.

[Masangsoft GunZ]
I created an account because I was hyped to play clanwar, but unfortunately the clan war servers are empty.

[FreeStyle GunZ]
Not many clan wars. More western players than on Universe Gamers I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking to give it a shot opening a server, but i'll need quite some help.

I've been a SEO Expert for the past 4 years, ranking the website on #1 when you Google for 'Gunz' and the other keywords is quite easy and will get a few hundred visitors each month.

But I will need a good source to start with, a developer that knows everything about the GunZ Source and a few people that are creative so we can put new features into the game.

Maintaining the server won't be a big problem, I know good ways to advertise the server on different places and have a premium mail service for sending out patchlogs to the players.

Upvote 0
Be a kicker than cheater.
Reaction score
Yes GunZ is dying since year 2011 since the source code was released.
Lot of official server closed and lot of private server have opened and just closed after few months or a year.

And yes, I agree with secondary. If GunZ will be added to Steam if very possible, there might be thousands or below thousand of oldgen players that will come back to play GunZ in Steam even how bored because there might be an excitement rolling their minds and lot of some newbie to meet up.

And yes, I agree with Arcelor that custom items made and maps are just worthless in the end as we see in all private servers.
And yes, I agree with SKNeoDio that this GunZ Private Servers is for money purpose, but that's just a nature of life.

SecretsOThePast is stongly correct, the game is largely dead. And yes, move on, make a own game coding from very beginning till end.

For me, Gunz is my favorite game among all online game. The games I played are rakion, crossfire, warrock, soldier front / special force, but GUNZ is the BEST for me!
My brothers knows playing GunZ too, and pro enough in playing, but they are bored in GunZ and never went back to play. 1 playing RO and the rest are Dota2.

Some developer wanted to be part of developer in Popular GunZ Server which has a large count of players or just to be part of staff even in just a small count of players, but if they won't be part of it, they are desperate, and will make on their own, that's the reason they are trying to make a server.

Upvote 0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes GunZ is dying since year 2011 since the source code was released.
Lot of official server closed and lot of private server have opened and just closed after few months or a year.

And yes, I agree with secondary. If GunZ will be added to Steam if very possible, there might be thousands or below thousand of oldgen players that will come back to play GunZ in Steam even how bored because there might be an excitement rolling their minds and lot of some newbie to meet up.

And yes, I agree with Arcelor that custom items made and maps are just worthless in the end as we see in all private servers.
And yes, I agree with SKNeoDio that this GunZ Private Servers is for money purpose, but that's just a nature of life.

SecretsOThePast is stongly correct, the game is largely dead. And yes, move on, make a own game coding from very beginning till end.

For me, Gunz is my favorite game among all online game. The games I played are rakion, crossfire, warrock, soldier front / special force, but GUNZ is the BEST for me!
My brothers knows playing GunZ too, and pro enough in playing, but they are bored in GunZ and never went back to play. 1 playing RO and the rest are Dota2.

Some developer wanted to be part of developer in Popular GunZ Server which has a large count of players or just to be part of staff even in just a small count of players, but if they won't be part of it, they are desperate, and will make on their own, that's the reason they are trying to make a server.

Steam indeed would be a good way to get it more active, still there is the fact the license is way too expensive. I'm currently talking to Masangsoft, but I'm afraid the price isn't gonna drop enough to make it worth giving a shot. Which is sad because GunZ is dead, if the license would be a lot cheaper, money could be put into marketing and other important things.

Upvote 0
Back