Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GammaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    Relative to YouLocation
    3,206Posts

Is Gunz worth getting back into now?

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

So, it's been like, years since I've developed for or even played Gunz, and I have no idea what the scene is like nowadays. I gather that there are 1 or 2, maybe 3 or 4 servers that have a fair amount of players but I haven't done any extensive research on it and figured I'd just make a thread about it here.

I'm not asking what servers are the best or which one I should join - just what the community is like nowadays.

Gold SubscriberRank
    Jul 2013 Join Date
    UnresolvedLocation
    580Posts

Re: Is Gunz worth getting back into now?

Gunz is like shit now, MasangSoftGunZ(KoreanGz) Official is back, GunZ Ultra(spanish) one, still online, the player online count limit is like 300/100 players, If they putting GunZ on "Steam" maybe we getting a good future for gunz communty, if they don't do it still losing players and gunz communty dead.

2 Days ago i was looking on GunZ Ultra, they bought a new license for gunz etc!
    Last edited by secondary; 11-03-17 at 10:33 PM. Reason: wurried

Alpha MaleRank
    Jan 2010 Join Date
    Delhi, IndiaLocation
    1,788Posts

Getting back into to do what?

If you're looking to play; no.

If you're looking to develop; sure. Pick up the Masangsoft client and work on an emulator.

Items and maps are just worthless add-ons in the end that carry very little weight. Gunz is a great way for anyone to learn emulation or programming in general.

This community has always been self-absorbed, and due to that, the game itself has died. If people here got along with each other and developed the game to make it go forward, people would still be playing it. Ever since Freestyle hired the Secret's tits and Linear, competition has gone sideways. Lambda threw in the towel as well, and honestly, that heavy metal fanatic was the last guy keeping Gunz together.
    Testing out new servers. PM me for free webhosting (offshore).

True MemberRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    KonohaLocation
    776Posts

No, for playing
    Yes, for developing
    Good luck :)
    Computer Science

MemberRank
    Sep 2016 Join Date
    19Posts

Rumor has it Monk of GunZ The Duel is working on on a contract get bring gunz to west and for some reason his small server made it to googles top ranking when you type "Gunz" on google above all other servers. A week before it was on Google's 10 page. So I'm shocked.

True MemberRank
    Feb 2007 Join Date
    PortugalLocation
    248Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justice For All View Post
    just what the community is like nowadays.
    The Gunz gaming community has pretty much narrowed down into a massive amount of donators, and a minority of non-donators.

The Gunz modding community is not very different, there's a massive amount of developers who want to get paid, and a minority who works for free.

Bottom line, the Gunz private server scene is all about money nowadays, and it's been like that for the last 2/3 years, which might explain, or not, the loss of interest in the game for so many people.

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonGO View Post
    Rumor has it Monk of GunZ The Duel is working on on a contract get bring gunz to west and for some reason his small server made it to googles top ranking when you type "Gunz" on google above all other servers. A week before it was on Google's 10 page. So I'm shocked.
    That's good, at least someone is trying to do something that will benefit everyone; unlike others, who only care about profit and personal enrichment. Although I don't know Monk very well, he doesn't seem very interested in creating another Gunz-money-making-machine.

AFAIK, please correct me if I'm wrong, Masangsoft asks 50.000$ for a national license, and 100.000$ for an international license. There's also the part of them wanting 50% of the income that any hosting company or individual receives.

I'm not sure about this, but haven't done much research nor contacted anyone to verify if this information is true or false; so as I've said, please correct me if I'm mistaken.

There was also a rumor that Masangsoft was going to open a "Western" server, but haven't heard anything further as well.

EDIT: And I almost forgot, Euro Gunz (UGG) still holds the maximum player count.
    Last edited by SKNeoDio; 14-03-17 at 10:55 PM. Reason: because players mean more than money.
    "Making mistakes is human, the ability to acknowledge them, the humility and maturity to apologize and try to correct them is GODLY"

DeveloperRank
    Jan 2009 Join Date
    646Posts

At this point - the game is largely dead. Infighting, server political drama, and other such things have killed the game for those who actually enjoy developing and creating content.

There is not a single GunZ server that I can honestly trust anymore to provide the experience that players are looking for. Developers are unmotivated and everyone is concerned about SEO analytics and how much money they can make out of something that isn't even their own game.

My suggestion is - move on, make your own game, and learn from the past mistakes of others. Or - do things the legal way.
    Bow down before the one you serve; you're going to get what you deserve.

True MemberRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    KonohaLocation
    776Posts

I agree to what @SecretsOThePast said, like 10000% ... Probably the most accurate answer you would get about this issue :)
    Computer Science

MemberRank
    Sep 2007 Join Date
    56Posts

Hi. friends. Someone has gunz.exe unpacked?

True MemberRank
    May 2008 Join Date
    265Posts

It mostly depends on why your considering GunZ Development.
    If you are wanting to make a profit, then the answer is no.
    If you just want to build up a private community, it will heavily depend on what you have to offer.
    If you just enjoy working on GunZ content and wish to show off your talents, It will heavily vary by the server and it's target audience.
    If it's just because you enjoy the game itself, then yes.

I personally took a step back to GunZ 1.0 and cleaned out anything that was deemed useless or unimportant. I have began re-writing the source into something that is more efficient, and is easier to alter. A open-source GunZ Server is planned to be released in the near future. My Target audience is however content creators and programmers. There is no plan to make any money and I expect the player count and outside development to be minimal. The only reason I am personally doing this, is to allow people to take a different approach to GunZ and because I enjoyed the game so much in the past.

Just some advice. If you plan on getting into GunZ, just take a step back and think about what made GunZ so enjoyable to you, and work on that. Don't follow the footsteps of the typical private server development community.
    --

GammaRank
    Jan 2007 Join Date
    England, UkLocation
    3,771Posts

To be honest i wouldn't start a server again, but i'd like to join a server (Developing)

MemberRank
    Feb 2008 Join Date
    RJ - BrasilLocation
    126Posts

I guess gunz is a hobby for everyone here if not why would someone work on a game from 10+ years which will give you no money at all?
    I still enjoy the game even if I do not play it as I used to, thats why I'm still on it.
    For me it is a simple question: are you excited about what you are developing? If not it does not worth your time and effort.

True MemberRank
    Sep 2007 Join Date
    1,132Posts

������ ������������������ i got some things in the works..

why don't emojis work here, fuck.
    Last edited by ThePhailure772; 16-03-17 at 07:56 PM.

True MemberRank
    May 2011 Join Date
    670Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhailure772 View Post
    ������ ������������������ i got some things in the works..

why don't emojis work here, fuck.
    Will this be an open source project? Interested to see what becomes of this!

True MemberRank
    Feb 2007 Join Date
    PortugalLocation
    248Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nayr438 View Post
    If you are wanting to make a profit, then the answer is no.
    Quote Originally Posted by grandao View Post
    why would someone work on a game from 10+ years which will give you no money at all?
    The "top" servers with the biggest player count still get a lot of profit nowadays.

They are donator based servers, obviously, with paid content and paid developers.

NOTE: Both of you guys' work is great though, throughout the Gunz pserver scene "history", not that many people gave birth to open source projects; and it's always great going back to Gunz's roots. Reminds me of @Gunblade 's GunZPLUS project, which was also based on the 1.0 source.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joe9099 View Post
    To be honest i wouldn't start a server again, but i'd like to join a server (Developing)
    I haven't yet given up on that collective project with several old school guys that I've mentioned here back in Nov/Dec; and despite having lost my motivation due to personal issues, I still want to do something with my colleagues and friends, along with the Gunz developers that don't give two shits about money - who are extremely rare nowadays.
    Last edited by SKNeoDio; 16-03-17 at 11:42 PM. Reason: because good guys deserve credit
    "Making mistakes is human, the ability to acknowledge them, the humility and maturity to apologize and try to correct them is GODLY"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advertisement