• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[Tutorial] SQLServer 2005 DB Restoring and ODBC setup

Arrogant Wizard
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Synopsis
There often been questions about this, and I found there were missing specific guides for the free version of MSSQL, the SQLServer 2005 Express.

Dopestars guide was written to the enterprise version.

Getting Started
The requirement for this guide is you have installed SQLServer 2005 , you can find the installer here Microsoft SQL Server: SQL Server 2005 Express Edition .

Also you are required to have a database backup on your harddisk.

First Step
Start your SQLServer, and login. Here you'll find the following interface.
DeathArt - [Tutorial] SQLServer 2005 DB Restoring and ODBC setup - RaGEZONE Forums

Then right click on the Databases folder to the left. And you'll get the following menu up.
DeathArt - [Tutorial] SQLServer 2005 DB Restoring and ODBC setup - RaGEZONE Forums

Click on Restore Database.

Restoring the database
Now you'll get the following interface up

In here write the name you wish to restore the database to, example my_restored_database. After this select From device as source, and click the button [...] to the right.

Now you should get the following interface up

Here you click on add, and you get a file selector promt op like this

Select your backup from your harddisk and click OK.

Your screen should now look like this

Last edited:
Arrogant Wizard
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Re: [Guide] SQLServer 2005 DB Restoring

Click OK, and the following should appear

Check the 2 checkboxes, and click on Options in the menu to the left.

Your interface should now look like this

Now click in the "Restore As" field so you can edit the file path, like this

This is important because the DB will most likely try and restore in a not-existing file path, and you'll get the following error

After editing both paths, it should look like this

(ofcource with YOUR paths in)

Click OK and watch the magic.

~ Windcape, Project HOAX.

(2 posts so I got all images with).

Last edited:
Arrogant Wizard
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Re: [Guide] SQLServer 2005 DB Restoring and ODBC setup

ODBC Setup

I'll just add a simple guide to how to setup ODBC on windows XP, as I belive it's close connected with the restoring. (English Windows XP, so you have to figure out what it's called if you're running a native version.)

Open the ODBC setup
Open your windows control panel

Select Administrative Tools

Select Data Sources (ODBC)

Select System DSN

Scroll to the bottom and select SQL Server

Setup of your ODBC
After doing this, you get a new interface op, here you'll write your server name, and perhaps a optional description.

For the Server you can typical just select a server, or write (local). In my case it's AZEROTH\SQLEXPRESS as my computer is named AZEROTH.
This also works over network, in case you're setting up a ODBC on another server than the SQLServer.

After this you press Next and get the following

Leave it to the above settings, and click Next

Now you'll get the following interface

Check the Change default database to and select your kalonline database. If you got multiple databases, you have to setup 2 ODBC connections, and then use them differently in your DBConfig,AuthConfig and MainConfig files for the kalonline servers.

Click Next and get the following interface

Swiftly skip this, and click 'Finish'. You'll possible get a window up asking you to test about it works. This is up to yourself, if you reached this far it surely allready works.

And then finaly it should look like this

Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Nice tut, i think i posted one a while back, you'll still get alot of questions ;)

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score

Great Guide it works ty man

Arrogant Wizard
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Fixed the images :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

anyone with a brain can do it without the images too:wink:
when i upgraded to 2005 your tut here didn't have them either so i just closed my browser and started, not that hard at all + u actually learn something from it

If u just always keep using tutorials, u'll never get anywhere!

example: i'm hosting my little testserver for my friends, some of them wanted to make an own server .... i just point them to the guides section here, 1 day later i get every single one of them whining they don't even understand the tutorials :s

Initiate Mage
Reaction score

could you maybe upload some good .bak files

all the database things on this forum dont have a .bak extension

Arrogant Wizard
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Just rename them to .bak ...

Back