Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

L2J Rule for Serverpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I watched this a long time but we should keep it under the gpl rules.
If you publish a server pack here provide the sources! No need to make a svn or something it is enough if you upload a .tar.gz / bz2 / zip / rar whatever containing the sources you used ! Note this must be done for every version !

Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to the public?
The GPL does not require you to release your modified version. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
This new rule is directed at Developers and Distributors. (Serverpack makers).
Not to the normal user who just wants to set up a server.

It means if you create a Server pack or redistribute someone else's compiled work, whether you modify the work or not, You must supply Your source code.

Source code - The raw java files used to make the server.
Compiled work - Raw java files "assembled" into a jar file.
Serverpack - The combined Server and Datapack files.
Redistribute - To take someone else's work and make it available elsewhere.
Modify - To change or alter the original work.

"How do I supply my source code" - You can set up a free SVN Repository at , (preferred method),
OR you can zip up all the raw java files and make them publicly available.
You will have to keep and make available, each and every version you release if you choose to zip them.

"Do I have to give the source code in each pack?"
No, you just have to make it available to the public for 3 years.

"I used l2jfree source code to make this, just get their code."
It does not work this way. You took their work and changed it. So it is now your work. (You probably put your name on it, didn't you?). Now you must supply Your source code.

"But I only changed one little thing."
Tough, you changed it now you must supply code. Your source code.

"But all I did was create a Serverpack. I did not change anything."
It is still considered a modified work. Original works do not come in "packs", and the one that does, has a SVN.

"Do I have to give Support for my pack?"
No, you are under no obligation to supply support for your work, but the moderators and users here may not like you very much if you don't.
And if you don't supply support for your work you may or may not be allowed to post it here.

"Since it is my work, can I change all the credits in the files?"
No, you can only ADD credit for your portion of the work. Changing/Removing someone else's name in the files can get you in legal trouble.

"This is all shenanigans, I'll do what I want to do".
Sure, no problem. And the license holders are also allowed to do 'what they want to do' to protect their work.

"I'm in (country), they can't do anything to me!"

It would depend on your countries laws and procedures and the desire of the license holder to follow through with a case.

"Are these really rules?"
Yes, it is something you agreed to by using the files.
"But I don't agree with it."
Then go play WoW.

Read here,
And translations,
This is also in each and every Server or Datapack release. license.txt or gpl.txt

Mods - Please add this to the Serverpack Rules thread.

this is the work of Darien385 much appriciated

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back