Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[CMS] Dusk [ASP .NET Core / EF Core / Comet]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Software Engineer
Reaction score
Dusk CMS
Powered by ASP .NET Core & Entity Framework Core

Summary
Dusk is a Content Management System coded in C# on top of the ASP .NET Core web stack. It takes full advantage of Entity Framework Core and it's ORM capabilities (though not as fast as Dapper it'll do for this use case) and the advantages of the rich (though still growing) .NET Core platform as a result. Currently the focus is on supporting Comet Emulator's database schema. This will in the future, but for now it is not a .

It is licensed under the , merely retaining a copyright notice of credit to the original project is all that's necessary to be in compliance with the license, that and understanding that we (past, present and future contributors) do not provide any warranty whatsoever as stated in the MIT License. So don't be a jerk, just leave "Dusk CMS" at the footer of your hotel, or in some "About" page at the very least if you deviate from our goals.

Usability Status
Currently this project is not usable for a live hotel, it is in it's very early infancy stage.

Repository & Code Contributions
All code is under version control on and available from every stage of development to everyone interested (including all my screw ups!). The way it works is there are two main branches: and the rest are ticketed / personal branches based out of the development branch. Anyone is allowed to contribute, just note your code will be peer reviewed before being approved into the development branch, there will be further documentation on contributing later, for now either go on the team Discord or PM me on here (not sure if allowed to just post a Discord or not).

Bitbucket Source found here:

Goals
Every project must have a set of goals in order to be considered worthwhile:

1. [*=center]The primary goal of Dusk is for everyone involved to learn new things.
    [*=center]Second goal is to have fun working on Dusk.
    [*=center]The third goal is to push the source code as far as it can go with the current chosen toolset, this keeps us from getting into framework / library e-penis debates.

I have been doing Software Development in the industry and I wish to bring some of those standard ways of developing to streamline the code contribution process.

I also intend to add extended features that can be toggled on or off such as RPG focused features and the first expansion goal will be to to support more emulators than just Comet. Ideally we want to be a one stop shop as far as a CMS goes (as ambitious as this may sound). No unnecessary PHP nonsense, just pure .NET at it's (potential) finest.

If people don't want to use it, that's also fine. I will not be bothered by this. Feel free to critique the code and make suggestions, if you critique without actual code reference or documented reference your post will be ignored, if you persist I will simply report you.

Current Progress
Currently the project has basic login / registration. I've added support for Pomelo which is a library that adds MySQL support to EntityFrameworkCore as a result of Comet using MySQL. A new "Area" was also added, mostly it's just a dive into how to use Areas as suggested by Joopie. The rest is basic and bare bones. If you're accustomed to setting up an ASP .NET Core application you have to setup your own migration (the Migrations folder is .gitignore'd for sanity's sake). My next set of goals is to add some database models for Comet, at least some simple ones.

Libraries Used

Screenshots
Login View:
dCS79zD - [CMS] Dusk [ASP .NET Core / EF Core / Comet] - RaGEZONE Forums
Edit User View:
E21CYau - [CMS] Dusk [ASP .NET Core / EF Core / Comet] - RaGEZONE Forums

Shoutouts to Project Supporters / Maintainers
Joopie
Leon

Thanks,
Moogly

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Reaction score
I preffer Plus instead because Comet Server with a website in ASP.NET sounds just horrible. However interesting development. Can't wait to see more, I will keep an eye on this :love:

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I-Is that design serious or just an april fools joke?
The design is the least important thing for the development right now and can be done later or even left for the end user to customize themself.

Looks interesting good luck!

Software Engineer
Reaction score
The design is the least important thing for the development right now and can be done later or even left for the end user to customize themself.

Looks interesting good luck!

Correct, and that is one of the intended goals. I will probably wind up listing some of the tickets on this thread to reflect that.

I preffer Plus instead because Comet Server with a website in ASP.NET sounds just horrible. However interesting development. Can't wait to see more, I will keep an eye on this :love:

You're free to use whatever CMS you wish. It's not horrible, ASP .NET Core is actually pretty damn clean and simple to work with compared to how cumbersome PHP can get sometimes, and it's a much better experience than doing JSP, I've had to port over a JSP application to Python due to how much of a mess it's legacy maintenance became. Companies pay big money for ASP .NET developers.

Feel free to contribute feature requests later on down the road as this project progresses further though. I would love to work on any changes to make it more competitive, but again everyone is free to use whatever they want to use. I love deployment of ASP .NET Core projects, it's just a simple git push and Azure kicks off a build, and once ready and the next user hits the web page it deploys.

I-Is that design serious or just an april fools joke?

No it is not a joke, ASP .NET Core defaults to using Bootstrap. I have not touched it yet since style is not a current top priority. See for ticket issues. . I'm not heavy on front-end styling, but I do have experience doing front-end JavaScript (I just make things work man, idc how it looks basically). You're welcome to join the team and do one of the initial layouts for the project? If so I will bump up the priority for .

I could of waited months to post this and have had some nicer styles but, I want to give anyone and everyone an opportunity to contribute, all you need is VS Code (100MB of a download) or Visual Studio 2017 (Community is what I'm using), Git and a BitBucket account and you're more than welcome to take a stab at contributing. If anyone is interested in learning a bit of web development feel free to join the Discord (it's on the repo readme) I'll do my best to mentor new contributions.

Edit:

Also, since I will likely work on this mostly on Sundays I will try to do livestreaming whilst working on this on Twitch if anyone is interested I will post the link whenever I go live.

Last edited:

Bow

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Also, since I will likely work on this mostly on Sundays I will try to do livestreaming whilst working on this on Twitch if anyone is interested I will post the link whenever I go live.

Feel free to PM me a link as I'd be interested.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Why not the more widely used Arcturus Emulator database scheme? I prefer that more over trash Comet Emulator

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Why not the more widely used Arcturus Emulator database scheme? I prefer that more over trash Comet Emulator

If you want to contribute towards that ticket you can. No need to talk about other's hard work. When you work on software instead of spending your days critiquing projects you actually come to understand priorities. Arcturus is low on my list of priorities but yeah it will be supported eventually, just don't hold your breath for support unless you or someone else contributes towards that architecture of the project.

Software Engineer
Reaction score
I did some updates on my moogly-development branch a while ago. I have not had a good chance to update anything significant currently. I'm evaluating another web stack to see if it's feasible to try out instead of .NET Core but until I can feel comfortable making a switch I will keep doing some changes on this. I will be sure to post an update if I make a switch. My focus is still ultimately to support Comet emulator and then eventually other emulators.

Reaction score
I thought the whole project goal was to take this as far as it could go within its current toolset. Regardless, it’s nice seeing some ASP development but it’s not my cup of tea :p good luck

Software Engineer
Reaction score
I thought the whole project goal was to take this as far as it could go within its current toolset. Regardless, it’s nice seeing some ASP development but it’s not my cup of tea :p good luck

It is, but learning is the highest priority. I'm debating using Rust instead to really learn more about using Rust to build a full stack web application. It has more of a learning curve than anything I've ever used before.

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
It is, but learning is the highest priority. I'm debating using Rust instead to really learn more about using Rust to build a full stack web application. It has more of a learning curve than anything I've ever used before.

Yeah, use Rust, don't actually take Windows Server seriously, please don't.

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah, use Rust, don't actually take Windows Server seriously, please don't.

I run ASP .NET Core on Linux... :$: But I think I'll be making the shift to Rust. I have a potential job in the future where I will need to work in Rust so I may dive into the language fully starting now. I'm prototyping through another project before I migrate this one over. Good time to do so since it's so young. I've got the libraries I want to use picked out already.

Retired
Reaction score
Looks very promising. I felt like making a joke about why you would do something in ASP, but someone already made that mistake :( Just curious, why did you go with EF instead of Dapper? Been using Dapper for a while now and I love the simplicity of it compared to EF where I always managed to get into a corner where I tried to do something that wasn't really supported.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
That design is too simple and too poor for being a Habbo CMS, I think.

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Looks very promising. I felt like making a joke about why you would do something in ASP, but someone already made that mistake :( Just curious, why did you go with EF instead of Dapper? Been using Dapper for a while now and I love the simplicity of it compared to EF where I always managed to get into a corner where I tried to do something that wasn't really supported.

Used Dapper for an Azure Function I had built at work but never since. I've gotten used to EF Core and know a lot of the edge cases, especially when it comes to GIS w/ EF Core I've had the 'pleasure' of working around all the edge cases for the sake of 'deploying into production'. So I'm going with what I'm much more familiar with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back