Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[LATEST] Icarus Emulator [Java, Netty, MySQL, Plugins, Camera]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Developer
Developer
Reaction score
re: Icarus Server (Production) - [Python, Multi-DB/MySQL]

How exactly does this prevent zombie connections?

Prepared statements and other classes implement AutoCloseable which is used within try-with-resource and therefore will close those statements automatically after they're used.

topkek amirite??
Reaction score

Prepared statements and other classes implement AutoCloseable which is used within try-with-resource and therefore will close those statements automatically after they're used.

You're closing the statements yeah but from what it looks like you aren't correctly closing the connections. Here's a snippet from Comet.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

Ah, now I get it. Thanks for the explanation.

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

You're closing the statements yeah but from what it looks like you aren't correctly closing the connections. Here's a snippet from Comet.

Yeah... I see, thanks :):

And a huge NO THANKS to maritnmine for giving me an incorrect implementation of how to properly close JDBC objects.

Ah, now I get it. Thanks for the explanation.

Nah it's still wrong, it only closes the statement and not the connection. Leon told me so.

Retired
Loyal Member
Reaction score

And a huge NO THANKS to @maritnmine for giving me an incorrect implementation of how to properly close JDBC objects.

You're using a wrapper which limits what I can do with your code so may thank yourself for that. Instead of attacking me you should point out what was wrong in my code snippet. Why is it that I have to explain everything that is obvious in such detail?

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

You're using a wrapper which limits what I can do with your code so may thank yourself for that.

You're the one who told me that, so you can thank yourself for giving bad advice! :):

Instead of attacking me you should point out what was wrong in my code snippet. Why is it that I have to explain everything that is obvious in such detail?

In no way did I attack you, if you believe someone verbally saying no thank you in bold letters is considered attacking, then go seek some help.

Retired
Loyal Member
Reaction score

You're the one who told me that, so you can thank yourself for giving bad advice! :):

I thought the PreparedStatement class was a wrapper you made, so my bad. I only used JDBC connections in one project then jumped to Hibernate as it was giving me cancer. But to be honest, zombie connections is a problem you shouldn't have to deal with in the first place in projects at this scale. You might wanna look into Hibernate and see what it has to offer as it essentially replaces your DAO classes. The only sad part with Hibernate is that it increases your application startup time drastically as well as it adds a whole bunch of dependencies to your project.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

Don't do Hibernate, for the sake of . Just dig a little more into documentation and you'll have this resolved, you'll learn more that way too. :)

as it was giving me cancer.
The usage of .NET already rotted your mind and infected you with M$ cancer. A little more cancer won't do you that much damage.

Retired
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Don't do Hibernate, for the sake of .
Can you elaborate on why Hibernate violates the KISS principle?

The usage of .NET already rotted your mind and infected you with M$ cancer. A little more cancer won't do you that much damage.

Can you keep your personal opinions that are entirely off-topic to yourself as those do not contribute to this thread at all in any way whatsoever. My point was that the way I was used to work with MySQL using the wrapper @Dissi had made was far simpler and cleaner than the JDBC one that I worked with. Am I being cancerous for critiquing bad software design? You might wanna start open your mind and actually with .NET these days, I've been working in Java for the most part the past few years and man things have changed since 2011.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

You might wanna start open your mind and actually with .NET these days, I've been working in Java for the most part the past few years and man things have changed since 2011.
I'm very aware that M$ is trying to save their butt by adopting techniques other companies use to sell crap to other developers (hint: 'open-source'), however, it's still cancerous, since M$'s priority will still be their own platform. It's nice to hear you opted out of cancerous .NET, now the only thing left for you to do is leave all M$ based things and travel to the .

Retired
Loyal Member
Reaction score

I'm very aware that M$ is trying to save their butt by adopting techniques other companies use to sell crap to other developers (hint: 'open-source'), however, it's still cancerous, since M$'s priority will still be their own platform. It's nice to hear you opted out of cancerous .NET, now the only thing left for you to do is leave all M$ based things and travel to the .

As a while male, I wouldn't encourage other developers to use feminist frameworks (And I'm not), I've been thinking of entirely opting out of Skype ( ) but we'll see. Just like you, I don't support feminist software companies and it is indeed tempting to poop on them whenever possible, but let's stay civil and stay on-topic.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

There's nothing wrong with .NET what-so-ever.
It's a simple case of 'Each to his own', nothing more, nothing less.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

Can you elaborate on why Hibernate violates the KISS principle?
It overcomplicate things for a developer. If all you want is to access your data as an object (The DAO way™) then just query the database of choosing and parse it's result into an object. Want it more abstracted away? Create a helper function.

Solving everything with a library removes the control of the program from the programmer, sometimes resulting in unexpected behaviour. Which in turn, allow vulnerabilities to surface.

There's nothing wrong with .NET what-so-ever.
Except that it requires you to give up your and be a slave for all eternity?

Retired
Loyal Member
Reaction score

It overcomplicate things for a developer. If all you want is to access your data as an object (The DAO way™) then just query the database of choosing and parse it's result into an object. Want it more abstracted away? Create a helper function.

Solving everything with a library removes the control of the program from the programmer, sometimes resulting in unexpected behaviour. Which in turn, allow vulnerabilities to surface.

While I do agree with some of your point, I still disagree that it violates the KISS principle. Yes, it takes some time to get into Hibernate in addition to setting it up. But once you are across this barrier you are able to be more productive than before you started with Hibernate and in the end you save a lot of time. The same principle goes with technical debt as well where this drawing illustrates my point:
Quackster - [LATEST] Icarus Emulator [Java, Netty, MySQL, Plugins, Camera] - RaGEZONE Forums

The same analogy goes for washing dishes at a restaurant. Yes, a washing machine is expensive, requires maintenance and your staff to learn it, but in the end it automates a lot of work for one employee and you save a lot of work. You might already have a highly skilled worker for washing dishes, but this is a job that can for the most part be automated and that worker can go do something else while the dishes are being cleaned. When you count the hours and the cost for the worker compared to the operational costs for the washing machine, you may find that you have save a lot of money.

Except that it requires you to give up your and be a slave for all eternity?

Can we please stop talking about feminist frameworks and get back on-topic?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

When you count the hours and the cost for the worker compared to the operational costs for the washing machine, you may find that you have save a lot of money.
The ultimate Quackster's net worth is negative. Therefore he actually gains by spending more time on developing.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

Can we please stop talking about feminist frameworks and get back on-topic?
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as 'feminist', is in fact, , or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Feminists.

Retired
Loyal Member
Reaction score

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as 'feminist', is in fact, , or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Feminists.

Your point is really triggering my PTSD from feminist software. Microsoft is the creator of feminist software such as Ms. Paint, Ms. PowerPoint including the .NET framework and Ms. Visual Basic. should clear up things for you.

Last edited:
topkek amirite??
Reaction score

Hoshiko the feminist confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back