Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[LATEST] Icarus Emulator [Java, Netty, MySQL, Plugins, Camera]

Status
Not open for further replies.
git bisect -m
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Re: Icarus Server (Production) - [Python, Multi-DB/MySQL]

Imma let you finish but, Python is the best programming language of all time. IoT is only for basement dwellers, and take a REST from your hate m8. You just said it runs slow on lower hardware, but said it runs fast on a Macbook Pro? You must not know what lower hardware is right? :) [/parody]

You did a code only saying Hello World? For one thing you don't understand how complicated strings are in programming, computers don't speak "strings" they speak 1's and 0's, another thing is how you ran it, you likely ran it on defaults and are crying about that? Tell Google to stop using Python, and Dropbox, Pinterest, Hulu, Netflix, Instagram, and whatever else you use that is likely powered by Python. It's good enough, I don't see you doing serious C++ work on here to be talking so highly. If you can't code a simple scripting language correctly don't tell me to shut up? You're using a $35 piece of crap to write code in and you're whining about Python based on that? Nobody is going to run a Habbo server on a Raspberry Pi, only to look like a Special person when it hits high enough load. This isn't your IoT community where you need to be closer to Assembly to do anything useful. Everyday people could care less about IoT anyway, right now it is mostly a hobbyist thing. I'd never want half of my house to be on the internet, it's like leaving all your doors to everything you own unlocked.

As Caustik said, we're not here to be Google scale, nor are we here to cater to $35 crappy SBC's or Microcontrollers? As for enterprise experience, Python is used in enterprise. Tell Reddit their Python doesn't scale sometime, or Hulu, or Netflix, then go look at Twitter and how Ruby is going for them, didn't last too long for them. Python gets the job done, and pays for my bills, so till it doesn't pay for my bills, Python is the best programming language in the world. Try making a GUI with Ruby or PhP or Perl, I'll have made one in Python by the time you figure out how to print "Hello World" on the screen, no pun intended.

i like your advice, but guy stay ontopic! I know really well about lower hardware and higher hardware systems, since i work with embedded systems. I also know about machine language you don't need to learn what 0 and 1 are for me. I did only an offtopic comparison that Python can't run very well for advanced systems in things like Raspberry. obviously i will not create a Habbo Server in a Rasp.
Stop being sarcastic. I like you a lot. I think you're a great developer better than me in some things. And why are you talking about Netflix here? lmfao. And Hello World applications are a good way to see how memory a language take over with a basic world knowing application. Also i don't know if you know something about IoT, but if not, please don't try learn to me something about performance. You don't know how difficult it's try to run REST API in an Arduino. With a big complex statemachine. IoT is a lot more complex than Habbo. So you experience and my experience in Habbo are nothing when we go in an IoT scenario. I know it's off topic. But also your comment was a lot off topic... So.. Double off topic hehe..

I liked your joke with the REST word haha. Seriously, i like you, your points are valid. But... please don't try say intelligent words here to make you more smart.

Anyways, @Quackster i wish a good development and luck for you.

I'm totally dumb in Python and never programmed in Python before. So i'm really sorry if i said a lot of shits about Python here.

I only said those things, in a noob way/angle/opinion.

Again, good luck! I'm anxious for new updates!!

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

No one (afaik) I haven't said anything about Python not being used in enterprise development. I was clarifying that when I discussed Python's speed in comparison to other languages I wasn't talking about your every day programming task I was talking on a much broader scale.

Python really is fast enough, stop talking out of your arse.

I'm actually regretting creating this in Python, it's a great language but I didn't realise until I was far into the project that I Ducking hate type inference. I'd rather have my objects easily identifiable, otherwise it causes problems for me, and it's the main reason why there's been some slow development.

I don't want to do this in Java either, because I'm fluent in it and I find it boring to redo something I've done a hundred times over before.

I'm considering doing it in C/C++ because it's such a beautiful language.
Most modern tooling makes your objects 'identifiable'. I don't know how you're writing your code, but if you can't discern types and objects, you're definitely doing it wrong.

Software Engineer
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Most modern tooling makes your objects 'identifiable'. I don't know how you're writing your code, but if you can't discern types and objects, you're definitely doing it wrong.

I don't think he's paying attention to Python 3.6 at all?

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

I don't think he's paying attention to Python 3.6 at all?

Great, now that requires me to go through every function and add more imports.

I didn't know Python could do that and I don't feel like doing that either.

Software Engineer
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Great, now that requires me to go through every function and add more imports.

I didn't know Python could do that and I don't feel like doing that either.

Your call, my suggestion is you make a different thread if you change the project language again, it's a bit polluted at this point with irrelevant commentary.

git bisect -m
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Python can be up to 400 times slower than C++ and pretty much slower than any other language. Just saying.

@Quackster don't bother writing it in C++, if you have no experience in C++ you will give up quite quickly.

I'm a noob in Python. But just as i said, Python is really more slower.

what the gosh???
Quackster - [LATEST] Icarus Emulator [Java, Netty, MySQL, Plugins, Camera] - RaGEZONE Forums

Quackster - [LATEST] Icarus Emulator [Java, Netty, MySQL, Plugins, Camera] - RaGEZONE Forums

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Your contrived benchmarks don't mean much; if Python can be used by companies like Dropbox and Instagram, what makes your habbo emulator so special?

Also, Quackster, if you were using modern python techniques it would probably be more pleasant to use.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

Python really is fast enough, stop talking out of your arse.
... That wasn't my point. I never said it was slow nor did I say it was fast.

Software Engineer
Loyal Member
Reaction score

If it matters THAT much performance to you dopes. Python can deliver, Python is coded in C and is highly embeddable into C / C++ projects. This allows you to not just leverage the power of other libraries coded in C / C++ but also achieve such power without the drawbacks of the complexity of programming too much in those languages. You could code the server in Python 3.6 with types, and use UVLoop which drops in with asyncio and just gives it a boost. So if you use the standard Python networking libraries, you can benefit from others adding on to it, as well as having it as an optional import. If it doesn't import, just use the built in networking. If you really care about the speed you can go native. If you want the JVM you can have it. If you want the CLR, you can have that too.

Python UVLoop:

If he ever drops this project from Python I would definitely find my own time to implement this server with completely modern approaches (starting with the latest stable version of Python 3) and build up from the standard libraries. Python is still my bread and butter, and it's used by real companies all over for all types of mission critical projects (not making this up).

Software Engineer
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Python can be up to 400 times slower than C++ and pretty much slower than any other language. Just saying.

Quackster don't bother writing it in C++, if you have no experience in C++ you will give up quite quickly.

See the C++ section. Python can achieve amazing speeds, the types of speed issues you're on about only matter in the IoT world, or in the 1990's. This is 2016, people have amazing hardware to run Python code off of. C++ is great for graphics development, but then embedding a scripting language like Python becomes sane once you've implemented the performance hungry portions. You could probably code a whole server in Python, create extensions in C / C++ and finish within months, long before a C++ programmer has much working without over 9000 memory leaks and bugs they can't seem to figure out because this sections full of kids.

Python is productive, and powerful, if you neglect the current standards you will miss out on it's beauty. I myself keep finding out better ways to do things in Python, and the nicer ways I find of doing Python code, the more I love it. I can run Python anywhere on any OS and not worry about much. I know if I truly need to extend it I can. I know plenty of Linux OS' use it internally. Hell I've seen Lua scale like crazy as a back-end web server language. itch.io is exclussively coded in Lua. :)

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

MsRJLxH - [LATEST] Icarus Emulator [Java, Netty, MySQL, Plugins, Camera] - RaGEZONE Forums

The only thing right now preventing me from creating this as a multi-platform application is because I'm using winsock, which can be easily swapped out.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Software Engineer
Loyal Member
Reaction score

My interest in this project lives with the Python side, guess I'll have to feed that interest on my own time. :) Sadly your git repos aren't really available so I can't tinker with the Python as it was left.

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

My interest in this project lives with the Python side, guess I'll have to feed that interest on my own time. :) Sadly your git repos aren't really available so I can't tinker with the Python as it was left.

I noticed my links were messed up, here you go fam:

Should've opted for Golang, fool

If I wanted to use C++ I'll use C++, there's no "should've". Sorry. :(:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back