Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Trouble Getting Server & Client To Communicate [Shockwave]

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have been working on a small project in my free time and have just recently finished the 'handshake' protocol for Shockwave era Habbo.

Now, I am trying to test logging-in via a v19 DCR but I'm unsure as to how to get the client and the server to communicate with each other. Upon trying to login via the client it just says connecting and never establishes a connection with my server. I have no checks on Player credentials atm so it should just log you in regardless of what username/password you use.

ZvnVWcN - Trouble Getting Server & Client To Communicate [Shockwave] - RaGEZONE Forums

INB4 does your server even work. Yes, I have tested it with a client that I made and all functionality seems to be working as expected.

Server details: Written in Java 8 and powered by Netty. TCP game server is finished(minus handling idle connections). & I have only done the packets for handshake.

Environment details: I am using Xampp on Windows 10 + Palemoon Browser; all on my localhost.

DCR Pack:

This may be a rather n00bish question but hey, I'm trying here.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Reaction score
Make sure your ports are correctly in the client and server. Make sure once you establish a connection (which I don't know if you log it or not?) you send @@ with char 0 to the client before you can receive any packets.

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
You are visiting your DCR directly. Don't you have to setup an html file containing your external texts, variables, host and the right port?

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Re: Trouble Getting Server & Client To Communicate [Shockwave]

Make sure your ports are correctly in the client and server. Make sure once you establish a connection (which I don't know if you log it or not?) you send @@ with char 0 to the client before you can receive any packets.
There is no connection being established; I'm certain it's the client.

After class when I took another look I noticed that the file where I set the port did not even belong in the DCR pack and appeared to be some leftover file from a CMS? So I guess the answer lies in actually setting the port for the client.

Would I need to make some sort of .php file that serves the client to the end-user as well as sets port etc?

You are visiting your DCR directly. Don't you have to setup an html file containing your external texts, variables, host and the right port?

Yes, the file I had the port set for the client was incorrect; it did not belong in the DCR pack at all.
The only file remaining that could be a candidate is external_variables.txt which has no spot for port or anything networking related. I'm assuming I need to come up with my own solution, but help would still be appreciated as I am unsure of what I would need to do.

After looking at an old cms it seems I would need to come up with a .php file but I have 0 experience in that realm and I can't jank the one I'm looking at because it references a bunch of other files for the variables.

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Still can't seem to establish a connection between the client & server. I have my ports set appropriately, server is running, launcher works.

I'm using this as a launcher:

Now getting this error:

treebeard - Trouble Getting Server & Client To Communicate [Shockwave] - RaGEZONE Forums

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I actually solved the issue that day. Getting the original external_variables + new launcher solved the issue. Thanks though!!

Upvote 0
Back