Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[TUT] How to take Automatic Backup with Navicat and Dropbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'nome sayin'
Reaction score
Exonize - [TUT] How to take Automatic Backup with Navicat and Dropbox - RaGEZONE Forums

Hello, thought I would share this smart way to store automatic backups of your database in the cloud. Personally I don't like Navicat or Windows Server but I spent some time learning the basics in Navicat.

What do I need?
- Windows OS
- Navicat Premium
- Dropbox Free(or Pro)

How does it work?
It is very simple, you create a batch job that will take backup and give it a schedule so it will repeat. Now this is where Dropbox comes in, after installing Dropbox on your server you will get a folder that will sync all the files you upload. This means after the files are synced you can access them anywhere even if your server is off.

I will show you how to change destination folder for your backups. All your backups will be compressed in a .PSC file. This is why you don't really need a Pro user at Dropbox. My database is on 2 gb~ but after the backup is compressed and uploaded to Dropbox it's only 180 MB.

Let's start
1. Right-click on your connection and click Connection Properties
Exonize - [TUT] How to take Automatic Backup with Navicat and Dropbox - RaGEZONE Forums

2. Click Advanced, then change "Settings Save Path" to your Dropbox folder.

My Dropbox folder is on my Desktop but you did maybe put your's somewhere else.

3. Go back to Navicat and press "Schedule", then click New Batch Job.

4. Double click on "Backup (yourdatabasename)" so it will show up in the field under.

5. Now let's save! press CTRL+S and type in a name ex. Backup and then Ok.

6. The backup is now ready but with no function. Press Set Task Schedule and go to "Schedule".

You can now enter when you would like to take automatic backups. I choosed Daily and 8 PM because then it's night where I live so few users are online.

7. After you have set your schedule press Ok and enter your server password.

Pro tips: Create another Batch Job that empty your chatlog 5 minutes before the backup.

You can now access your backups anywhere and through all your devices!

This is also really smart in many ways, let's say your server gets hacked and they wipe your database. You will still have the database from last schedule. Just make sure to store Dropbox another place then your Desktop.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Re: How to take Automatic Backup with Navicat and Dropbox

This is so sick! Thank you so much.

G'nome sayin'
Reaction score

This is so sick! Thank you so much.

No problem.

Here is how my Dropbox looks like:

I have one folder for Database backups, one for my website(including SWFs) and one for software like Navicat.
Been using this for one week and it's really great that my backups are only on 180MB.

And yes, this has nothing to do with Habbo but I read daily about users getting their server wiped by 'hackers' and admins who stabs you in the back. And also if your hosting company close your server.

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

Yeah I got it to like that.

Reaction score

A very good and detailed tut.
Even though I already knew how to do this, but this is useful to other kids out there!

Like + Rep <3

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

This is amazing. I will be using this for my new hotel, for sure! Great work man, never would've thought about doing this!

G'nome sayin'
Reaction score

Here is a new download link for Navicat:

Enjoy!

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score

I using MysqlBackupFtp. It has more features and it faster & stabler. Eg. it takes large backup very fast and compress it to small. Automatic upload to FTP, HDD or DROPBOX. :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

Nice tutorial, could be helpfull for the most of this guys :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

This is good for those who are too lazy to make a backup every hour their selfs and for the other guys of course. :blushing:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

how can you do the chatlog part? sound awesome thanks

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

This doesn't work for me...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

It's pretty easy and it does work for me though so thank you for the Guide. :)

Initiate Mage
Reaction score

Upload again the images please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back