• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Over 1 million memtest86 errors

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
So my girlfriend's 2-month old desktop has been spewing blue screens at her constantly and Windows told her it could be a memory problem. I got her to run memtest86 and it came back with over 1 million errors, which I found odd. Now before I encourage her to go out and buy more RAM, her old laptop had an issue with blue screening which made me wonder if it's a sneaky bastard of a file that's corrupted the memory. The PC is a storebought, 4GB RAM, think it's running a Core i3-2100, not much else I know about it, Win7 Home 64-bit, Intel on board graphics.

So should we replace the RAM?

The one and only!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Since it's only 2 months old you should be able to take it back to the store and they'll fix it under warranty (providing it was bought new)

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a fresh Windows install? Easiest thing to do...and cheapest...

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
A fresh install is also extremely inconvenient and possibly unnecessary! The PC was bought brand new but to be honest, it's some cheap piece of crap and my best guess is it's using pretty flimsy components.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Does it have more then 1 stick of RAM? If so pull one out and test again..if it still errors switch the sticks and test again...if good then the first stick is bad...highly unusual 2 sticks go bad at the same time.

If it errors for both...find a stick that is known to be good and try. If it still errors it's going to be the slots and its the mobo. If not then amazingly both sticks went bad.

Reaction score
Its under warranty, get a free replacement. Or just buy 8gb ddr3 1600 for $40-50 depending on brand. Its cheap.

Have you tried a fresh Windows install? Easiest thing to do...and cheapest...

Are you serious? You do know that memtest is completely standalone, right? Windows isn't involved in it running at all, so how the duck would a Windows reinstall help? Waste of time, and a waste of a post.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Its under warranty, get a free replacement. Or just buy 8gb ddr3 1600 for $40-50 depending on brand. Its cheap.

Are you serious? You do know that memtest is completely standalone, right? Windows isn't involved in it running at all, so how the duck would a Windows reinstall help? Waste of time, and a waste of a post.

Just a thought....no need to go off into a child-like tantrum cause you do not agree.

Reaction score
Just a thought....no need to go off into a child-like tantrum cause you do not agree.
Tell me, what does a stand-alone diagnostic tool have to do with what operating system you have installed? Absolutely Ducking nothing, thats what! I don't "not agree" with you, you just have no idea what you're talking about.

Please tell me, how does Windows affect a memory test when Windows doesn't boot?

If you have no idea what the duck you're talking about then don't post. You're misleading people who need help from people who can actually help them, not from people playing pretend PC tech.

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What error code do you get, or get most of the time? Different error codes mean different problems (obviously) so it could be something different than a RAM issue like perhaps a HDD issue. My advice would be to Google the error code first to see what the problem is, and then work on buying the parts necessary to fix it :D:

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Tell me, what does a stand-alone diagnostic tool have to do with what operating system you have installed? Absolutely Ducking nothing, thats what! I don't "not agree" with you, you just have no idea what you're talking about.

Please tell me, how does Windows affect a memory test when Windows doesn't boot?

If you have no idea what the duck you're talking about then don't post. You're misleading people who need help from people who can actually help them, not from people playing pretend PC tech.

You have serious issues man....

I believe this is sound advice on trying to diagnose the issue...

Does it have more then 1 stick of RAM? If so pull one out and test again..if it still errors switch the sticks and test again...if good then the first stick is bad...highly unusual 2 sticks go bad at the same time.

If it errors for both...find a stick that is known to be good and try. If it still errors it's going to be the slots and its the mobo. If not then amazingly both sticks went bad.

Sounds much better to try and see if the RAM is really the issue rather than:

Go spend money that might not even fix it...your a pro bro....

Back