Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

32bit to 64bit memory issues

Reaction score
Hello all!

- I hope this is the right section -

So here is global the story. A production server with databases and other applications running moved from a 32bit windows 2003 environment to a 64bit windows 2008 R2 environment. The big issue is that there are memory leaks over time in the application.

The application slowly allocates more and more memory until all of the 64GB is used up. This problem only occurs since the move to the new server. Which means there is a memory leak, but why now?

[STRIKE]Some catches about the story, the 32bit server has 8GB ram, which is quite questionable since 32bit can only allocate 4gb of ram.[/STRIKE]
The application is 32bit and running currently on a 64bit server.

My question, how is it possible that, since the move from a 32bit (possibly) environment to a 64bit envirement suddenly cause memory leaks.

I'd like to hear your thought about it. And if there 're questions, I'll try to anwser them.

Kind regards,

Joopie

Last edited:
Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Not really my forte so I was hoping someone with more knowledge would chime in and help you out....I'll give it this little bump in hopes it catches someones attention.

Reaction score
Did a bit of research apparently Windows 2008 R2 has some memory leak issues in itself. Have you updated it with the hot fixes provided by Microsoft? This is an issue that you need to debug yourself using poolmon and resource manager, and locate the exact problem and/or application that is causing the memory leak.

Links to hotfixes related to memory leak in Windows 2008 R2

Back