Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Accidentally pressed reset button now computer won't boot.

Reaction score
Hi,

While plugging in my headset I've accidentally pressed the reset button on my desktop, it instantly shut off my computer and not unfortunately I can't get it to boot up. I have googled around a lot but have found nothing to help sadly.

Quick specs - Gigabyte Mobo, EVGA 750w psu gold, Intel CPU, gigabyte gpu, 2 X 8gb ram sticks, ssd and sshd.

Things I've tried,
All the basics (unplugging, replugging, detection tool test on psu showed it working correctly)
Unplugged all parts (fans, gpu etc) back to the barebones (CPU, mobo and psu) but didn't work,
Tried plugging things back in one by one but nothing made it start,
Tried taking out the ram, swapping slots and using one at a time,
Manually shorted power pins and reset pins

Nothing has worked. When I turn the power on my led on my gpu flashes, then when I press the power button it stays on indicating something is happening but nothing else does anything. My monitor acts like it's turning on (no signal screen goes for 5-10 seconds then back) then that's it.

All help is appreciated, cheers.

Reaction score
Don't have a spare, how using the EVGA Detection tool the PSU runs completely fine. I've taken it down to being a mother board fault. I believe something is causing it to not boot but I'm unsure to what exactly. Using the Z170XP - SLI

It'd be best to throw in some spare parts to find out the root cause. If you have spare parts that is. Try using the CMOS battery for a reset as well, if you haven't already tried that.

Reaction score
Here's what you can try.

Reset your memory modules by removing them from the board.
Ensure that the reset button is not plugged in.

If those do not help your situation, change the plug sockets.
If that doesn't help try seeing if changing the wattage on your power supply helps.

It's differently a problem with the power and by the sounds of it you might have a short...

try using a different power plug.

Dbo Dev
Reaction score
Try to reset the BIOS. Some motherboards have a button which reset the BIOS.

When you boot your PC you can hear the bios sound?

Reaction score
If there isn't this "button" just take out the dos battery for 24 hours.

I wouldn't recommend this.

Honestly look at what caused it - you hit the reset button. Have you tried disconnecting the reset button from the motherboard? It may be unlikely but if you hit it at an angle a part of the reset switch may still be held down & is preventing the system from booting.

It just sounds alot more plausible than a headset shorting out the motherboard or the reset switch blowing out your PSU. Occam's razor.

Back