AMD Driver Issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Alpha Member DragonSeth is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    2,348Posts

    AMD Driver Issue.


    RaGEZONE Recommends

    RaGEZONE Recommends

    Hello everyone okay so i ran into multiple issues and i have had enough and getting tired of this..
    But here it is i restored my windows because when i updated to 17.4.2 drivers my second screen starting becoming a glitchy mess every time i move the mouse or anything.

    Okay so i reinstalled 17.2.1 drivers everything works fine until i look at the temps with after burner and then i start seeing 50c Idle doing nothing. and when i use 17.4.2 my idle temp is 30-40c
    okay but see this mostly happens when i over clock with after burner if i even move the mhz down or higher the screen starts to glitch out for no reason. Before i updated to these drivers every thing worked perfect.

    Drivers i have tried.

    • 16.9.2- Everyone Thing Works Perfect But Temps Are Not Even Close To Normal.
    • 17.2.1- Second Screen Is Glitchy.
    • 17.4.2- Second Screen Is Glitchy.



    Okay here is my specs

    • CPU: AMD FX 8350- 30c Idle which is normal
    • GPU: R9 280XFX 3GB DDR5- use to run 38-40c idle which is normal #Before Driver Updates
    • RAM: 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHZ: OC 1866mhz
    • PSU: 1000w EVGA Gold Edition



    Things i have tried:

    • I have tried restoring windows multiple times.
    • Fully cleaning the drivers.
    • Re installing old drivers seem to work but the temps are not normal at all.


    Update Before Anyone Says It's Bad Cooling Here's How Many Fans I Have:
    • 5x 120 MM
    • 1x 140 MM
    • 1x 200 MM



    Screen Shots:



    Sorry if my English is a little messed up in this i'm just tired.
    Last edited by DragonSeth; 13-04-17 at 06:50 AM.


  2. #2
    "(still lacks brains)" NoBrain is offline
    ModeratorRank
    Sep 2011 Join Date
    United KingdomLocation
    2,687Posts

    Re: AMD Driver Issue.

    Take out your GPU and give it a clean, make sure your case is clean for a start. After that downgrade to the stable driver and check the temps while idling and load. If they are within acceptable ranges (under 85C), note your absolute maximum is 95C, then you'll have to stick with that until a newer driver is out. Some other steps you can take is test it with another monitor, make sure the GPU is at its default clock speed, throw in different GPU (if you have one) temporarily, check Windows error logs see that tells you anything. If none of that works then I'm afraid you'll be forced to remain on the stable driver with slightly higher temps until they release a new driver.

    Also, 44C idle is really nothing to worry about.

    High idle temps are actually normal these days since the fans don't spin until it hits 60C or higher. I get lower temps while gaming than I do while idling (on the GPU). :)


  3. #3
    Alpha Member DragonSeth is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    2,348Posts

    Re: AMD Driver Issue.

    Okay thank you for the fast response I did lots of test since last night.

    17.2.1
    Allows my overclock my GPU with no screen tears but idle with dual screen is 40-45 and when playing games like doom or black ops 3 it will go to 65-75 bonus tip r9 280x fans constantly spin. I have them set at 75% out of 100. But on the newest driver 17.4.1 only time screen tare comes in is when I overclock with afterburner. But I just don't wanna decrease the life span of my card.

    Both of my monitors are needed because I live stream a lot.

  4. #4
    "(still lacks brains)" NoBrain is offline
    ModeratorRank
    Sep 2011 Join Date
    United KingdomLocation
    2,687Posts

    Re: AMD Driver Issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSeth View Post
    Okay thank you for the fast response I did lots of test since last night.

    17.2.1
    Allows my overclock my GPU with no screen tears but idle with dual screen is 40-45 and when playing games like doom or black ops 3 it will go to 65-75 bonus tip r9 280x fans constantly spin. I have them set at 75% out of 100. But on the newest driver 17.4.1 only time screen tare comes in is when I overclock with afterburner. But I just don't wanna decrease the life span of my card.

    Both of my monitors are needed because I live stream a lot.
    Ah I see, could have sworn the R9 2XX series had that fan stopping feature? My bad :D

    Low overclocks will not harm your card, GPUs are clocked a lot lower than what they are able to do safely and these days overclocking is easy as pie. I take it 17.4.1 is stable?

  5. #5
    Alpha Member DragonSeth is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    2,348Posts

    Re: AMD Driver Issue.

    17.2.1 is stable. But causes high temps I cleaned out my rig today which cause temps to drop some but in game im still getting 70-78c when playing 1080p games and honestly idk if its safe for this card.

    And you are right some cards by like msi or asus has the fan stopping . mine is by xfx.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Maybe im over thinking it i have no idea anymore.

  6. #6
    "(still lacks brains)" NoBrain is offline
    ModeratorRank
    Sep 2011 Join Date
    United KingdomLocation
    2,687Posts

    Re: AMD Driver Issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSeth View Post
    17.2.1 is stable. But causes high temps I cleaned out my rig today which cause temps to drop some but in game im still getting 70-78c when playing 1080p games and honestly idk if its safe for this card.

    And you are right some cards by like msi or asus has the fan stopping . mine is by xfx.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Maybe im over thinking it i have no idea anymore.
    78C is what I'd consider high temps but by no means a danger zone. Your card has a maximum of 95C. I'd say stick with the stable driver and keep an eye on the temps while gaming. When a new driver comes out just try that. I'd recommend adjusting your fan curve in the mean time as well and bump it all up a notch or two.
    Last edited by NoBrain; 14-04-17 at 02:32 PM.

  7. #7
    Alpha Member DragonSeth is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    2,348Posts

    Re: AMD Driver Issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoBrain View Post
    78C is what I'd consider high temps but by no means a danger zone. Your card has a maximum of 95C. I'd say stick with the stable driver and keep an eye on the temps while gaming. When a new driver comes out just try that. I'd recommend adjusting your fan curve in the mean time as well and bump it all up a notch or two.
    Well as i'm reading.Rrunning dual mointors will cause temps to double where it double the pixels.

    I'm running 2x1080p monitors 1 tv 1 monitor they said it will cause the idle temp to go up a bit.

    So far i'm not to worried. But if it tends to get any worse i will take apart the GPU and clean it and hope for the best.

    And i will be patient for a new driver and hope they fix the problems.

    Thank you for your help :) if i have any more problems i will update this thread.

    & AMD Forums Suck.

  8. #8
    "(still lacks brains)" NoBrain is offline
    ModeratorRank
    Sep 2011 Join Date
    United KingdomLocation
    2,687Posts

    Re: AMD Driver Issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSeth View Post
    Well as i'm reading.Rrunning dual mointors will cause temps to double where it double the pixels.

    I'm running 2x1080p monitors 1 tv 1 monitor they said it will cause the idle temp to go up a bit.

    So far i'm not to worried. But if it tends to get any worse i will take apart the GPU and clean it and hope for the best.

    And i will be patient for a new driver and hope they fix the problems.

    Thank you for your help :) if i have any more problems i will update this thread.

    & AMD Forums Suck.
    Dual monitors will not cause double the temperature, not even close. If your GPU is still in warranty then RMA the card and claim it's faulty, taking it apart more than likely will void your warranty.

  9. #9
    Alpha Member DragonSeth is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    2,348Posts

    Re: AMD Driver Issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoBrain View Post
    Dual monitors will not cause double the temperature, not even close. If your GPU is still in warranty then RMA the card and claim it's faulty, taking it apart more than likely will void your warranty.
    Not to be a heart breaker the second monitor has to cause the temp to go up more cause if I unplug the monitor and not my TV ill watch the degrees drop atleast to 15c. So either the driver is buggy. Or something is wrong with the card. And yes I know I have already took the card apart. I will just eventually buy a new gpu. Either a 470 or 1060.

  10. #10
    "(still lacks brains)" NoBrain is offline
    ModeratorRank
    Sep 2011 Join Date
    United KingdomLocation
    2,687Posts

    Re: AMD Driver Issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSeth View Post
    Not to be a heart breaker the second monitor has to cause the temp to go up more cause if I unplug the monitor and not my TV ill watch the degrees drop atleast to 15c. So either the driver is buggy. Or something is wrong with the card. And yes I know I have already took the card apart. I will just eventually buy a new gpu. Either a 470 or 1060.
    Unless the thermal paste on your GPU has been worn down to the point it's causing temperature to go up massively, which is entirely possible. But dual monitors would not double the temperatures, it'd only go up like 1-5C.

  11. #11
    Alpha Member DragonSeth is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    2,348Posts

    Re: AMD Driver Issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoBrain View Post
    Unless the thermal paste on your GPU has been worn down to the point it's causing temperature to go up massively, which is entirely possible. But dual monitors would not double the temperatures, it'd only go up like 1-5C.
    They any recommendations on thermal paste i should use on a GPU? as i never had to apply it on a gpu before.
    Well see with one monitor it used to be around 38-39c now its around 40-44c.

  12. #12
    "(still lacks brains)" NoBrain is offline
    ModeratorRank
    Sep 2011 Join Date
    United KingdomLocation
    2,687Posts

    Re: AMD Driver Issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSeth View Post
    They any recommendations on thermal paste i should use on a GPU? as i never had to apply it on a gpu before.
    That will more than likely void your warranty so go to the manufacturer and ask for an RMA.

  13. #13
    Alpha Member DragonSeth is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    2,348Posts

    Re: AMD Driver Issue.

    Thanks for the help but my GPU just finally gave up it stop giving me a signal I guess ill haft to get money for a rx 480 or gtx 1060. R.I.P 280xfx.

  14. #14
    "(still lacks brains)" NoBrain is offline
    ModeratorRank
    Sep 2011 Join Date
    United KingdomLocation
    2,687Posts

    Re: AMD Driver Issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSeth View Post
    Thanks for the help but my GPU just finally gave up it stop giving me a signal I guess ill haft to get money for a rx 480 or gtx 1060. R.I.P 280xfx.
    GTX 1060 is a damn good choice for 1080p gaming.

  15. #15
    Alpha Member DragonSeth is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    2,348Posts

    Re: AMD Driver Issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoBrain View Post
    GTX 1060 is a damn good choice for 1080p gaming.
    Well see getting money without my PC is a little hard but is Gtx 1060 better then asus rx 480?




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advertisement