Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Blue Screen of Death (Stop 0x6b)

In Progress... FFXIV...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

About 2-3 weeks ago, my laptop went all stupid after I restarted it for a Windows Update. I haven't restarted my laptop until mid-June 2013. After I restarted it and tried to load Windows, it went to the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). It is saying something like this:
Code:
PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

I have looked up on Google and many site on how to fix it, but none of them worked. I was thinking the cause of the BSOD was from the latest Windows Update back in July 2013 or the start of August 2013. But since I didn't restart my laptop until mid-June, I am not sure which update caused this problem.

My System Restore only goes back to July 9, 2013. When I try to restore it, it tells me that it did not fully restore because the registry couldn't be restored in the restore point that I picked. There are only 3 restore points that I can only do, but none of them worked.

My laptop is actually an Ultrabook, Sony Vaio.
This is the laptop/ultrabook I have:
It has the recovery environment built-in, but it doesn't repair correctly. I can make it back to the way it was when I got it, but it will delete/remove all the data that I want to keep which I am trying to prevent.

Any solution to this problem without losing my stuff?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Boot ubuntu live CD with NTFS support, backup all sensitive data flash drive, memory card, etc or move all sensitive data to for example if you have disk C:/ and D:/ move all needed data to D:/(i assume windows is installed in C), if you do not have two drives, then create them!

After backing everything up install windows into c:/ partition... do not touch the d:/ drive and all your files will be saved!

This is what i would do...

PS.

not really i always put all sensitive data in separate drive than windows, so i can reinstall it without Ducking around, put in cd and install!

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I know you said you tried everything Google offered...but I still need to ask...did you try booting from a usb and deleting the Bootcat.cache file in System32 folder then restarting? This should fix this issue.

In Progress... FFXIV...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I know you said you tried everything Google offered...but I still need to ask...did you try booting from a usb and deleting the Bootcat.cache file in System32 folder then restarting? This should fix this issue.
I did delete the bootcat.cache from my System32\CodeIntegrity still the same results with the BSOD.

Boot ubuntu from USB. Create it from another PC:
I'll try it out. I'll report back if it doesn't work or something.

Reaction score
Maybe just try to treat your electronics a little better? Not restarting a laptop for over 2 months? It should be turned off on a DAILY basis. The fact it even functions is a miracle, just take that as a win & buy a new one.

Honestly, it just needs a fresh format. The fact that you have layers & layers of windows updates installed on top of each other without a single restart means it could literally be anything causing your problem. Something has corrupted somewhere. Get Windows on a bootable USB, install from there.

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score
It's a trojan that tried to install some virus via driver update on your windows update process, but it failed. So registry and everything else works, except for %windir%\System32\Config. This causes the driver error on starting.
All you need is a clean System32 folder + re-installing all drivers. Perhabs it's better to do a clean install however.

In Progress... FFXIV...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It's a trojan that tried to install some virus via driver update on your windows update process, but it failed. So registry and everything else works, except for %windir%\System32\Config. This causes the driver error on starting.
All you need is a clean System32 folder + re-installing all drivers. Perhabs it's better to do a clean install however.

Clean install the windows update? Or Windows OS?

In Progress... FFXIV...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Maybe just try to treat your electronics a little better? Not restarting a laptop for over 2 months? It should be turned off on a DAILY basis. The fact it even functions is a miracle, just take that as a win & buy a new one.

Honestly, it just needs a fresh format. The fact that you have layers & layers of windows updates installed on top of each other without a single restart means it could literally be anything causing your problem. Something has corrupted somewhere. Get Windows on a bootable USB, install from there.
Technically, I only had one Windows Update at the time in July 2013. It only deals with the Visual Studio software that I had.

It's possible that might be the problem.

Boot ubuntu live CD with NTFS support, backup all sensitive data flash drive, memory card, etc or move all sensitive data to for example if you have disk C:/ and D:/ move all needed data to D:/(i assume windows is installed in C), if you do not have two drives, then create them!

After backing everything up install windows into c:/ partition... do not touch the d:/ drive and all your files will be saved!

This is what i would do...

PS.

not really i always put all sensitive data in separate drive than windows, so i can reinstall it without Ducking around, put in cd and install!
This method absolutely didn't work. My hard drive only has 1 disk. The other two disk are the recovery and boot disk.

Sorry for bumping this topic. Just wanted to say that I didn't get it fixed. I am starting to think that there isn't a way to fix any type of BSOD. Even if it is possible that it is fixed, there might be some other BSOD error that you might encounter. Just saying from my perspective since this is the second or more than the second time that happened to me dealing with BSOD.

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score
OK, let's try some things:

Common websites claim this problem for the destroyed Bootcat.cache. Insert your windows dvd, boot it and try to enter the recovery console. Then navigate to C:\Windows\System32\CodeIntegrity with the CD command, then DEL Bootcat.cache. You can even try to use recovery to boot to one state to remove the file. IDK system recovery works.
Source:

Another thing you could try is to press ALT+F11 on windows start, anywhere and everywhere to enter ACER recovery mode (just in case you use an ACER). Source:

Now the last hint I got about the trojan, that sounds very matching in your case. The thread starter in the project had the same issue and solved it manually. He tested it on installing a clean windows and porting all it's parts from his broken windows to his new clean windows to detect the error. The clean version worked until he copied the System32, so he removed System32\Config. Now the PC got a 0x0000007B bluescreen, because of the missing device drivers. Then he copied the System32\Config\drivers, without copying the content of System32\Config\. So just the child folder and IT WORKED. I would suggest you use the recovery mode of your install disc to backup your whole System32\Config folder under a new name and then remove all files BUT NOT FOLDERS in System32\Config. Source:

Good luck.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
the way to "fix" this is to reinstall windows.

and that "recovery" portion on your hdd was made for backing up...so where the back up dsic that came with the laptop? try using that(dout it would work, but give it a shot.)

also could try running windows 7 repair off the windows 7 install disk.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
the way to "fix" this is to reinstall windows.

and that "recovery" portion on your hdd was made for backing up...so where the back up dsic that came with the laptop? try using that(dout it would work, but give it a shot.)
also could try running windows 7 repair off the windows 7 install disk.

I forgot to mention that my ultrabook doesn't have a CD-ROM drive. Never had a built-in one.

Back