Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Bridging 2 Routers / Internet Connection

The World Is Yours
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to know if it is possible to bridge my two NETGEAR routers together.

The models of these routers are:
- WGR614V9
- DG834G-V3

The first router is not a standard ADSL router which would usually connect to the phone line. It is connected to a modem which looks like this...

PixelPro - Bridging 2 Routers / Internet Connection - RaGEZONE Forums

...using an ethernet cable, which then connects to another line joint with the TV/Cable socket.

The second router, a fairly old model from AOL (as far as I remember) is an ADSL router which would connect to a normal phone line.

Is it possible to "bridge" them so that I can have the first router downstairs connected normally through the cable socket and the second one upstairs? Can this be done wirelessly? I do not have any wall sockets upstairs so I cannot plug the ADSL router in to any phone lines.

My broadband ISP is Virgin Media.

Please let me know if it's possible, thanks!

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If you setup one as accesspoint, you should be able to use the other one in client mode, assuming either of those routers supports that.

The World Is Yours
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Do you mean DHCP Server / Client?

The router I am currently connected to (the cable one) has this option in the router's page:

not sure about the ADSL one as I haven't checked it.

And please could you explain it in a simple way, I do not really understand configuring routers :?:

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Do you mean DHCP Server / Client?

The router I am currently connected to (the cable one) has this option in the router's page:

not sure about the ADSL one as I haven't checked it.

And please could you explain it in a simple way, I do not really understand configuring routers :?:

No, I meant if you set-up one router as wireless access point (simply by enabling the wireless function of that router), you can configure the other router to act as a client and connect to the wireless access point. I'm not sure how to setup your kind of router to do so, you have the manual with them?

The World Is Yours
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Okay I'm starting to slightly understand now, and I'm looking through other websites for tutorials to do this. I will try to set it up later on. And unfortunately I do not have the manuals for either routers. They came without them.

Here's an image of how I wanted to set it up:

However, instead of that blue (ethernet) wire, I want to connect these two routers wirelessly. Is this possible or not?

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Okay I'm starting to slightly understand now, and I'm looking through other websites for tutorials to do this. I will try to set it up later on. And unfortunately I do not have the manuals for either routers. They came without them.

However, instead of that blue (ethernet) wire, I want to connect these two routers wirelessly. Is this possible or not?

Yeah, I'll try to explain it a little better.

You should enable wireless on the main router. That way, you can access the internet wirelessly from any device (smartphone, laptop, etc.). You should then setup the second router as a client which basically means it'll connect to the wireless network from the main router and act like a client (like your smartphone or laptop would). Devices connected to the second router by cable will then connect wirelessly to the main router.

-edit-

I think this is what NETGEAR uses for this:

Reaction score

It is possible... But why?

Also are these 2 modem routers? Is the 2nd modem a "cable" modem (ie. uses a coaxial cable)? Why exactly are you wanting to put these 2 on the same network? I ask so i can fully understand and possibly provide a better solution.

It is possible basically as Wizkidje explained if you're modem supports client mode, however anything connecting to that 2nd router which is on the wireless will ALL be sharing the bandwidth of that 1 single WiFi link. It will run slow. So very slow.

In regards to the DHCP server as you mentioned, it would be easier to disable DHCP on both routers and go all static but only if you have a few PC's and/or devices and don't add extra devices regularly. Otherwise disable DHCP on the 2nd router and enable DHCP on the main. Use the scheme as labeled on the img- using 1.1 & 1.100 for the routers. However if you're having 2 internet gateways on there so you can switch between them, using a static would be easiest.

Also make sure only the main router has anything like NAT enabled.

Last edited:
The World Is Yours
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks. The current router I'm using is already in wireless mode. There is a PC connected via ethernet downstairs to this router and two upstairs which are connected wirelessly (I'm currently on a PC connected wirelessly.) I'll test to see if I can configure the two routers tomorrow or later on today and post the results. Thanks

Back