Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Building my own PC

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey Ragezone,

I was thinking about buying a new pc, but after doing some research I decided why not just make my own? I'm really new to this but I love doing new things (I'm a fast learner).
Can someone tell me where to start at? A list of items (best + cheapest) that I will need will be great!
It will not be a 100% only gaming pc, but I want it to be a pretty neat/fast one.

-Thanks!

Ragezone Furni Releaser
Reaction score
If you use it for gaming than take:
- Intel Core I5/I7 with 2.6/3.0 GHz processor
- 8/16 GB of RAM.
- Nvidia Geforce graphics card with 512 MB minimum.
- Liquid Cooling

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This is my build atm (My budget is 700-800)

3a4742a7f28f2b4d04b81259ea232633 - Building my own PC - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Seems like a decent build, I would only recommend a different graphics card; I've read some bad reviews on the one you have selected. I used an Nvidia GeForce for a while and never had any issues with games I played.

ex visor
Loyal Member
Reaction score
In reality, it all depends on what you're using the PC for. If you're not using it for 100% gaming, then what else do you plan to do? College homework, read lectures, program, stream videos, what?

Based on whatever you plan to do, is then when you do your research and figure the best type of build. In general if you want it to be fast I wouldn't go anything less than an i5, but then again if I'm getting an i5 I may as well fork out the rest for an i7, go big or go home. Next, you need to decide on the amount of RAM you'll need at minimum, and the type of graphics card.

maartenvn specs aren't bad, though I do agree with the above statement in that I wouldn't get that particular graphics card because of the said reviews.

Most important: make sure all of your parts are compatible for convenience, lol.

Aaron

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
In reality, it all depends on what you're using the PC for. If you're not using it for 100% gaming, then what else do you plan to do? College homework, read lectures, program, stream videos, what?

Based on whatever you plan to do, is then when you do your research and figure the best type of build. In general if you want it to be fast I wouldn't go anything less than an i5, but then again if I'm getting an i5 I may as well fork out the rest for an i7, go big or go home. Next, you need to decide on the amount of RAM you'll need at minimum, and the type of graphics card.

maartenvn specs aren't bad, though I do agree with the above statement in that I wouldn't get that particular graphics card because of the said reviews.

Most important: make sure all of your parts are compatible for convenience, lol.

Aaron

Im going to be programming, watching movies, homework, read, once in a while gaming.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'll never understand why people always recommend liquid cooling to people that are never going to overclock...I say again, unless your overclocking you won't need liquid cooling, the regular fan and heatsink that comes with 90% of CPU's is enough cooling for anything you throw at it outside of overclocking.....

Save yourself a few dollars and put that elsewhere....

Same goes for your processor....I personally would rather save some money and go with an AMD FX processor ( a 6 core or 8 core processor will save you about $100+) and spend the extra money on something that is going to more obviously make my system seem better...ie: more RAM for mutitasking speed or stronger GPU for better gaming and possible future 4K stuff....

I've played on computers that have the FX-9590 (a $300 CPU) and computers that have the i7 4930K ( a $550 processor) and the differences to me as a gamer and regular computer user were negligible...I mean sure if you are doing professional grade 3D rendering or massive 4K converting...you will win out with an i7....but us regular Joe's...it's just overkill...and on a 700-800 budget...you don't need overkill.

My 2 cents.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'll never understand why people always recommend liquid cooling to people that are never going to overclock...I say again, unless your overclocking you won't need liquid cooling, the regular fan and heatsink that comes with 90% of CPU's is enough cooling for anything you throw at it outside of overclocking.....

Save yourself a few dollars and put that elsewhere....

Same goes for your processor....I personally would rather save some money and go with an AMD FX processor ( a 6 core or 8 core processor will save you about $100+) and spend the extra money on something that is going to more obviously make my system seem better...ie: more RAM for mutitasking speed or stronger GPU for better gaming and possible future 4K stuff....

I've played on computers that have the FX-9590 (a $300 CPU) and computers that have the i7 4930K ( a $550 processor) and the differences to me as a gamer and regular computer user were negligible...I mean sure if you are doing professional grade 3D rendering or massive 4K converting...you will win out with an i7....but us regular Joe's...it's just overkill...and on a 700-800 budget...you don't need overkill.

My 2 cents.

I wont use liquid cooling, not need for it. (Maybe in the future) As of right now, I'm not gaming. I want to stay with intel, and the one I have selected was suggested by a few pc builders. I heard Nividia is good for a graphics card, what you think? (What model will go with my build)?

Ragezone Furni Releaser
Reaction score

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Really use Liquid Cooling for CPU Cooler.
It is the best cooling system.

He is right.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I wont use liquid cooling, not need for it. (Maybe in the future) As of right now, I'm not gaming. I want to stay with intel, and the one I have selected was suggested by a few pc builders. I heard Nividia is good for a graphics card, what you think? (What model will go with my build)?

Figure out how much money you have left in your budget after choosing everything but the GPU and I'll give you my idea on what I think you should get....

But to be honest...for best bang for your buck my GTX 660 still rocks all games released recently on high or better settings...I might be upgrading it next month exclusively because GTA V is going to wear it out on Ultra and I refuse to play a game such as that on anything less.

R9's are awesome...the new GTX 800 and 900 series rock all if you can afford them....

I personally HATE AMD...I had an AMD GPU and every time I updated the drivers for it my computer would blue screen...I finally gave up on AMD and have not had an issue since going Nvidia...Nvidia's software developers, in my opinion, just seem better.

As for the water-cooling debate....I stick to my guns on that...ON A BUDGET BUILD it's just not required...

Now I do use water cooling myself....but I am overclocked to 4.6 at 1.41v and mine idles around 95F and under stress testing maxes at around 120F...I'd like to push it to 5ghz and above, which these Bulldozers can do, but I need to maximize my box airflow and add a few fans and it just doesn't seem worth it to me...all for bragging rights.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Figure out how much money you have left in your budget after choosing everything but the GPU and I'll give you my idea on what I think you should get....

But to be honest...for best bang for your buck my GTX 660 still rocks all games released recently on high or better settings...I might be upgrading it next month exclusively because GTA V is going to wear it out on Ultra and I refuse to play a game such as that on anything less.

R9's are awesome...the new GTX 800 and 900 series rock all if you can afford them....

I personally HATE AMD...I had an AMD GPU and every time I updated the drivers for it my computer would blue screen...I finally gave up on AMD and have not had an issue since going Nvidia...Nvidia's software developers, in my opinion, just seem better.

As for the water-cooling debate....I stick to my guns on that...ON A BUDGET BUILD it's just not required...

Now I do use water cooling myself....but I am overclocked to 4.6 at 1.41v and mine idles around 95F and under stress testing maxes at around 120F...I'd like to push it to 5ghz and above, which these Bulldozers can do, but I need to maximize my box airflow and add a few fans and it just doesn't seem worth it to me...all for bragging rights.

Thanks so much for this, really did help me!

Back