Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Can't Type 'p' or 'o' (Got a weird combination once)

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
Hi, so yeah, on my HP Compaq Presario CQ57, since yesterday I haven't been able to type the letters P or O.

I've been having to use the on screen keyboard to type these letters, and it's a pain in the butt.

This only happened one time, but whilst typing P I got a strange combination, it was something like this: ))%#&% idk tbh, but just something like that.

Please help out, this is overly annoying.
I've lost a LOT of data and files on my laptop due to the laptop forcing into system restore, and the problem is still not fixed. :(:

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Have you tried to use a can of compressed air on the keyboard? Might just need cleaning.

I don't see how a software issue can only cause them 2 letters to not work. You would be seeing other issues if there was a software problem. It's either going to be debris in the keyboard or a hardware problem with the keyboard itself.

Try plugging in a USB keyboard and see if those 2 letters work.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
Have you tried to use a can of compressed air on the keyboard? Might just need cleaning.

I don't see how a software issue can only cause them 2 letters to not work. You would be seeing other issues if there was a software problem. It's either going to be debris in the keyboard or a hardware problem with the keyboard itself.

Try plugging in a USB keyboard and see if those 2 letters work.

There are a few other problems. I cannot access BIOS settings on startup as usual, Skype's login box.

I've removed both keys and cleaned them a little but nothing.

I think a software issue would also prevent the on screen keyboard P and O keys from working too, so I'm a little confused.

It's not a cleaning issue imo.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've had a similar problem, my cousin changed the region/language of my keyboard and that caused random things to come up whenever i pressed certain buttons. that might be the case, take a look at it

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
I've had a similar problem, my cousin changed the region/language of my keyboard and that caused random things to come up whenever i pressed certain buttons. that might be the case, take a look at it

I never changed the language and never have, where's the settings for this?:D:

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Using your Windows disk do a repair. If it's a software issue this will fix it.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
try resetting your bios(teke the MB battry out for 20 sec wile pc is unpluged from power.), if that doesnt work, update it(flash it).

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommnd flashing your Bios if you have no idea what you're doing. The chances of it going wrong are too damn high (sorry for that) and he might end up with a pc that won't boot. Resetting Bios however, if that is related to the issue, might be a good idea.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommnd flashing your Bios if you have no idea what you're doing. The chances of it going wrong are too damn high (sorry for that) and he might end up with a pc that won't boot. Resetting Bios however, if that is related to the issue, might be a good idea.

Nah, I've tried, and I've even done a full 8 hour disk check and system restore, I'm starting to think it's hardware related. However the mystery remains as to why I got a strange combination one time upon attempting to press the P key..

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Could be a short somewhere...arcing across solders can sometimes create weird things in electronics...

Problem is it's a laptop...they are difficult to get into and diagnose things...best just to take it to a shop or send it to HP for repair...

Back