Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Can I combine different size RAM sticks?

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Recently upgraded my PC to Asus Maximus VIII Ranger with 2x4GB 2666MHz RAM sticks from Kingston. Ran into issues with programs/games crashing due to running low on memory, so I'm going to have to get more.

Was considering on upgrading additional 2x8GB 2666MHz RAM sticks from Kingston as well, so my question is, would these be compatible together? They should be essentially the same RAM sticks, the only difference is the size.

These are the RAM sticks in question. I currently have the 8GB kit and would like to get the 16GB kit on top of that.

Pee Aitch Pee
Reaction score
Yes you can do that, but not recommended. I would always get the exact same size/type/serial number of memory when it comes to RAM sticks.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
So I ended up ordering the RAM kit that I linked here. Installed it in, but my system would not recognize more than 20GB of RAM. I tried to make sure that they were all properly in there, but despite of my attempts only one of the old RAM sticks would work. MemOK didn't find any issues. So now I removed both old 4GB sticks and just kept the new 8GB sticks in.

Is there anything I could still try to get the old sticks to work or am I just better off not wasting my time on trying?

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
Yes you can use different size sticks even with different speed rates however I recommend using the same clock speed to not lose performance or get an unstable machine. As long as the clock speeds is the same then you should be fine. There is more you should look into but this is one of the key factors. My explanation is a bit over simplified.

Back