Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Connection Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi. For some reason, I can't get people to connect to my IPv4/Static IP. I even portforwarded. Same with my regular IP.

I have a netgear router. My IPv4 is like this 10.0.0.x . Can someone help asap? Thanks :D

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
10.0.0.1 = LAN(home network)
ipchicken.com = WAN(Outside network the one in witch ppl connect with)

they dont NOT connect with your LAN IP. unless there in the same house as you.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They can't connect to my WAN IP :c. I can't even connect to it. I can't even port forward it..

Reaction score
Define "connect"? If they can ping you then that's a connection, you just need to figure out why they can't sustain a link.

Your 10.0.0.x address is your internal LAN IP, accessible only by those on your network. Your external gateway address is what people need to access, and depending on your ISP it may be fixed (static) or change every time your modem dials a connection (dynamic).

How exactly are you trying to port forward an external IP address? That doesn't even make sense...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Through my router? They can't even ping me..

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Right let's run through some basic procedure:

- As mentioned by Rish, 10.0.0.x is an internal IP, an IP for you to use behind the router in complete safety
- The WAP IP is the address used to identify yourself on the world wide web, check it out using ipchicken.com
- You can't connect via WAN because it's on your own PC, which doesn't know your WAN IP, so you use 127.0.0.1 (localhost)
- When portforwarding, did you use a port that's in the 1024-49151 range?
- When portforwarding, did you ensure you portforwarded on both TCP/UDP/either or?
- As mentioned by Rish, have you asked someone to ping your WAN IP?
- Have you checked your firewall settings on the machine hosting the server?

edit; if they can't ping you, make sure you're giving them the right IP address to ping.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
the reason why you cant connect to your own WAN, is because you have double NAT, this doesn't mean your friends cant connect to it
when portforwarding use your LAN IP(IPv4) as the portforward address, or you could(NOT recommended) much easyer way id put your LAN IP into the DMZ they should be able to play whatever your hosting.

Reaction score
He just told you how... Port forward a specific port to your LAN IP or put your PC on the DMZ. If you don't know what that is or how to do it, you probably shouldn't be hosting anything. I don't mean to be an butt, but there is nothing worse than having a server down because the "Admin" simply has no idea how to setup or troubleshoot anything & simply wanted to "host" things. It gives you a bad rep, nobody wants anything to do with your severs, and all of your clients/players leave due to instability/downtime.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've done it before. Just something happened to my computer and it doesn't work the way I did it. Thanks for your help. I'll try to reset my whole PC.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
maybe try or

might be easyer.

Reaction score
Well if it's dynamic any port forwarding would be pointless because when your DHCP lease renews it could give you a new IP. Same with your external WAN IP, if it's dynamic then every time your modem initiates a PPP session your IP will change and people trying to connect with your old address won't get anywhere. Everything needs to be static when hosting anything.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I put set my IPv4 address as static a few minutes ago. So it won't change, right?

Reaction score
If you statically set an IP address into your network adapter, then yes it will only use that address & will not change. If you have multiple machines on your network though it's usually best to choose a static IP outside your DHCP's range. You can check and change the range in your router config page, the range is usually quite large so just make it smaller and use an address outside of that.

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
on how to statically assign an IP to a printer. It's the same principle for a PC, really. Just look for your PC's name and assign it an IP that's on the same subnet mask as your default gateway (say your default gateway is 10.0.0.1 with a mask of 255.0.0.0, you could choose 10.0.0.2 with a mask of 255.0.0.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back