Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

High CPU Temperature

Reaction score
im having 70+C temperature in my cpu... it also went up to 101C :< what would be the problem?

1) added new thermal paste.
2) cleaned the heatsink (intel lga 775 heatsink)
~~~
specs:
core2quad q9550
intel stock cooler
gtx560ti
4gb ram

what do you suggest?

~~~
update 1:
im getting around 51C - 60C (i live in philippines btw HOT COUNTRY) hehe. is it high or normal?

Last edited:
Rogu3
Reaction score
im having 70+C temperature in my cpu... it also went up to 101C :< what would be the problem?

1) added new thermal paste.
2) cleaned the heatsink (intel lga 775 heatsink)
~~~
specs:
core2quad q9550
intel stock cooler
gtx560ti
4gb ram

what do you suggest?

~~~
update 1:
im getting around 51C - 60C (i live in philippines btw HOT COUNTRY) hehe. is it high or normal?
Is it a Laptop or a Desktop?

Reaction score
He has a 560ti, so obviously a desktop.

Open it out, clean all the dust. Make sure you have proper airflow. In from the front / bottom, out through the top. It is very important that air is flowing this way. If you have fans blowing air inside the case from all angles, you're just creating more hot air.

It isn't uncommon for the core2 processors to run hot. My core2duo used to reach 60/70c gaming, though it should never hit 101c. Make sure the thermal paste was applied completely and correctly. Bad application is usually the cause of overheating. 100% contact between the processor and heatsink is very important.

Also make sure your fan on the heatsink isn't dying. This is kind of obvious, but its still something to check. Just watch the fan for 5 minutes and makes sure there are no intermittent slowdowns. A previous heatsink I owned had the fan spinning normally for about 30 seconds then would slow down to a crawl for about 10 seconds before spinning back up again.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Clean the CPU fan, , take it apart vacum the heat sink(under the fan), make you have put to much paste on the cpu.

Reaction score
update 1:

ALREADY CLEAN THE CPU FAN AND CLEAN ALL PARTS INSIDE MY CASE :D

Reaction score
This is normal depending on your average room temperature. Higher than average but as I said, core2 processors from my experience always run hot.

If you can keep it between 50c and 75c under load, you're fine.

Rogu3
Reaction score
He has a 560ti, so obviously a desktop.

Open it out, clean all the dust. Make sure you have proper airflow. In from the front / bottom, out through the top. It is very important that air is flowing this way. If you have fans blowing air inside the case from all angles, you're just creating more hot air.

It isn't uncommon for the core2 processors to run hot. My core2duo used to reach 60/70c gaming, though it should never hit 101c. Make sure the thermal paste was applied completely and correctly. Bad application is usually the cause of overheating. 100% contact between the processor and heatsink is very important.

Also make sure your fan on the heatsink isn't dying. This is kind of obvious, but its still something to check. Just watch the fan for 5 minutes and makes sure there are no intermittent slowdowns. A previous heatsink I owned had the fan spinning normally for about 30 seconds then would slow down to a crawl for about 10 seconds before spinning back up again.
Well, either way, I was just going to say to ensure that all the vents aren't blocked, and like stated check for dust.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
pffff you calling that HOT?

My laptop:

Eureka7 - High CPU Temperature - RaGEZONE Forums

Reaction score
thats a laptop =/= desktop, and ppl wounder why desktops are better. *rolls eyes*

This post makes no sense.

The temperatures are irrelevant, doesn't matter if it's 60 degrees or 100 degrees, the relevant information is what the AMBIENT temperature is. 100 degrees in the middle of the desert is to be expected, but 60 degrees in the middle of Alaska is burning hot. In general anything more than 30 degrees above ambient is considered "hot" for a desktop.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
He does kind of have a point though...I mean a laptop has to sit on something...most of the fans point down for the CPU...they tend to run hotter due to this.

My desktop has liquid cooling so it never gets above 15C....and thats even in summer in Texas :)

Reaction score
He does kind of have a point though...I mean a laptop has to sit on something...most of the fans point down for the CPU...they tend to run hotter due to this.

My desktop has liquid cooling so it never gets above 15C....and thats even in summer in Texas :)

He said "laptop =/= desktop" then proceeded to say one is better than the other. If they aren't the same then they aren't comparable. If you need raw power a desktop will always win, hands down. But for space & mobility & convenience a laptop will always win. A laptop tries to get as close to desktop performance as possible without having internal space for components generating alot of heat (which are on the higher-end).

Alot of laptops (especially higher-end) have fans which suck air in from the front, run it through the chassis & blow it out the back or side. My new MSI GE60 does this, and also has a manual button to turn the fans to max for a quick drop in temperature. The feet on this also give it a good 1/2 inch clearance on the bottom. Laptop coolers are always a good idea, but with cooler chips & better more efficient cooling systems they've becoming less of a necessity.

Reaction score
My laptop arriving today vents the CPU at the bottom and the two GPUs on the left and right sides. Seems like a solid idea.

I think the problem with most laptops is they try to use a small 2 to 3 square inch vent for all heat ventilation. From my own experience, laptop coolers don't really do anything. Laptops vent to the bottom and extra fans pushing air down will have a minimal effect. Fans blowing air up in to the laptop from the bottom will just entirely duck the cooling system.

Back