Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Fixed] Computer keeps crashing; GPU? PCI Slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I bought my GPU (EVGA GTX 760) a few months ago, and I installed it fine, everything seems to be running fine, but it seems that when I start playing GPU intensive games, like GTA V; after about 1 minute of actual gameplay, my system crashes (I will post any errors, etc.. down below)

Now, naturally, I thought it was a one off, but it happens every time I boot up GTA and go into gameplay. I haven't tested with any games, because, well.. I don't have any. I have tried Minecraft, and it seems to play fine with no problems at all! Some more background info is, my computer does crash (system turns off, and restarts) every now and then, at one point it did it once a day, until I did a complete re-image of my system. It still does it every so often.

I did look into my setup, and noticed I wasn't using the default PCI-E power cords or whatever they are that game with the GPU; I was running power directly from the PSU, but then I noticed when using these cords, it gives the GPU MORE power, since there are more inputs.. I'm not good with the cord names, etc.. But yea. I thought that was the issue, but it seems not.

I've enabled BSOD and small dump files, but I don't seem to be getting any BSOD or minidump logs, so that's out of the question? Although, I am getting a error in Event Log "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." - This leads me to the thought that the system is running out of power, so the PSU isn't powerful enough? Although prior to purchasing the GPU, it said minimum of 500W, which is what I have installed, a 500Watt PSU.. There are enough power cables to give everything it's own dedicated input of power, (I removed my CD Drive to free up power?) and still getting the same problem.

I am going to put the GPU in another PCI-E slot, and see if that fixes up anything, but right now, I am too frustrated to go back inside my computer; I've already gone in and tried re-wiring things like 6 times in the past hour..

I also have already ran a CPU stress tester (prime95) and it seems to be holding up well, very well infact. So that's out of the question..

Also note, I never had any problems prior to installing my GPU, I could run everything off integrated GPU fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Re: Computer keeps crashing; GPU? PCI Slot?

you don't have enough power...minimum of 500W is just for the GPU...your also powering everything else in the computer and when the GPU ramps up it runs out of power and falls on it's face.

Reaction score

Oh, holy poop? Serious.. I actually had no clue. I'm not really the best with this whole computer building stuff yet, so I only know the basics. Since I have a 500W power supply now, what W should I upgrade to? My specs are as follows:
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Black 24x DVDRW OEM
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard
Aerocool Strike-X 500W
Intel Core i5 3570
G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked 2GB
Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SSD

I am just thinking of building a whole new rig, so if I do, any suggestions as to what I should look out for? Like how would I calculate how much power I will need, etc..?

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Your rig is still viable with todays games...I'd recommend simply buying a new PSU and saving your money up for upgrades...i7 or SLI (which I just did last month and OMG the difference is AMAZING)

As for what PSU to get that depends on if you have the money to spend for possible future upgrades or just want to squeak by for now...also take into account the brand name of PSU does matter...off brand names do not consistently keep the voltage at a premium level and may cause issues in the future...

For example...I'm running FX-6200 OC'ed and SLI GTX 660's OC'ed on a Corsair 650W PSU with no problems running GTA V at Ultra at 20-30 FPS at 1080. No power issues at all...and thats with me having Cathode lights in my rig and watercooling and 5 LED fans. Consistent voltage is a must.

I would recommend 650W up to 1000W if you ever plan on running Titans on day....as long as they are a good brand they will give you years of service with no issues.

Reaction score

Your rig is still viable with todays games...I'd recommend simply buying a new PSU and saving your money up for upgrades...i7 or SLI (which I just did last month and OMG the difference is AMAZING)

As for what PSU to get that depends on if you have the money to spend for possible future upgrades or just want to squeak by for now...also take into account the brand name of PSU does matter...off brand names do not consistently keep the voltage at a premium level and may cause issues in the future...

For example...I'm running FX-6200 OC'ed and SLI GTX 660's OC'ed on a Corsair 650W PSU with no problems running GTA V at Ultra at 20-30 FPS at 1080. No power issues at all...and thats with me having Cathode lights in my rig and watercooling and 5 LED fans. Consistent voltage is a must.

I would recommend 650W up to 1000W if you ever plan on running Titans on day....as long as they are a good brand they will give you years of service with no issues.
Oo, well, I guess I'll go past Centrecom on the weekend and pickup a new PSU!

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score

While you're looking at PSUs, I highly recommend Corsair. They're fast becoming a brand I trust for pretty much everything. Don't buy into the thermaltake or coolermaster hype. Hard to go wrong with Corsair!

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Price isn't bad (I'm in Australia too), but for crucial things like PSUs I still like sticking with my favourite brands. Given you've had no issues and you like that brand, I don't see why you shouldn't grab it, :). Also that wattage is ideal for your set-up and leaves a little room for upgrades later in the PC life that might drain more power.

Reaction score

I was thinking of doing a little flash-upgrade (looks, and components); with this:
Liam - [Fixed] Computer keeps crashing; GPU? PCI Slot? - RaGEZONE Forums

I would bring over my current GPU and RAM, thoughts? Or should I just upgrade my PSU for now, in my current build, and upgrade at a later time? Click here to see a list of my current specifications, and give me your thoughts? My current build is all in a "In Win MANA 136 Mid Tower Black", I'm kind of getting sick of my current chassis, so I wouldn't really mind upgrading the chassis, but if I upgrade it, should I also do so with my motherboard and CPU? fallenfate Monolith

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score

I've not used ASRock motherboards before so I can't say whether its a good pick or not, I'm usually a Gigabyte or Asus guy. Liquid cooling won't be too necessary with only one card unless you don't have many fans (I have 6) or if its quite warm there. Without it though you won't need a heater in winter, my study is a furnace from PC heat output, ;).

That particular i7 might be more than you need too, unless you're future-proofing as well, in which case why not? :D

Reaction score

I've not used ASRock motherboards before so I can't say whether its a good pick or not, I'm usually a Gigabyte or Asus guy. Liquid cooling won't be too necessary with only one card unless you don't have many fans (I have 6) or if its quite warm there. Without it though you won't need a heater in winter, my study is a furnace from PC heat output, ;).

That particular i7 might be more than you need too, unless you're future-proofing as well, in which case why not? :D
Awesome, I might just get the stock version (not the overclockable version) of the i7! Which is a tad cheaper, but with less processing power. Although I am keen to upgrade, just prices are hefty. I'll give Centrecom a call tomorrow to see if they have the parts! If so, I'm totally doing a upgrade!

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score

The i3/5/7 processors basically fit like this:

i3 = casual usage
i5 = medium editing and gaming usage, suitable for most people to use and therefore the most often recommended
i7 = photo and video editing, heavy games, things with a lot of data to process

Even the non-OC-suited i7 beats the i3/5 for processing hands down, so yeah, I'd go that route too. Unless you wanted that copy of GTA V that comes with that special, you could work that into the cost too technically to justify the more expensive one, ;). But yeah, I'm sitting on a i7-4770K and have no issues whatsoever with the stock 3.5ghz.

Reaction score

The i3/5/7 processors basically fit like this:

i3 = casual usage
i5 = medium editing and gaming usage, suitable for most people to use and therefore the most often recommended
i7 = photo and video editing, heavy games, things with a lot of data to process

Even the non-OC-suited i7 beats the i3/5 for processing hands down, so yeah, I'd go that route too. Unless you wanted that copy of GTA V that comes with that special, you could work that into the cost too technically to justify the more expensive one, ;). But yeah, I'm sitting on a i7-4770K and have no issues whatsoever with the stock 3.5ghz.
Already have GTA V :blushing:

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Bought the parts, and built my new computer. Needless to say, so far everything is going amazingly; according to plan! Will make a new thread later showing her off :tongue:

Definitely mate! Have to find a game to test out. Elite: Dangerous is a fun space flight sim if you're into those.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Damn it Liam...You jinxed me...been having no problems now I have the exact problem you were having lol.

Time to upgrade my PSU!!!!

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Well even the experienced ones can make mistakes...when I upgraded my Mobo last month I decided I was going to zip tie my water cooling hoses together loosely to make it more visually appealing...my computer was not shutting off due to low power as I first thought....it was heat...

Note to others....do not zip tie your water cooling hoses together....separate them as far as they can go...

Wasted $100 on a bad butt EVGA 850W 80 Bronze PSU.......blah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back