Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Fixed] Dell battery charger stops charging my dell laptop after directly or 1-2 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
First of all, i just want to say that i'm sorry if i placed this in the wrong section.

The laptop i'm using is a Latitude E5440 (late 2013)...
And my charger is a 65w 19.5V (it also has a light on it which shows if it is working or not.)

Whenever i connect my charger to the wall the lights starts shining and all, but when i connect it to my laptop sometimes that light goes off directly, and sometimes it charges it for 1-2 mins and disconnects. Sometimes it charges it 20-30 minutes. It's kinda random... but it mostly disconnects it directly.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this or what the problem is please share your opinions n sugguestions.

( btw laptop and charger is 6-8 months old )

Last edited by a moderator:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Re: (Dell) battery charger stops charging my dell laptop after directly or 1-2 min.

Have you tried buying a new charging cable? The cable could be knackered from when it has been folded, if someone has rolled over it on an office chair, anything really. That would be my first port of call.

If that doesn't work then it will be the port on the actual laptop. If that is the case, then it being just 6-8 months old it should still be under warranty and get it sent off for repair.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Re: (Dell) battery charger stops charging my dell laptop after directly or 1-2 min.

Have you tried buying a new charging cable? The cable could be knackered from when it has been folded, if someone has rolled over it on an office chair, anything really. That would be my first port of call.

If that doesn't work then it will be the port on the actual laptop. If that is the case, then it being just 6-8 months old it should still be under warranty and get it sent off for repair.

But here is the thing tho... When i remove the battery and connect the charger it runs normaly, so i'm thinking it might be the port hmm, anyways i'll check what you said (my friend has the same laptop i'll test his charger on mine and get back to this)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

But here is the thing tho... When i remove the battery and connect the charger it runs normaly, so i'm thinking it might be the port hmm, anyways i'll check what you said (my friend has the same laptop i'll test his charger on mine and get back to this)

If removing the battery fixes then possibly the battery/connection for the battery.
Rishwin will probably know more.

Reaction score

Have you changed your charger reccently? If the charger does not give enough current it can't charge your battery e.g. if your laptop needs a 3 Amper charger you can't use a 2 Amper one. That might also explain why if you pull the battery your laptop works normally...

If that's not the issue then try this

1. Turn on the laptop

2. Unplug the power cord from the laptop and blow several times into the end of the recepacle that plugs into the laptop

3. Blow several times into the laptop where the power plugs into

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

Have you changed your charger reccently? If the charger does not give enough current it can't charge your battery e.g. if your laptop needs a 3 Amper charger you can't use a 2 Amper one. That might also explain why if you pull the battery your laptop works normally...

If that's not the issue then try this

1. Turn on the laptop

2. Unplug the power cord from the laptop and blow several times into the end of the recepacle that plugs into the laptop

3. Blow several times into the laptop where the power plugs into

I tried the blowing part, and it worked for like 40 mins charge and then the carge disconnected again. And i got the charger with the computer (full package, and also my friend has the same laptop and charger and it works fine for him.)

Idk if this helps but i think this problem started accuring after i downloaded 30 windows 8.1 updates (ehh probably has nothing to do with that)

+ now i can unplug the charger and plug it into the wall again and it will activate, and i can charge the computer for like 10-20 min and it disconnects. (The charger itself loses the shining = not charging )

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Are there any noticeable heat differences, such as the battery feels really hot when the charger shuts off, or the chrager itself feels really hot?

Could be numerous things, a short in the battery causing the charger to reset itself, or a short in the charger itself which is causing it to shut down then reset itself.

Either way it sounds like some kind of protection is doing it's job, keeping you from possibly burning your house down. Is there anyone you know that has a charger you can borrow to test and see if we can remove the charger from the equation?

Just to be sure, being the charger works fine when the battery is removed I'm leaning more toward the battery being the issue. I just like to cross all my T's and dot all my I's.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

Are there any noticeable heat differences, such as the battery feels really hot when the charger shuts off, or the chrager itself feels really hot?

Could be numerous things, a short in the battery causing the charger to reset itself, or a short in the charger itself which is causing it to shut down then reset itself.

Either way it sounds like some kind of protection is doing it's job, keeping you from possibly burning your house down. Is there anyone you know that has a charger you can borrow to test and see if we can remove the charger from the equation?

Just to be sure, being the charger works fine when the battery is removed I'm leaning more toward the battery being the issue. I just like to cross all my T's and dot all my I's.

The battery is not hot,, but the charger (the big thing) is a little hot, just a little bit, and it was like this before when i charged for like 2-3 hours. And here is the werid thing, today (right now) i have been charging my computer or about an hour without any problem... But i'm pretty sure it will accure again. Tho today, the laptop said something about the charger not being recognized while i was booting it...

And i'm getting my friends charger tomorrow and i will test it, he has the exact same.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

I let the charger be for a full day without trying to charge with it and i charged it with my new charger which i bought yesterday. Laptop is charging fine and there are no problems. Funny thing is that both chargers work now, the "broken" one and the new one. So had i waited a few days and let it be without charging with it, somehow it would have solved it self since both work for nonstop now.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help, much appreciated :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back