Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

GPU Crash GeForce GTX 675M

That one pokemon thing
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I've been having this problem for a while now and I still haven't found an answer.
When I'm playing a game that takes some toll on the laptop, the screen just goes black and I have to force reboot the laptop (and even then it might not reboot correctly the first time).
I've been monitoring the heat of the GPU and it reaches around 60-70 degrees celsius (I think, the program doesn't tell me if it's Celsius/Fahrenheid).
I've been googling a bit, and it seems more people have the same problem, although I couldn't find an answer to the problem there.
Is there anyone who knows what could cause it and what I can do to fix it?

I'm running an Alienware m17x R4, upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro N. The name of the GPU is GeForce GTX 675m.

Thanks in advance

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
60-70c is 140F+...way to hot for a GPU to run efficiently and hot enough to toast a CPU...for example my GTX 660 when running The Valley benchmark on Extreme HD, which is meant to make your GPU fail if it can, only gets to 50c at the most extreme parts.

You have 1 of 2 problems...or both.

Needs a good cleaning...blowing out the fan vents with compressed air is not a good idea as some will have you believe because all it does is push the dust into the machine farther.....it needs to be cracked open (by a professional if you have even an inkling of inexperience with this sort of thing) and cleaned thoroughly.

Second...the fan on the GPU has died....

Is it still under Dell's warranty? If so call Support, if it's a hardware issue or just needs cleaning they will tell you to send it in...they will fix anything wrong with it...Alienware's are over priced but the warranty coverage is amazing...most of the time no questions asked they repair or replace.

"(still lacks brains)"
Loyal Member
Reaction score
60-70c is 140F+...way to hot for a GPU to run efficiently and hot enough to toast a CPU...for example my GTX 660 when running The Valley benchmark on Extreme HD, which is meant to make your GPU fail if it can, only gets to 50c at the most extreme parts.

You have 1 of 2 problems...or both.

Needs a good cleaning...blowing out the fan vents with compressed air is not a good idea as some will have you believe because all it does is push the dust into the machine farther.....it needs to be cracked open (by a professional if you have even an inkling of inexperience with this sort of thing) and cleaned thoroughly.

Second...the fan on the GPU has died....

Is it still under Dell's warranty? If so call Support, if it's a hardware issue or just needs cleaning they will tell you to send it in...they will fix anything wrong with it...Alienware's are over priced but the warranty coverage is amazing...most of the time no questions asked they repair or replace.

60 to 70 degrees celsius is no where near enough to toast either a GPU or CPU. Modern day GPU's can last up to 90/95 degrees celsius, CPU's are about 80/85 - bare in mind, not for very long. But for a built-in GPU's it's completely different, you really shouldn't be gaming on a built in GPU.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Seems too hot to me....and its obviously overheating to the point off shutdown to protect it....

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Pick one of these up...they are fairly cheap and extend the life of your components....heat is the root of all evil inside the computer.

Back