Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Graphics Card Power Supply

The World Is Yours
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So I've upgraded my graphics card from a Nvidia GT 610 to a GTX 570, which requires a power supply.

It looks like this:
PixelPro - Graphics Card Power Supply - RaGEZONE Forums

The graphics card has two ports for the power supply so it requires 2x of this connector.

Problem is, my PSU doesn't have enough ports so I could plug in the other side of this wire (the white part) I've only managed to connect two. I need two more ports (white side of the wire) for the other power supply connector so both of them have been plugged in to my PC.

Do I need to buy one of these splitter cables (image below) or can I just leave one of the power supply connectors unplugged? What happens if I don't have it connected?

PixelPro - Graphics Card Power Supply - RaGEZONE Forums

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
you need 650W PSU MINIMAL, doesnt matter if you have the connections on a PSU lower then 650 it wont work(well it may do but you got a high chance a few things will be fucked up becuase of it.)

650W PSU will have the right connections.

The World Is Yours
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I've been doing a bit of research and figured out that a 550W PSU may work, it even says so on the nVidia GTX 570 specs page.

My current specs are:
500W ATX PSU
AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz CPU
6GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GTX 570
500GB HDD

I also have about 5-6 devices connected via USB during the time I use the computer. I read that a Corsair VX550 PSU would handle the graphics card properly so I was thinking of buying one. But I'm not completely sure - maybe I should be getting a 600W+ PSU so I have enough power for all the connected devices as well as internal parts (CPU, etc)

What do you think?

Reaction score
Pay no attention to the PSU requirement on their website, that is purely the amount of power required to run the GPU alone at full load. Factor in the power the rest of your system is using & you'll need alot more. I would not bother with a 500-550W "upgrade" i would go for a 650W to make it worthwhile.

As for your original question, it would work but the moment the PSU requires more power than those power rails can supply, the GPU will either just shut itself down or your PC will reboot or blue-screen.

Last edited:
The World Is Yours
Loyal Member
Reaction score
After posting my previous message above, I ordered a Corsair VX550 PSU and it seems to be doing fine with my system at the moment, everything is running well and I'm able to play most games with maxed out settings... which wasn't possible for me before - the PC would reboot itself

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Why do people ask for advice then not follow what is given? I'll never understand peoples choices of buying such small PSU's for upgrades...I mean they are pretty cheap for larger ones...I bought my 1K watt Cosair HK series on sale for just under $200...and I'll never need to buy one ever again.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Pay no attention to the PSU requirement on their website, that is purely the amount of power required to run the GPU alone at full load. Factor in the power the rest of your system is using & you'll need alot more. I would not bother with a 500-550W "upgrade" i would go for a 650W to make it worthwhile.

As for your original question, it would work but the moment the PSU requires more power than those power rails can supply, the GPU will either just shut itself down or your PC will reboot or blue-screen.

or mainbord/psu safety may trigger shut off, when power button is pressed.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'd try it, worst case your psu fries, might experience stability issues until then.

Personally, I don't think you need 650w for a gtx570, depending on what else is installed. I have a 750w psu on my i7 950 with 2 gtx 580's in SLI, with 2 ssd's and 2 mechanical hdd's, plus fans, etc. I've never had an issue.

Bear in mind, not all power supplies are created equal. I have PC Power & cooling 750w, which is 750w rms, 850w max. I replaced an OCZ 750w because it couldn't provide the power.

Back