Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Need some guide on VPS

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello,

Recently, my friend told me to buy a VPS host to host a server (preferrably RAN Online). I purchased a VPS on hostgator but sadly it is CentOS. Here are my scenarios:

I installed a GUI on my CentOS to have a User Interface login.
I installed a Virtual Machine (VBox) but when I try to create a virtual OS, I can't configure the RAM :?:

Next is I used OpenVZ but I can't run it well; it has plenty of errors and had few resources to learn the code debugging. Next thing is I installed a Virtual Machine Tool but when I connect to localhost, it says "CPU Socket Topology has changed".

Do you have any guides/tutorials to base on how to run windows via my VPS?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
What you're trying to do is called nested virtualization and it's not a favourable solution. I'm not sure but I don't believe OpenVZ/Virtuozzo has such capabilities as I've only seen hardware virtualization solutions support it. Next time you look for a VPS provider make sure it's using XEN or KVM if you want such capabilities.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I tried contacting centos and they send me this link: <-- so I might have 2 kernels running on 1 virtual machine. So, its really capable to have nested virtualization in centos..

I just need some experts who had already setup a server using VPS. Because some told me that they are just using a VPS on their server and they won't send me the tutorials/guides on how to do that. They have the same VPS as mine.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
You're provider, HostGator, is using Virtuozzo on its host OS (shared kernel) and it is the kernel that needs to support nesting; that doesn't look to be to the case here. Cancel your subscription with HostGator and find a new VPS provider that supports Windows directly if that's what you really need. They will advertise if they do or don't, simple. I don't know where you are in the world but some suggestions for Windows guest support are (*NOT* VPS Classic, Charged monthly), (Charged per-hour), (Charged per-hour), and anyone else who advertises Windows guest hosting.

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hello,

Recently, my friend told me to buy a VPS host to host a server (preferrably RAN Online). I purchased a VPS on hostgator but sadly it is CentOS. Here are my scenarios:

I installed a GUI on my CentOS to have a User Interface login.
I installed a Virtual Machine (VBox) but when I try to create a virtual OS, I can't configure the RAM :?:

Next is I used OpenVZ but I can't run it well; it has plenty of errors and had few resources to learn the code debugging. Next thing is I installed a Virtual Machine Tool but when I connect to localhost, it says "CPU Socket Topology has changed".

Do you have any guides/tutorials to base on how to run windows via my VPS?

Which version of CentOS are you using? If you are using 6.x I highly recommend using KVM Platform instead.

It is very easy to install with yumgroup install command.

It should be something like that

yum groupinstall "Virtualization" "Virtualization Platform" -y

You can manage it with Virt-Manager.

yum install virt-manager

Reaction score
Which version of CentOS are you using? If you are using 6.x I highly recommend using KVM Platform instead.

It is very easy to install with yumgroup install command.

It should be something like that

yum groupinstall "Virtualization" "Virtualization Platform" -y

You can manage it with Virt-Manager.

yum install virt-manager

KVM needs AMD-V/VT, which a VPS should not have.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
How about using other kernels and use symbolic links from other kernels? is that possible?

Or can WINE do the installation of the following windows apps:

MSSQL
STUDIO

Back