Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Help, My computer has broken down.

Learning C# - Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Currently I've got a computer at my house that someone gave to my neighbour and then it got given to me.. The specs are pretty poop. (The comp was made four days after my birthday last year) .
PC Specs -
Microsoft Windows XP Proffessional. Service Pack 3z
32 Bit (x86)
Intel Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHZ 2.68GHZ.
1.5GB Of Ram.
37.2GB Hard drive (26.9GB free.)
I cannot connect it to my internet ATM due to it not having a wireless adapter.
Video Card - Radeon 9200 SE Family.
I know that on the microsoft website it says that this can run Windows 7, But im wondering what I should do in order to make it work its best. Also when i run the Win8 Upgrade Advisor it tells me that I need atleast 1GB of ram, When I currently have 1.2GB of Ram left.
Pretty poop computer, I know. (Im thinking of going through Hard Rubbish to get better parts)
So, whats your thoughts? PICTURES WILL BE ADDED SOON.

Last edited:
Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Re: Can my comp handle win vista/7/8

With those specs... Id rather stay with XP. Both win 7 and 8 eat way too much RAM

Learning C# - Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score

I wouldnt really want to go with Vista, It screwed with my HP computer and I never got my data back from it.
Also, Whilst im talking about my comp. For some strange reason The Simpsons: Hit And Run Whenever I try playing it it Auto crashes for some weird reason. It wont let me uninstall either.. Ive fixed that by Manually Uninstalling and Reinstalling << But it still does the uninstall thing. It is meant to have problems with some of the graphics of the game with my Video card, But it isnt meant to crash.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Vista is the worse ever created....worse than ME IMO...

I would stay in XP...it runs pretty much everything and is not a resource hog...

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Moved to help section, and I'd say stick with XP, as Monolith suggested Vista and W7 are resource eaters and your computer will noticeably bog down if you don't have sufficient enough specs to run either OS.

Learning C# - Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Its just im getiing sick of the bulky style of XP and im more used to 7, Ive done style changers (Looks a little bit more like 7, Too bad i cant change the colours.)

By the way, Is there any edits or well Upgrades i could preform on the computer?
(Im looking at the video card, Ram and Hard Drive.)
Then ill go onto the processor.
I am currently learning how to build computers, As well as edit them. It wasnt until a year ago i realised the Hard Drive wasnt in the motherboard. :L

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score

For what your mobo can upgrade to you wouldn't see enough improvements to even be worth it....I'd recommend buying a new mobo and processor deal first...then slowly building up from that.

Most processors come with onboard graphics that do well in a pinch....saves you a little starting money.

Learning C# - Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Could i do anything with 5$? LOL

Motherboard is a Gigabyte_P4_Triton

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score

You can run Windows 7 with that specifications, just don't expect it to do more than just browse the internet. You won't be able to run most types of software without having to wait several hours.

As for upgrading, grab a cheap AMD upgrade kit (motherboard + cpu (+ gpu) + memory), should get you rather decent specifications at 250 - 300$.

Learning C# - Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score

First thing im thinking of doing: Adding a USB 3.0 Port, And then fixing my multimedia audio controller. (Drivers are uninstalled, And i dont know what ones to install)

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score

First thing im thinking of doing: Adding a USB 3.0 Port, And then fixing my multimedia audio controller. (Drivers are uninstalled, And i dont know what ones to install)

Adding a USB 3.0 port? I doubt your CPU and even harddisk are able to process 5 Gbps.

Learning C# - Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score

I guessed that if it could handle 2.0 and 1.0 it could handle 3.0?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

<-- mass driver pack, should have it.

Learning C# - Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score

... As i said before, I cannot connect this computer to my wifi as it does not have an adapter.

Wait, Realised it does it offline.
WAIT, Its over three gbs, I dun have a usb that big.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

... As i said before, I cannot connect this computer to my wifi as it does not have an adapter.

Wait, Realised it does it offline.
WAIT, Its over three gbs, I dun have a usb that big.

i know its low tech, but DvD?

Learning C# - Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score

... I used them all up burning things..
(And i lost most of them)

Learning C# - Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Well im fucked.

My neighbour kindly lended the sims: unleashed to me.
I took it back to my house and installed it on this comp.
Halfway through the computer shutdown, And the green light eent off to be replaced by a red light (Solid) And when i turned it off to turn it back on, Nothing. Im almost crying because i dont know if ill be able to get this comp working, Or the disk out. Help is REALLY needed here.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Try it again after it cools down.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Well im fucked.

Halfway through the computer shutdown, And the green light eent off to be replaced by a red light (Solid) And when i turned it off to turn it back on, Nothing. Im almost crying because i dont know if ill be able to get this comp working, Or the disk out. Help is REALLY needed here.

that pc has a bad HDD sectors or bad RAM.

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Well im fucked.

Green light? Which of the at least 10 green lights are you referring to?

Back